Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:07:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Petitions  (Read 672 times)
UPENtXF (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 07:59:35 PM

I propose this thread as the place to post links to various petitions we want others to know about.

Here is one I think might be of interest to Americans: Stop protecting foreign borders, to better protect American borders.

If you agree with petitions in this thread, let's retweet them and post links on social networks of your choice.

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:31:07 PM

I don't think our borders really need much more protection.  What we need is a much smaller military.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 08:35:55 PM

I don't think our borders really need much more protection.  What we need is a much smaller military.
The US government has kinda painted itself into a corner on that one. While large militaries are expensive, large numbers of unemployed soldiers have historically been much more expensive - typically to the health of the State that produced them.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:40:01 PM

The US government has kinda painted itself into a corner on that one. While large militaries are expensive, large numbers of unemployed soldiers have historically been much more expensive - typically to the health of the State that produced them.

Good point.  If the military somehow disbanded and all those soldiers had to come home to find work elsewhere, we'd really be in trouble.  Unemployment's already a huge issue.

veteranBtc

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:02:25 PM

Hmm, they need 99999 more signs..
Let's see

UPENtXF (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:48:43 PM

Good point.  If the military somehow disbanded and all those soldiers had to come home to find work elsewhere, we'd really be in trouble.  Unemployment's already a huge issue.
+1 I think that most people living on the Mexican border and those opposed to illegal immigration would disagree with you that it doesn't need any more protection. Moving the overseas military resources to the Mexican border would save tax dollars, bring the ones spent back to American communities instead of pouring them into foreign economies, improve American image overseas, and kill other birds with the same stone.

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

90% of border issues are caused by the fact that on one side of the border there is demand, and on the other there is supply, and people are trying to prevent the demand being met by the supply.

In other words, the border problems are caused by the border.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:57:29 PM

What's the argument for pro-borders again?  Aside from "They took yer jerbs!" Tongue

Anonymouss

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:50:34 AM

Did you know more people committed suicide last year than died in war? True story.
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:14:16 PM

This was a very common problem in Rome. Soldiers would come home after a war and there wouldn't be enough work (especially since an influx of slaves usually occurred after a conquest). Violent crime and theft would rise drastically.
UPENtXF (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:15:07 PM

I think this is also a worthwhile petition to support: http://goldstandard2013.org/

Their Utube channel is also cool: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp44kipuKcqpBIPqnh-GYQ

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 01:07:29 AM

I took a class on group psychology once, here is the reason for petitions.

A petition is usually worded in such a way that you will likely side with the person doing the petition. You will put your name down further verifying that you are on the side of the petitioner.

If, down the road, the subject comes up...then you know what side you are on and you have gone the extra step of putting your name to it so you will be more willing to defend it. And even donate to it or volunteer.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 01:17:20 AM

I took a class on group psychology once, here is the reason for petitions.

A petition is usually worded in such a way that you will likely side with the person doing the petition. You will put your name down further verifying that you are on the side of the petitioner.

If, down the road, the subject comes up...then you know what side you are on and you have gone the extra step of putting your name to it so you will be more willing to defend it. And even donate to it or volunteer.
Even if they sneakily change the wording around to make it mean the opposite. (Granted, that's not about petitions, but I bet the same trick could be used)

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 02:02:26 AM

Let me take care of the borders of my own private property.

Meanwhile, stop oppressing my potential new neighbors.  They have as much right to buy the property next to me as people with the same color skin and same language as me.

(Frankly, they work harder and have better character, too, but that's neither here nor there.)

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 06:47:06 AM

Even if they sneakily change the wording around to make it mean the opposite. (Granted, that's not about petitions, but I don't think the same trick could be used)

I think the same trick could be used. Why don't you think so?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 02:03:35 PM

Even if they sneakily change the wording around to make it mean the opposite. (Granted, that's not about petitions, but I don't think the same trick could be used)

I think the same trick could be used. Why don't you think so?
You changed the quote. :p

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: