Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:28:48 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs Litecoin, where it's all headed...  (Read 1078 times)
mg27341 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:46:44 AM

Well, I am not sure which of these two currencies will win out in the end. The levels as of today on 4/17/2013 at 02:45 (GMT) are:

BTC: 65
LTC: 1.80032
LTC/BTC ratio: 0.02777

The only thing staying relatively constant is the LTC/BTC ratio. Like it or not, it seems that the two are intertwined. I have a strong feeling that once the ASICs come out, BTC value will erode while litecoins will either stand still or perhaps go up as miners move out of BTC and move into alternative (bit)currencies. This also implies that the LTC/BTC ratio will increase, but perhaps matter less as bitcoins fall in value.

It would appear that more and more hash based currencies are popping up, but I think it is very unlikely that they will catch on primarily because there is little innovation. This is assuming that something new doesn't come along which pushes GPUs out of the picture. I think it would be very interesting if a currency came out that basically excluded GPUs, FPGAs and ASICs from the picture. Perhaps a variant on scrypt that used more memory than GPUs could muster.

Just my 0.000002 bitcoins worth.

Donations for my thoughts are always welcome:

LTC: LMfeJwB4RLMEhkCEzi7vawdCJVA5gLChYx
BTC: 162zC8bff81txGpP5U6WyHjbesDtNp1AqQ
kellyhuta64

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:51:51 AM

sorry for ignorance, but can you explain the ASICS part?

tks
dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:58:29 AM

I am really thinking that LTC will increase in value vs BTC. The lack of viable FPGA or ASIC for scrypt will keep hashing more distributed, with a higher trust, and harder 51% attack.

weterpallet

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:05:16 AM

Or at some point do you think they will all merge together to form a single currency? (Or is that not technically feasible)
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:07:21 AM

I'm going with the ratio of market caps: http://dustcoin.com/mining

At the time of this post, 465155/11043350 ~ 0.04. Therefore, we would "appear" to be slightly undervalued LTC wise?

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
mg27341 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:08:40 AM

sorry for ignorance, but can you explain the ASICS part?

tks

An ASIC is an "Application Specific Integrated Circuit" which is basically an integrated circuit (i.e., chip) that is built for a specific task. It is more specific than a general purpose CPU, more specific than a GPU, even more specific than even an FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) and basically the best you can do to solve a particular task using electronics that can fit on one chip (or set of chips).

The problem with ASICs is that if you want to change any part of how it performs its function, you have to create a new one. Therefore, companies often spend millions on the initial design/debugging prior to actually producing them, making the entire enterprise cost prohibitive for the average person (unlike FPGAs that can actually be purchased and programmed by a well versed individual).

I hope that clears things up for you.

TheTick077

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:09:20 AM

I have been thinking on the same topic for a few days now (which is really the extent of my bitcoin thinking alltogether). I have debated back and forth on weather to mine Litecoin or Bitcoin. Right now I am mining Bitcoin, only because it is more mainstream. I am thinking about moving over, any suggestions on any changes I will need to make if I do make the transition?
matthewdowns1128A1F5

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 02:12:16 AM

great explanations. thank you very much
as soon as I buy ltc, i'll make a small symbolic donation
mg27341 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:13:13 AM

I have been thinking on the same topic for a few days now (which is really the extent of my bitcoin thinking alltogether). I have debated back and forth on weather to mine Litecoin or Bitcoin. Right now I am mining Bitcoin, only because it is more mainstream. I am thinking about moving over, any suggestions on any changes I will need to make if I do make the transition?

Well, all I can say is that at the moment LTC mining using a GPU more profitable. Whether this trend continues going forward is anybody's guess.

dblink

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:15:18 AM

Right now mining LTC with similar hardware will get you about 1.4 times the profit, due to the difficulty. Then you can use BTC-E to convert LTC to BTC.

TheTick077

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:19:06 AM

Right now mining LTC with similar hardware will get you about 1.4 times the profit, due to the difficulty. Then you can use BTC-E to convert LTC to BTC.

Hmmmm...So what do I need to do to get up and running on LTC mining? (BTW I am doing GPU mining at around 200 MH/s)
mg27341 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:20:46 AM

Hmmmm...So what do I need to do to get up and running on LTC mining? (BTW I am doing GPU mining at around 200 MH/s)

Tell us which GPU (Nvidia or AMD) you are using and we'll help you out.

dblink

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:21:19 AM

On the forums here there is a gui scrypt miner (LTC uses a different hashing algorithm) and just download it, and run it like you do GUI miner for BTC. I suggest give-me-ltc.com/ for a LTC pool.

mg27341 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:22:17 AM

I second the choice of give-me-ltc.com for a pool. They do charge a 2% pool fee, but I've had nothing but good luck with them being (and paying) up. Basically, as soon as you accumulate 1 LTC, they deposit it to your address (sometimes within 2 hours of hitting 1 LTC, but they are reliable).
TheTick077

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:25:46 AM

It's a AMD 7770. Right now I am using bfgMiner, and am not afraid of CLIs. I do like the realtime data that it gives and all the options for fallback pools etc. Is there something like that for LTC?
mg27341 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:32:33 AM

For AMD GPUs the best way to mine litecoins is CGMiner. Here is a link to a forum post with a link to the actual software:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

TheTick077

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:34:06 AM

It's a AMD 7770. Right now I am using bfgMiner, and am not afraid of CLIs. I do like the realtime data that it gives and all the options for fallback pools etc. Is there something like that for LTC?

Looking through the feature list of bfgMiner, it looks like it has scrypt support. So do I just add the LTC pool like the BTC pools I added?
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:35:04 AM

For AMD GPUs the best way to mine litecoins is CGMiner. Here is a link to a forum post with a link to the actual software:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

In mine experience reaper works equally well or better...? At least for 7xxx

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
bryankfurw05

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:40:05 AM

i've tryed it and is ok
mg27341 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:45:25 AM

LOL, someone just sent me a 0.00000005 BTC donation. I had to use the mouse to count the zeroes, there were so many of them. Who knows, in another 10^33 years I might be able to buy a mouse pad.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: