Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:08:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi might be mentally derranged  (Read 7822 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:35:48 PM

Satoshi probably would never spend his coins as that may reveal his identity. I wouldn't be surprised if he destroyed the keys for all his early BTC so he wouldn't be tempted to use them some time later. He could still mine a lot of BTC for himself when number of miners significantly increased, but that would not include easily traceable coins from 2009.

imagine if bitcoins became truly mainstream and your right satoshi could never spend them so he gives them to his offspring. Imagine being his offspring and having your dad hand you 100 trillion dollars one day near the end of his life =P

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:25:09 PM

Satoshi very likely crafted the identity to avoid the very kinds of attention that Gaven Andresen is having to deal with, but would have the added pressure of being "the guy who invented it all" and likely would have to take the brunt of a lot of verbal abuse from people who believed him to be the next incarnation of Satan or something. And so out of respect for the obvious talent of this individual to let go of any need to be a central figure, I offer heartfelt thanks for being strong enough to step out of the limelight and just allow Bitcoin to grow "in the wild" as it were, without having to be the one pumping it up into something it's not, or whatever.

Agree with you. 

I don't know what's more amazing:

1. That he (they?) knew enough about various fields (economics, p2p, software,crypto) to tie everything together brilliantly in an unprecedented stroke of insight with a working real-world implementation as a bonus.

2. That he (they) could see so far ahead in terms of a successful outcome to the Bitcoin experiment, so as to cover his (their) tracks so thoroughly from before the very first step.  The entire planet is trying to figure out his identity, yet his precautions resist being cracked.  Most of us would've slipped up somewhere, most likely talking about prelliminary ideas on mailing lists or forums or to friends or family while developing the concept, before grasping its significance or feeling the need to seriously assess political risk.

In fact, the latter point makes me think it was a single individual.  These kinds of secrets and paranoia would be very hard to maintain as a group, especially when extended to friends and family of multiple individuals, who would undoubtedly take an interest and at least once ask "what's this new project you're working on which is taking up so much of your time?".

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 05:25:55 PM

DPR = Dread Pirate Roberts = founder and main operator of Silk Road drug trafficking site that buys/sells things with BTC.

Nice article in Forbes about him.

I don't have nearly as many. He must be the richest person on Earth, then. Is there anyone else who publicly owns 100kBTC or more?

Lol.  Hard to be the richest person on earth if all you own are Bitcoins...even f you owned all of them and could sell each one at current trading prices Wink

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:34:28 PM

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Precursors

he was a precursor
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:43:21 PM

Any normal person would have told people about the giant programming project to which he dedicated 2+ years of his life, and these people would have eventually blabbed, so Satoshi must have been unusual. I always pictured him as a shy but brilliant guy who doesn't normally deal with people. "I'm better with code than with words," he said. Maybe he left when he saw that Bitcoin's future had a lot more social problems than technical ones.

I don't believe that Satoshi was a group of people. I was here when he was active on the forum and I directly communicated with him a few times, and I got a distinct impression that he was one person.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:22:47 PM

Any normal person would have told people about the giant programming project to which he dedicated 2+ years of his life, and these people would have eventually blabbed, so Satoshi must have been unusual. I always pictured him as a shy but brilliant guy who doesn't normally deal with people. "I'm better with code than with words," he said. Maybe he left when he saw that Bitcoin's future had a lot more social problems than technical ones.

I don't believe that Satoshi was a group of people. I was here when he was active on the forum and I directly communicated with him a few times, and I got a distinct impression that he was one person.

Thanks for corroborating.  Even when reading his public output both here and on the various mailing lists, it seems very homgeneous, traces of multiple individuals would be obvious even if they were trying to be careful. 

This is similar to the Kennedy thing, the simplest explanation that goes with the facts is that there is only one gunman, and that's what makes his accomplishments especially significant. I hope he is happy with how things have turned out, and if not, then at least I hope he can buy himself an island and live out the rest of his days in peace with 100% privacy.

chronocoin

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:03:42 PM

Isn't it possible that he is working on something more important than bitcoin now?

Or that two years of being nagged for free BTC got to be tiresome?
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:02:35 PM

I could also imagine someone not caring about the money. Some people do honestly not care about money. That may be weird for some people to grasp, but if Satoshi is a single individual, perhaps the reward of seeing his invention spring to life is a reward enough in itself, and that he will never touch those bitcoins we think he owns.

He created bitcoin as an answer to attempt solving the problem with the world monetary systems, he was angry with how the current system works. And many reasons the current system is not good, is because of greed. Perhaps Satoshi is not a greedy person, he just wanted to contribute and create something better.

Now, most of you would probably take all that money and retire and move to some tropical island, but perhaps Satoshi is still teaching at a university, and living a rather quiet life. Since he obviously like intellectual challenges, I don't doubt that he's still exercising his mind.

Also, it might not be a single individual at all, perhaps a group.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:04:46 PM

2. That he (they) could see so far ahead in terms of a successful outcome to the Bitcoin experiment, so as to cover his (their) tracks so thoroughly from before the very first step.  The entire planet is trying to figure out his identity, yet his precautions resist being cracked.  Most of us would've slipped up somewhere, most likely talking about prelliminary ideas on mailing lists or forums or to friends or family while developing the concept, before grasping its significance or feeling the need to seriously assess political risk.

In fact, the latter point makes me think it was a single individual.  These kinds of secrets and paranoia would be very hard to maintain as a group, especially when extended to friends and family of multiple individuals, who would undoubtedly take an interest and at least once ask "what's this new project you're working on which is taking up so much of your time?".

Or a "Above Top Secret" classified special psy-op team ... run with almost military precision and attention to detail, roll-out schedule, etc to create the "Satoshi" myth. Unlikely given the evidence but not impossible.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:08:48 PM

That he (they) could see so far ahead in terms of a successful outcome to the Bitcoin experiment, so as to cover his (their) tracks so thoroughly from before the very first step.  The entire planet is trying to figure out his identity, yet his precautions resist being cracked.  Most of us would've slipped up somewhere, most likely talking about prelliminary ideas on mailing lists or forums or to friends or family while developing the concept, before grasping its significance or feeling the need to seriously assess political risk.
Paranoid people who understand how to be anonymous can do such things easily and routinely.
Any normal person would have told people about the giant programming project to which he dedicated 2+ years of his life, and these people would have eventually blabbed, so Satoshi must have been unusual.
I also don't speak with people in real life about computers. They don't understand a shit and only babble half-truths about what I said or done.
I always pictured him as a shy but brilliant guy who doesn't normally deal with people. "I'm better with code than with words," he said. Maybe he left when he saw that Bitcoin's future had a lot more social problems than technical ones.
It is possible but not the absolute and final truth.

Or maybe Satoshi was too busy making and selling physical bitcoins.
I could also imagine someone not caring about the money. Some people do honestly not care about money. That may be weird for some people to grasp, but if Satoshi is a single individual, perhaps the reward of seeing his invention spring to life is a reward enough in itself, and that he will never touch those bitcoins we think he owns.
It is true. But if he don't care about money he might barter them for few exabytes of SSD storage for his next experiment with computers. Having large storage cluster from SSDs does not take away the enjoyment of creating Bitcoin.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:15:43 PM

regarding one or many: i think the logical thing would be one figurehead, one spokesperson, who does all the outward communication on forums and mailing lists. only way to keep it consistent. but determining how many may have worked together behind that figurehead? yea. good luck.

i would love to see it revealed someday though, when it's not a risk to their safety. like as a biography or something. gotta be a fascinating story.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:20:31 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2021, 01:46:50 PM by theymos
Merited by nullius (1), livecoins (1)

I'll probably release Satoshi's PMs and logged IPs addresses in ~8 years. This'd probably be of great historical interest. (Though he always used Tor, as far as I can tell.)

2021 edit: I changed my mind: I am not going to release Satoshi's PMs in 2021. See my post here.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Hei_

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:22:50 PM

I'll probably release Satoshi's PMs and logged IPs addresses in ~8 years. This'd probably be of great historical interest. (Though he always used Tor, as far as I can tell.)

nah dont think so
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:29:58 PM

It might happen sooner. With SQL injection and database dump. Or hacking one of computers where forum backups are stored.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 12:07:11 AM

How about he cared more about this project than personal riches and glory, and is helping under a new name. Just a thought.

Could be!

Phenomenally brilliant people like Satoshi are often mentally unstable.  Out on the fringes of edge cases, one borders chaos and madness.   Undecided

For example, Van Gogh was so transcendently ingenious he went crazy.  Well, absinthe was involved too.  But the theory is, he was self-medicating.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:57:38 AM

If Satoshi(s) were publicly around right now, you all realize they would be considered enemies of the State, much like Assange?
AlphaWolf

Activity: 217
Merit: 120

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:08:42 AM

Spoiler alert:  Kevin Spacey is Satoshi.
http://youtu.be/KnGo6Qm0Wt8

gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:59:41 AM

If Satoshi would get Nobel Prize, would it be in the field of Economics or Peace? Or maybe both? Smiley

The Nobel Peace Prize 2006 was awarded jointly to Muhammad Yunus and Grameen Bank "for their efforts to create economic and social development from below"
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2006/
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:13:00 AM

We are all Satoshi.

And Satoshi is all of us....

Seriously people - Satoshi still walks/posts among us in this forum under a different name or names.  Anyone who believes otherwise and has been around longer than a week or so is either delusional or extremely naive IMHO

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:25:29 AM

EDIT: I think there is at least a hint of possiblity that DPR is actually Satoshi.

This actually makes a great deal of sense.

Once having released bitcoin into the wild, would Satoshi just leave it there?  Or would he nurture his baby?  As a rational first step for the adoption of something as bizarre as bitcoin, it's pretty obvious that SR is... well... pretty obvious.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: