Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:52:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin's market microstructure -- what's behind all this insane movement?  (Read 3148 times)
boomerlu

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:08:41 PM

Would anybody be interested in an algorithmic brokerage service? Smart limit orders (pegged to same side/midpoint/opposite side with an offset), VWAP, TWAP, POV are some simple examples.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:30:56 PM

Greed and fear is in every market. I don't think bitcoin traders or investors are inherently more "greedy/fearful" than those who trade stocks or oil....

Ok, perhaps the greed level is similar, but the fear is stronger here.
How many people take insane risks to invest in crude oil, the big new thing that is unlike any other?

Wrong. You are cherry picking one example. What about biotech? Tons of people take insane risks in $5 biotech stocks, for the "big new things" (genetically modified goats with spider genes or whatever) that is unlike any other.

Greed and fear is in every market. There are low-risk investments and there are high-risk investments. Even within the cryptocurrency world, there are even ways to bet on Bitcoin being stable (high risk) or Bitcoin being volatile (low risk, as it tends to be volatile.)

Quote from: thezerg
You are what's behind it.  You have no belief in the underlying value of the security/commodity.  You just want to trade it to "make" money.  That behavior tends to magnify trends...

Lol. If that is what magnifies trends (rather than underlying low liquidity and other issues outlined by OP, you know, obvious things) how come DOW NYSE S&P other huge markets don't see wild 50% swings in an hour's trading?

This is a common misconception, that the reason for the BTC volatility is "the people who don't care about BTC and just want to make money off of it. Whether or not you are a "true believer" is completely irrelevant because it is a 100% subjective value judgement, therefore, you can't even prove or disprove the statement - applied general semantics is not on your side if you attempt to use subjective value judgements to support an argument.

Op says (I'm guessing you didn't read this part)
My theory is that it's a unique combination of bitcoin's low float, the ineptitude of the primary exchange mtgox, and a young market (only 3 years old) that lacks sophisticated liquidity provision (i figure most of the supply probably belongs to the major miners, whom have more expertise in technology than being efficient market makers). Along with that, it is also difficult to move a lot of cash around to all the major exchanges, and to short sell, creating barriers to entry for bigger money players who could add a little liquidity. There are one hour bars that represent 50% and 100% moves... in BOTH DIRECTIONS! When I watch it trade on clarkmoody, it just strikes me as so inefficient. Like the people who are making the biggest decisions probably never traded their entire lives. They send market orders down for 20 straight points, and then the other direction for 15 points within the next 5 minutes! Who trades like that? Or maybe something else can explain that phenomenon? Another crazy anomaly to me was the lack of volume increase while the price kept soaring... usually bubbles require increased participation until there is nobody left to buy, or total short seller capitulation (which isnt possible in this market). Almost every parabolic chart has increased volume towards the peak.

The only market that I have ever seen comparable to bitcoins in terms of how fast it can rise and how easily it can fall, are OTCBB bulletin board stocks. Pump and dumps, basically (though not all of them, see FNMA, FMCC both which recently had a parabolic rise and fall but are real companies). Not saying bitcoin is a pump job, but there are some apt comparisons. For one, the OTCBB is highly illiquid. They are not like their NASDAQ/NYSE counterparts where you just click a button and get out of a position within milliseconds. 95% of the time you can out reasonably well, but when there is a panic (or a squeeze), your fill is at the mercy of the market.... kinda similar to getting out of bitcoin near its highs with all the lag on mtgox and all the bids disappearing.

OP's entire premise is that the volatility is NOT a result of "people not believing in bitcoin" but rather the very market structure itself, including the factors that OP detailed in his post.

You attempted to respond to this not by [providing a thorough, well thought out refutation of his points - explaining why, in fact, it is not the market structure including numerous factors explained by OP, but the speculative "day-traders" who "don't care about bitcoin."] but by simply saying "Lol no dude, You're the reason it's volatile, it's people like you who don't 'care' about bitcoin." Like a champ, you simply stated your position as if it is self-evident, providing absolutely no support or reasoning whatsoever. For this, I give you 10 fail points Grin Grin Grin

Bitcoin does not have feelings. Bitcoin is not God or Jesus or a religion. Bitcoin is not your girlfriend. Bitcoin doesn't care if you care about it, doesn't care if you "believe" in it, doesn't care what percent of your coins are saved and what are spent, doesn't care whether people label you as a spender or a saver even if you do both, doesn't care what your feelings are. Bitcoin doesn't care if you pray to it every night.

NYSE and the Dow Jones and other huge, highly liquid markets have "Evil speculators" "day-traders" "rich hoarders" and other types. Sure, there is volatility, especially with HFT, but the Dow doesn't lose 50% of its value within hours and gain it back in a week. The dow doesn't make wild 10-20% swings every single hour. On the occasion that something like this happens, it is an HFT glitch once in a blue moon. If "evil speculators" "day traders" "people who don't pray to their bitcoin altar every night" "people who don't make sure to spend every single one of their bitcoins lest they be labelled a hoarder" exist in other markets with comparatively LOW volatility, why are they the problem in Bitcoin? Bitcoin's problem is low liquidity, no market-makers, poor infrastructure, and all the other problems OP outlined - everything BUT the "evil bad people that hate bitcoin."

jzcjca00

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:31:31 PM

If anyone else shares the same line of thought with me, as opposed to say, being obsessed about where bitcoin will be in 3 years (which frankly, I don't care about), send me a PM.

I believe a small group of people with millions of dollars in resources is manipulating the Bitcoin market, artificially injecting extreme volatility and reaping huge profits.

In my post at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187530.0, I propose that the true believers take action to defend Bitcoin from this attack by acting as market makers.  I would appreciate your feedback.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 04:35:51 PM

They send market orders down for 20 straight points, and then the other direction for 15 points within the next 5 minutes! Who trades like that?

people who demand liquidity trade like that. go read Mr Harris again

on an illiquid market, thats how price moves. plus, your perception is off simply because BTC trades for so many decimals. you see 20 bids get hit but in reality they might all be 0.00001 difference which is irrelevant

yeah, because it's so efficient to demand liquidity til the point where the price impact is 5-10% in a few minutes right? what other market actually does that, do tell?

my perception is not off. i am not talking about the number of levels, i am talking about POINTS, as in DOLLARS.... i have seen the stock rip 10+ points on all offer prints and drop 10+ points on all bid prints in 1 minute.

thanks for the stating the obvious anyway, not sure what point you were trying to make that i didnt already kind of make in my original post.

The aim of the big price movements is to "TRY" manipulate the market into inducing  panic sell-off or  frenzy buying.

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: