Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:16:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as Zimbabwe's official currency + Prince of Sealand interest in bitcoin  (Read 7561 times)
Brushan

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:24:35 PM

Bitcoin has never been tried at such a wide scale in a single country, this is probably bupkiss though given their hyperinflation problems making their existing money absolutely worthless I could see this happening in some country sometime soon.

Why is deflationary a bad thing? Is it bad your money continues to appreciate in value over time instead of losing it like the Euro of Dollar never to recover their spending power? People need to disconnect fiat currency from crypto-currencies, they do not work the same and cannot be compared in an economic way. Bitcoin's deflationary nature ensure hyperinflation never occurs which I think has been proven to be infinitely worse for an economy.

Well let's say a corn farmer in Zimbabwe gets paid 10 BTC a month. To be able to to pay him 10 BTC a month the owner has to sell 1 kg of corn for 1 BTC. Let's say his exporting the corn to the neighbouring nations. When the value of 1 BTC rises the corn gets too expensive for the importers and they start importing from elsewhere. A country has to do business with other countries or else it will end up like North Korea. So when the whole world has inflating currencies and 1 country has a deflating currency they will have a hard time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:35:54 PM

Brushan, if you analyse your argument a little deeper basically what you're saying is that the purchasing power of everybody else should be kept weaker than what it can be just to help exporters.

That's wrong both ethically and economically.
No, you should not decrease the purchasing power of an entire society in order to temporarily help a segment of it. When your money earns value, you earn more purchasing power and you become richer. So if the money of an entire country is getting more valuable, everybody in this country is getting richer!

And this effect over exporters is much less worse than what people make it look like. With his stronger money, the exporter farmer of your example will have more purchasing power to acquire more tools/machinery and be more productive, for example. Also, since the value of money increased, people can receive nominally smaller wages - which could be actually higher in purchasing power.
Brushan

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:46:57 PM

I understand your argument and i know many on this forum share it. I'm not saying i'm right and your wrong. Hell, people have been battling about this for a long time and still there is no consensus. The problem i see with your argument is that when you give the farmer less BTC every month because it is worth more he won't be able to pay back any loans he has. You could solve it by making the loan less BTC every year but then why would anybody lend it if you win more by just holding.

To be honest i don't see a problem with an inflationary currency. In my point of view, i see currency as one thing and a store of value as another. I think of currency like a hot potato which you want to hold for as little as possible. It's just something that makes trading easier but doesn't have any value by itself. Also when a currency loses purchasing power, the wages become bigger so there is balance. So when a worker gets his paycheck, he buys food, pays his rent etc and the part that he wants to save he invests in gold, silver, real estate, BTC etc. Nobody is forcing anybody to hold a currency, i don't see why somebody would like to hold it and complain that it loses value.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:05:43 PM

I understand your argument and i know many on this forum share it. I'm not saying i'm right and your wrong. Hell, people have been battling about this for a long time and still there is no consensus. The problem i see with your argument is that when you give the farmer less BTC every month because it is worth more he won't be able to pay back any loans he has. You could solve it by making the loan less BTC every year but then why would anybody lend it if you win more by just holding.

Loans in BTC particularly are not feasible due to its extreme volatility.
But if a currency is used by an entire nation, its price won't fluctuate that much. A stable currency would increase in value proportionally to the economic growth of its user base. Loans would then be a possibility, likely with low interest rates. Like they were during the gold standard (during the second half of the XIX century in the US, for instance, prices would systematically fall)

To be honest i don't see a problem with an inflationary currency. In my point of view, i see currency as one thing and a store of value as another. I think of currency like a hot potato which you want to hold for as little as possible. It's just something that makes trading easier but doesn't have any value by itself. Also when a currency loses purchasing power, the wages become bigger so there is balance. So when a worker gets his paycheck, he buys food, pays his rent etc and the part that he wants to save he invests in gold, silver, real estate, BTC etc.

You're ignoring that inflation is not neutral. Those who receive the money first profit from those who receive it last, by being able to buy things before prices account for the new money. When the last people in the chain receive the new money, it'll be already too late. So, at least (when we're talking about 'simple inflation'), it is a nefarious wealth transfer mechanism. It's the most disguised of all taxes, and tend to hit harder on the most ignorant and/or poor.
And that's not all. Inflation nowadays is not simple. It's always directed to the credit market, creating signals to investors that there's lots of resources to invest in long term projects, Obviously creating money doesn't create resources, so this false signal will trigger a malinvestment boom which will result in a burst. These boom and burst cycles result in lots of lost capital. You can read more here:  https://mises.org/daily/672

Nobody is forcing anybody to hold a currency, i don't see why somebody would like to hold it and complain that it loses value.

You're forced to hold at least some because you're forced to pay your taxes in fiat. The network effect of the banking system will also ensure you hold much more than what you strictly need only for taxation.
Let's hope Bitcoin makes it easier to live without fiat one day. Wink
Brushan

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:21:40 PM

Loans in BTC particularly are not feasible due to its extreme volatility.
But if a currency is used by an entire nation, its price won't fluctuate that much. A stable currency would increase in value proportionally to the economic growth of its user base. Loans would then be a possibility, likely with low interest rates. Like they were during the gold standard (during the second half of the XIX century in the US, for instance, prices would systematically fall)

To be honest i don't see a problem with an inflationary currency. In my point of view, i see currency as one thing and a store of value as another. I think of currency like a hot potato which you want to hold for as little as possible. It's just something that makes trading easier but doesn't have any value by itself. Also when a currency loses purchasing power, the wages become bigger so there is balance. So when a worker gets his paycheck, he buys food, pays his rent etc and the part that he wants to save he invests in gold, silver, real estate, BTC etc.

You're ignoring that inflation is not neutral. Those who receive the money first profit from those who receive it last, by being able to buy things before prices account for the new money. When the last people in the chain receive the new money, it'll be already too late. So, at least (when we're talking about 'simple inflation'), it is a nefarious wealth transfer mechanism. It's the most disguised of all taxes, and tend to hit harder on the most ignorant and/or poor.
And that's not all. Inflation nowadays is not simple. It's always directed to the credit market, creating signals to investors that there's lots of resources to invest in long term projects, Obviously creating money doesn't create resources, so this false signal will trigger a malinvestment boom which will result in a burst. These boom and burst cycles result in lots of lost capital. You can read more here:  https://mises.org/daily/672

Nobody is forcing anybody to hold a currency, i don't see why somebody would like to hold it and complain that it loses value.

You're forced to hold at least some because you're forced to pay your taxes in fiat. The network effect of the banking system will also ensure you hold much more than what you strictly need only for taxation.
Let's hope Bitcoin makes it easier to live without fiat one day. Wink

I'm still not convinced but i have saved the link and will read it when i have time. Thank you and hopefully i'll learn something new.
Brushan

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:26:55 PM

I think i read somewhere that digital cash is already very popular in Africa and that they do most payments with their cellphone. Not sure though. As for the Zimbabwe story, sounds more like a joke to me.

Keep an eye on Ghana and Kenya.  I know people who are actively promoting Bitcoin in both countries.

Yeah i read in another thread about their system called Mpesa. Maybe we can learn something from them and create a layer for bitcoin that is similar to their system to make BTC payments more user friendly. I'm not a programmer but if a developer could make something similar i think it would be a huge leap for Bitcoin.
ffernandex

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:30:34 PM

I've heard of important bitcoin advocates trying to convince small nations to adopt bitcoin as official currency. This would make impossible to make bitcoins illegal.

Regarding the practical feasibility of this, there's a lot to speculate though.

But tying your currency to an inflation free-index is a solution that has been used with success in order to stop inflation. In Chile, my country, we have since the late 70's something called "UF" which is an alternate currency that readjust every month according to inflation. This currency is used in almost all real state transactions and for most credits. You can even make time deposits in UF to protect agains inflation.

Perhaps they don't need to actually use btcs, but just tie the exchange of their currency to btc prices.

Cheers!

If you like my posts, feel free to donate!
BTC: 1L1S4wG5TNJZSX9VG3vkk2er76YHihz3Kg
ChristianK

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:47:12 PM

I've heard of important bitcoin advocates trying to convince small nations to adopt bitcoin as official currency. This would make impossible to make bitcoins illegal.
Not impossible but harder.

A small nation can be coerced pretty easily.
briannguyen (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 03:58:52 PM

The Zimbabwe's content is updated with information from CNN.

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:27:10 PM

lol what a load of bullshit
'unidentified source'
'unknown journalist'
right... go on...

I thought Zimbabwe is mostly underdeveloped as in, no power or much technology to support the bitcoin system...?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:24:17 PM

Sealand I'm all for.

Zimbabwe not really.  That economy is a massive mess and this whole idea doesn't make a lot of rational sense to me.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:04:16 PM

I don't know, I'm still very sceptical. The Sealand story, looks pretty legit. The Zimbabwe story, everything out there points back to the CNN story, which is one without sources... So unless we get any other reports. (google hasn't found any yet) Looks like its fake Sad

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:06:52 PM

Zimbabwe can launch their own coin with centralized control. Why do they need Bitcoin?
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:34:26 PM

Bitcoin has never been tried at such a wide scale in a single country, this is probably bupkiss though given their hyperinflation problems making their existing money absolutely worthless I could see this happening in some country sometime soon.

Why is deflationary a bad thing? Is it bad your money continues to appreciate in value over time instead of losing it like the Euro of Dollar never to recover their spending power? People need to disconnect fiat currency from crypto-currencies, they do not work the same and cannot be compared in an economic way. Bitcoin's deflationary nature ensure hyperinflation never occurs which I think has been proven to be infinitely worse for an economy.

Well let's say a corn farmer in Zimbabwe gets paid 10 BTC a month. To be able to to pay him 10 BTC a month the owner has to sell 1 kg of corn for 1 BTC. Let's say his exporting the corn to the neighbouring nations. When the value of 1 BTC rises the corn gets too expensive for the importers and they start importing from elsewhere. A country has to do business with other countries or else it will end up like North Korea. So when the whole world has inflating currencies and 1 country has a deflating currency they will have a hard time.

That isn't really true though. Why would we have to pay him 10 BTC a month if we cannot afford? When the value of 1BTC rises he can adjust his prices to 0.1BTC and then it solves everything.
Brushan

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:26:34 PM

That isn't really true though. Why would we have to pay him 10 BTC a month if we cannot afford? When the value of 1BTC rises he can adjust his prices to 0.1BTC and then it solves everything.

What if the poor bastard has a loan of 100 BTC? How will he ever repay that? If you mean that we should also lower the loan then you won't find any lenders since people make more money by holding it than by lending it out. I'm in no way for todays economic system. It was my disgust for the bankers that made me interested in Bitcoin from the beginning. I just don't think a currency with bitcoins rate of deflation would do any good for a nations economy. There are other ways from my point of view.
virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:27:20 PM

May be some people are dreaming about a Pan-African financial unity:
http://afrinnovator.com/blog/2013/04/01/bitcoin-crypto-currency-and-the-opportunity-for-a-truly-pan-africa-money-revolution/

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 09:24:10 PM

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-957375   <----  fake.

It's impossible for them to adopt bitcoin in it's current form...   freaking 900 days out of the starting line and with the infrastructure of the commercial internet... circa 1993.

unless....  well....   if they backed some sort of paper currency with bitcoins then I supposes it's possible....

publish a blockchain address and just print based on that blockchain address..    let's say they had 500,000 bitcoins... then they print off a million notes for each bitcoin or whatever they hell they want.

Their currency would flucuate like mad because it's tied to bitcoin not gold ... but if it's actually convertible from their paper to bitcoin at a set exchange rate it might stabilize both.... actually scratch that.. it would stabilize both...  because as far as they would be concerned people outside the country paying for diamonds or whatever would be paying directly in bitcoin, hence allowing them to increase their printing press...

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Luckybit

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:33:34 PM

What if the poor bastard has a loan of 100 BTC? How will he ever repay that? If you mean that we should also lower the loan then you won't find any lenders since people make more money by holding it than by lending it out. I'm in no way for todays economic system. It was my disgust for the bankers that made me interested in Bitcoin from the beginning. I just don't think a currency with bitcoins rate of deflation would do any good for a nations economy. There are other ways from my point of view.

Predatory lending happens in general with or without Bitcoin. Btw there are people who lend Bitcoins already because you do make money lending it out and getting interest. Deflation is a good thing, you just can't make sense of it because you're used to the world of credit and inflation rather than saving. You don't need to take out loans as big when you're in a deflationary economy.
Luckybit

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:35:06 PM

Regarding the practical feasibility of this, there's a lot to speculate though.

But tying your currency to an inflation free-index is a solution that has been used with success in order to stop inflation. In Chile, my country, we have since the late 70's something called "UF" which is an alternate currency that readjust every month according to inflation. This currency is used in almost all real state transactions and for most credits. You can even make time deposits in UF to protect agains inflation.

Perhaps they don't need to actually use btcs, but just tie the exchange of their currency to btc prices.

Cheers!

People also forget that Ripple allows for the loans and lending element of BTC. Loans and lending already aren't going to be a problem.
knybe

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

decentralize EVERYTHING...

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 09:46:11 PM

here's a google news search of the past week with "zimbabwe + bitcoin"

...nothin: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=zimbabwe&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=zimbabwe+%2B+bitcoin&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en&rls=en&tbs=qdr:w,sbd:1&tbm=nws&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=HxdvUaGIBsGpiALH5YGoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCQQpwUoAQ&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45368065,bs.1,d.cGE&fp=bdbabb10b94ab79&biw=1658&bih=940
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: