Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:58:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My concerns with Bitcoin7 and Tradehill  (Read 4104 times)
joepie91 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:53:51 AM

Before I say anything, let me get this straight: I do NOT accuse either site of being a scam or not being trustworthy. This is just a list of concerns I have regarding the two that may be worth looking into, and my own reasons as to why I am wary of these exchanges.

Also, please leave out the matter of countries that the exchanges originate from. It has no use to use statistics to determine whether an exchange is trustable or not, instead it would be a better idea to look at concrete information and facts.

So recently two new exchanges, Bitcoin7 and Tradehill, have popped up. A few things that are bothering me.

Tradehill:
* Seems to have copied the design (CSS / page structure) from Mt. Gox and modified it.
* Copypasted the FAQ from BitcoinExchange.cc (using Google Cache you can see a version of their FAQ where in one place it actually said "BitcoinExchange" instead of "Tradehill")
* Set up out of nowhere by what looks like an unknown member within "the community", yet immediately looks very polished.
* Has a stable, almost artificial looking, volume, while on other exchanges the volume fluctuates a lot more
* Has a refferal system that offers discounts
* Grows from nowhere to reasonable big (compared to other exchanges) in a matter of days.

Bitcoin7:
* Allegedly (?) copypasted things from Tradehill
* Offers monetary incentive for established member(s) to promote their site - and where it is claimed there was no monetary incentive, positive posts look a lot like fake "hosting reviews"
* Hard to track down who is behind it
* Set up out of nowhere by what looks like an unknown member within "the community", yet immediately looks very polished.
* Appears to be operating unlicensed and therefore illegally (in their jurisdiction)

Does anyone have any clarification about any of this? I've seen Bitcoin getting attacked from all sides in the past few days, and the above things really do make me wonder whether they are legitimate exchanges.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dr.bitcoin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 12:51:10 PM

The copy/paste including the words BitcoinExchange is true, I've seen it myself when it was still on the respective pages. It may be either a rush job, or maybe the same developer/owner is behind all these three websites (not a novel marketing technique.) Only time will tell if they are scams or not  Grin However, they deserve a chance, and I agree that we should not accuse anybody without proof.
Cusipzzz

Activity: 334

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:07:55 PM

I'm sure they are fine for small amounts.

But the fact the mtgox has a strong track record and many months of history handling 5figure + amounts smoothly - it will be a long, long time (if ever), before one of these new exchanges builds up that level of trust.
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:27:44 PM

Bitcoin7:

just wondering do you know who is behind mtgox or btcex?

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
joepie91 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:47:45 PM

Bitcoin7:

just wondering do you know who is behind mtgox or btcex?
Mt. Gox is run by Tibanne Co. in Japan, MagicalTux being Mark Karpeles according to an article by Reuters.

No idea about btcex, but wasn't that the Russian exchange that caused controversy here? I'm not saying that I personally trust every single exchange on BitcoinCharts for example, I have just looked at Bitcoin7 and Tradehill, and decided to make a topic about my concerns. That doesn't mean I automatically vouch for all other exchanges Smiley

I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:01:24 PM

Bitcoin7:
https://www.bitcoin7.com/index.php?show=imprint
Now THAT was hard, eh? Roll Eyes

Also as they claim to operate other game money exchanges, they probably took a template they already had and just copy-pasted it to fit "Bitcoin".

Also making claims that someone is operating "illegally" is quite easy - especially with BTC there's not that much regulated or available, as it is a relatively new field of operations. It's very often not sure for example if BTC are "money", "goods" or anything else.

I wonder why you trust the former "Magic the Gathering online exchange" more, especially as it provides a very large single point of failure for whole Bitcoin (many miners will stop mining if they can't get USD for mining - there are NOT many idealists in the network, rather a lot of kids who use the chance to get a free GPU!).

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
joepie91 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:53:09 PM

Bitcoin7:
https://www.bitcoin7.com/index.php?show=imprint
Now THAT was hard, eh? Roll Eyes
I recall a thread where people were trying to figure out what was on the address and ended up on an address with some shady businesses registered, and no real name to be found. But I might be wrong.

Also as they claim to operate other game money exchanges, they probably took a template they already had and just copy-pasted it to fit "Bitcoin".
Possible.

Also making claims that someone is operating "illegally" is quite easy - especially with BTC there's not that much regulated or available, as it is a relatively new field of operations. It's very often not sure for example if BTC are "money", "goods" or anything else.
This claim was in regards to the various non-Bitcoin currencies that were used. Again I can't recall in exactly what thread it was (and the forum is too slow now for me to go look for it), but someone pointed out that under their jurisdiction they would be operation illegally because of the other currencies, not because of Bitcoin.

I wonder why you trust the former "Magic the Gathering online exchange" more, especially as it provides a very large single point of failure for whole Bitcoin (many miners will stop mining if they can't get USD for mining - there are NOT many idealists in the network, rather a lot of kids who use the chance to get a free GPU!).
I am aware of issues with Mt. Gox and I definitely do not blindly trust it (especially not with the recent happenings and the security that is in my opinion seriously lacking), but at least it's clear who runs it, and it's not just a name - there is communication to the outside world and even to the press. It can't just vanish overnight without anyone having any clue where they went.

cuddlefish

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:51:14 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17004.msg226321#msg226321

Can you say, CSRF?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 09:16:57 PM

Before I say anything, let me get this straight: I do NOT accuse either site of being a scam or not being trustworthy. This is just a list of concerns I have regarding the two that may be worth looking into, and my own reasons as to why I am wary of these exchanges.

Also, please leave out the matter of countries that the exchanges originate from. It has no use to use statistics to determine whether an exchange is trustable or not, instead it would be a better idea to look at concrete information and facts.

So recently two new exchanges, Bitcoin7 and Tradehill, have popped up. A few things that are bothering me.

Tradehill:
1. * Seems to have copied the design (CSS / page structure) from Mt. Gox and modified it.
2. * Copypasted the FAQ from BitcoinExchange.cc (using Google Cache you can see a version of their FAQ where in one place it actually said "BitcoinExchange" instead of "Tradehill")
3. * Set up out of nowhere by what looks like an unknown member within "the community", yet immediately looks very polished.
4. * Has a stable, almost artificial looking, volume, while on other exchanges the volume fluctuates a lot more
5. * Has a refferal system that offers discounts
6. * Grows from nowhere to reasonable big (compared to other exchanges) in a matter of days.

I'm gonna respond to all your points here:

1. MtGox (Gox) barely has a page structure to begin with, the site is very simple with only a few links on the left. Once you login to TradeHill (TH) the site is wildly different than Gox
2. Not sure of this, however that dosent really make a difference. Most sites copy their competitors information
3. Being polished has nothing to do with being set up out of nowhere. TH has a team of excellent programmers based here in the United States.
4. Can't really answer this, they are a much smaller site although the second largest exchange.
5. Thats what made them grow. Its a pretty good marketing strategy actually.
6. I answered this above ^. They are growing fast because they have a good, American based team, they answer CS issues quickly, they have a nice site, and good business ethics. I think they will surpass Japanese based Gox in a few months forsure.

I must point out that I know the TradeHill team personally so my response is a tad biased towards them. My point being, I trust TradeHill more than Gox. The only reason we all use Gox is because they were the first ones.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
joepie91 (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:44:14 PM

Tradehill:
1. * Seems to have copied the design (CSS / page structure) from Mt. Gox and modified it.
2. * Copypasted the FAQ from BitcoinExchange.cc (using Google Cache you can see a version of their FAQ where in one place it actually said "BitcoinExchange" instead of "Tradehill")
3. * Set up out of nowhere by what looks like an unknown member within "the community", yet immediately looks very polished.
4. * Has a stable, almost artificial looking, volume, while on other exchanges the volume fluctuates a lot more
6. * Grows from nowhere to reasonable big (compared to other exchanges) in a matter of days.

1. MtGox (Gox) barely has a page structure to begin with, the site is very simple with only a few links on the left. Once you login to TradeHill (TH) the site is wildly different than Gox
2. Not sure of this, however that dosent really make a difference. Most sites copy their competitors information
3. Being polished has nothing to do with being set up out of nowhere. TH has a team of excellent programmers based here in the United States.
4. Can't really answer this, they are a much smaller site although the second largest exchange.
6. I answered this above ^. They are growing fast because they have a good, American based team, they answer CS issues quickly, they have a nice site, and good business ethics. I think they will surpass Japanese based Gox in a few months forsure.

I must point out that I know the TradeHill team personally so my response is a tad biased towards them. My point being, I trust TradeHill more than Gox. The only reason we all use Gox is because they were the first ones.

1. Whether they "barely have a page structure" or not has nothing to do with it. It looks similar enough in layout and visual characteristics, for it to be likely that it was just copied and modified CSS and HTML. That someone doesn't consider it "special enough" does not mean you can blindly copy it - Mt. Gox definitely has a distinct page style, even if it's 'minimalistic'. I haven't seen the "members area".
2. I don't know what kind of businesses you are talking about, but I don't know of any industry where copying text (and obviously not even really changing it except for a find-and-replace on the name) is standard practice - or acceptable, for that matter.
3. If they indeed have an actual team working on it, point taken.
5. I tend to get a bit itchy when I see referal systems, because in my experience this is mostly because said site can otherwise not grow for some reason, be it a bad business model, shady underlying business, or just because it's impossible to get into a monopolized market. I hope it's the latter, but I can't discount past experiences with other reasons for referal systems.
6. The "American based team" seems irrelevant to me. While I understand that some people might have an (in my opinion unjust) aversion against for example east-european countries (and businesses originating there), I don't see how "American based" would be considered any more trustable by someone than for example "West European based" or even "Japan based". As for the customer support, I have no experience with this, and the same goes for their business ethics (do you have any examples?).

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 12:30:16 AM

Tradehill:

1. Whether they "barely have a page structure" or not has nothing to do with it. It looks similar enough in layout and visual characteristics, for it to be likely that it was just copied and modified CSS and HTML. That someone doesn't consider it "special enough" does not mean you can blindly copy it - Mt. Gox definitely has a distinct page style, even if it's 'minimalistic'. I haven't seen the "members area".
2. I don't know what kind of businesses you are talking about, but I don't know of any industry where copying text (and obviously not even really changing it except for a find-and-replace on the name) is standard practice - or acceptable, for that matter.
5. I tend to get a bit itchy when I see referal systems, because in my experience this is mostly because said site can otherwise not grow for some reason, be it a bad business model, shady underlying business, or just because it's impossible to get into a monopolized market. I hope it's the latter, but I can't discount past experiences with other reasons for referal systems.
6. The "American based team" seems irrelevant to me. While I understand that some people might have an (in my opinion unjust) aversion against for example east-european countries (and businesses originating there), I don't see how "American based" would be considered any more trustable by someone than for example "West European based" or even "Japan based". As for the customer support, I have no experience with this, and the same goes for their business ethics (do you have any examples?).

Thanks for responding!

1. I guess you missed my point, thats my fault. What I was getting at is they did not copy Mt.Gox, in fact, theres nothing about Mt.Gox to copy. Have you logged into TH? You'll see their site is wildly different then Gox
2. In pretty much every industry, something trivial like the FAQ, will be used as a basis for a competitor. Agreed, they should not have copy-pasted it, but if those are your grounds for being not trusted, then your gonna have to have more than that my friend!
3. Yup, a really good team! Thats why they will surpass Gox in a few months.
5. I assume thats your own personal opinion and not your professional one? I've been in the marketing industry for over 8 years and referral programs most defiantly do not mean that. Try to look at it like this, can you think of a more cost-effective method of marketing an exchange in such a new and young industry?
6. Again, are you someone who's in the e-commerce industry? If you are, you definitely know that an American company who is catering to an English speaking consumer base is much better than a Japanese one. ESPECIALLY a company in which your transferring thousands of dollars to! I don't know about you, but I'd rather the American one.

I hope I articulated my points, let me know if you have any questions!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

joepie91 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 12:47:41 AM

Tradehill:

Thanks for responding!

1. I guess you missed my point, thats my fault. What I was getting at is they did not copy Mt.Gox, in fact, theres nothing about Mt.Gox to copy. Have you logged into TH? You'll see their site is wildly different then Gox
2. In pretty much every industry, something trivial like the FAQ, will be used as a basis for a competitor. Agreed, they should not have copy-pasted it, but if those are your grounds for being not trusted, then your gonna have to have more than that my friend!
5. I assume thats your own personal opinion and not your professional one? I've been in the marketing industry for over 8 years and referral programs most defiantly do not mean that. Try to look at it like this, can you think of a more cost-effective method of marketing an exchange in such a new and young industry?
6. Again, are you someone who's in the e-commerce industry? If you are, you definitely know that an American company who is catering to an English speaking consumer base is much better than a Japanese one. ESPECIALLY a company in which your transferring thousands of dollars to! I don't know about you, but I'd rather the American one.

There is definitely something about Mt. Gox to copy. Quick comparison of main layout elements, obviously showing things being copied:

Now I am not a particular supporter of copyright law as it stands, but I do believe that you can't simply copy the entire design (and make a few changes) for commercial purposes, especially not for a relatively lucrative business.

The thing about referal programs is just based on what I have experienced in the past few years, from an "internet user" viewpoint. It's all great that you look at it from an "ecommerce guy" viewpoint, but it's the "regular internet users" that have to deal with the consequences - and from a "regular internet user" viewpoint I've found that I (and many others with me) have usually found companies that rely this heavily on referal systems, are often shady in one way or another.

I understand your point about physical location, but I tried to make a point about American vs West-European mostly. I don't think that for example a UK-based business would be any different from a US-based business in that regard.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 12:56:45 AM

Thanks for responding!

TradeHill is an American company?

I am tired of trying to decipher Magical Tux's thick Jap accent  Roll Eyes

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 01:03:19 AM

There is definitely something about Mt. Gox to copy. Quick comparison of main layout elements, obviously showing things being copied:

Now I am not a particular supporter of copyright law as it stands, but I do believe that you can't simply copy the entire design (and make a few changes) for commercial purposes, especially not for a relatively lucrative business.

The thing about referal programs is just based on what I have experienced in the past few years, from an "internet user" viewpoint. It's all great that you look at it from an "ecommerce guy" viewpoint, but it's the "regular internet users" that have to deal with the consequences - and from a "regular internet user" viewpoint I've found that I (and many others with me) have usually found companies that rely this heavily on referal systems, are often shady in one way or another.

I understand your point about physical location, but I tried to make a point about American vs West-European mostly. I don't think that for example a UK-based business would be any different from a US-based business in that regard.

LOL I think this conversation is over.

I have proved my points exactly.

The Western European vs American argument is completely erroneous to the topic were discussing

oh and by the way, bringing those screenshots was a waste of effort on your part and did not help your case at all LOL

Cheers buddy

TradeHill is an American company?

I am tired of trying to decipher Magical Tux's thick Jap accent  Roll Eyes

Yes sir! The management are Americans based in Chile, and the programming and design team in Washington, DC.

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:04:16 AM

Sure, they're Americans...in Chile.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:05:44 AM

Well, Chile is in America too - just not in the "United States"!

Anyways - calling a completely basic design (horizontal + vertical navbar, company name in the footer(!)...) a ripoff is a bit much in my opinion.
People are used to this layout from MtGox - why suddenly swith to something completely new and out-of-the-box, just to be different?!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
dutt

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 02:19:04 AM

These exchanges are popular because they have a combination of:
1) Look good.
2) Have some sorta API, or are going to
3) Allow lots of payment/withdraw methods
4) Ref. System.

And looking good shouldn't be anything fishy to be appalled by lol. With the recent BTC buzz I'd say we can expect more and more exchanges to pop up.

MadSweeney

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:51:38 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2011, 03:12:26 AM by MadSweeney

I'm disappointed to learn that TH is American. I wish for diversity in our exchanges.

However, the OP's concerns are NOT enough for me to stay away from TH.

Babylon

Activity: 938

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:38:14 AM

Tradehill:

Bitcoin Market was first.  MTGox was the first to go 24/7

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jkminkov

Activity: 698

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:14:38 AM

Sure, they're Americans...in Chile.

I think those could be C.I.A. guys that murdered Salvador Allende and installed Pinochet.

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: