Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Appreciat.com - the bitcoin micropayment donation widget  (Read 2008 times)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 14, 2010, 11:06:35 PM

We're now discussing ways to integrate Bitcoin payments into the existing Flattr system, in another thread.  

However,  there's no reason that Bitcoin couldn't have its own micropayment donation widget system too.  

MtGox already has all the infrastructure set up.   Anyone with a MtGox account can already add a little snippet of code to their site to add a Donation widget.  

As I see it, the MtGox Donation widget needs to be cleaned up a bit.  It should have a very sleek modern appearance -- nearly identical to the Flattr widgets -- except with the Bitcoin logo, of course.  

The widget creator (who is the content creator), should specify the size of the widget, a hidden description field, and whether the widget is for a fixed amount and currency, or whether it will allow the Donor to select the amount and currency.  It'd also be nice if there were a field for including a brief message too.

( Can't all This be done with the "Send Bitcoin by Email" form on MtGox already!!? )

Then, part two of this campaign would be to contact EVERY web site on Flattr .... and convince them that they really want to add a Bitcoin Donation widget too.  

A very cute name wouldn't hurt....    I suggest:    Appreciat.com

Call it:     the Appreciat widget

( Yes, the domain is available. )

And of course, any site that doesn't yet have an Appreciat widget, could be gently encouraged to get one....  by simply making a Bitcoin-by-Email donation to them....    via MtGox, of course.  

I suggest calling the Bitcoin-by-Email feature, an:    Appreciat Email

One final note:   The reason I'm more inclined to recommend MtGox for their Bitcoin - by - Email feature is (1) I'm told that BitcoinMail simply keeps all funds not collected within 14 days.  On the other hand, MtGox returns the funds to the sender if they are not collected after a certain period of time.  That seems much more fair.  And (2) MtGox has the entire accounts, currencies, trading system functionality already all there -- integrated.  It really already almost IS "the PayPal of bitcoin".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: