Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:01:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you supply the power to their multiple rigs and not blow breakers?  (Read 593 times)
bobbobobbo (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:06:43 PM

I'm a bit lost... I see everyone with their massive setups of multiple units, etc etc. When a standard outlet would seemingly barely power 2 rigs... assuming not everyone is running in a warehouse with dedicated lines, how is everyone doing this? Or am I missing something.
Ciber

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:08:08 PM

Ummm... Put in more breakers? Or remove current breakers and put in higher amperage breaker?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:09:48 PM

A 220v 40amp line would increase the number of rigs you could run drastically.  Lots of people have had their homes or offices or warehouses wired up to provide such power.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:10:45 PM

Ummm... Put in more breakers? Or remove current breakers and put in higher amperage breaker?
Yeah that's how you burn houses down...  Never up the amperage of a breaker unless you are certain the wiring can handle it!
TCollar

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:28:05 PM

Co-location.

bezzeb

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:31:34 PM

I'm a bit lost... I see everyone with their massive setups of multiple units, etc etc. When a standard outlet would seemingly barely power 2 rigs... assuming not everyone is running in a warehouse with dedicated lines, how is everyone doing this? Or am I missing something.

Welcome to reality - homes are not data centers...  Modern mining for profit requires running your operation like a business investment which often requires scaling infrastructure.  (Electrical, mechanical and if needed cooling.)  Not everyone operates warehouse data-centers, but I'm pretty sure the biggest players all do, and i think it's approaching the point soon where large scale will be the only way to make it profitable as hash competition is pretty fierce and only growing as these ASIC's come online. 

And whatever you do, do NOT do as one guy suggested and increase the amperage of your breakers unless you KNOW FOR SURE that the wires coming out of the breaker will not overheat and light your house on fire under the increased load.  If you aren't sure of what what I'm talking about, then hire an electrician okay?  (smile)  Wires that are too small for the current you wish to consume get hot, melt the insulation and then get dangerous.  Breakers are designed to stop this, and a breaker upgrade often requires the output wires to be re-pulled with thicker copper to ensure that the breaker pops before the wires get hot.  In that order.

Good luck and be safe.
georgeberz

Activity: 45

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:47:54 PM

1st off never up the breakers, no commercial built tract home is wired with larger wire than required, ie in my house I use 10 guage wire which is rated for 30 amps and then install 20 amp breaker

many breakers in modern houses are only 14 guage wire and a 15 amp breaker or 12 guage wire and a 20 amp breaker

Remember Just because you might have a 1000w power supply many computers will not use even close to it, ie I have a hd7970 card crunching at 650 mhash/sec and my whole computer only pulls 300 watts from the wall even though I have a 700w power supply.

get yourself a killawatt unit to check power draw $25 at radio shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3025184&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=55026789&utm_content=Exact&utm_campaign=PLA&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLD7_5yi0LYCFSJ0MAodBnIAAA&gclsrc=ds

most home outlets are 15 amps x 120v = 1800 watts

also map out your outlets to which breaker they use, ie put 5 computers on 1 outlet, and 5 on a different one connected to a seperate breaker.

Lastly you can have  aelectrician install a 30-40-50 amp 240 breaker and really make up a power center in your garage.

Most homes have a 200 amp 240v panel these days that is a lot of watts Smiley

George

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: