Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:13:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EthOS Partition on 1x Samsung 250GB SSD + Other Questions (Yes I tried google)  (Read 1728 times)
lazypolarbears (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 05:00:32 PM

Hi,

Will tip .02 BTC to the first person that solves all problems and gets this running in the most profitable way - I know some of them are kinda noob but I've only been BTC mining so far..

[Yes, I realize this might be a dupe thread; I did search this forum and others; however, updates are always made and some stuff in here hasn't been addressed yet] - Their FAQ didn't help too much either. Minergate sucks (15MHz combined pathetic off of both GPU's) and I can't figure out contracts on Mist. AlephOne isn't working really either.

So EthOS...?

So I bought an Alienware Aurora R5 w/ Core i7/250GB SSD/2x AMD RX 480 8GB Crossfire... This is NOT a open 6-GPU rig. It won't maximize profit, but it's VR-ready and can do other stuff...

I just bought EthOS and their tech support isn't working...

1) Can I partition a 250GB Samsung SSD to run Win10 and EthOS? If so what partition format (FAT32 or NTFS or either)? I have 2 other bays but just this would be much easier.

2) I read the part about mandatory risers - mine just came with 2 stock RX 480's from Alienware (Dell). It's a gaming PC not a 6-GPU rig. Am I okay?

3) Coinbase isn't the correct address; I'm assuming Ethereum Wallet (Etherbase or Created Wallet 1) is the correct one to store/hold and eventually send to Coinbase? If I'm dead wrong someone please correct me immediately Tongue

3a) I have a friend who's running EthOS and per every reboot (or randomly), his wallet address generates right back to the stock (EthOS default) wallet address. What's going on here? (Note: He's running a 5-GPU rig, not a gaming PC like me).

4) Electrical costs are free; with stock RX480's and a Quad i5 6th gen, what's the best to mine (ETH, ETC, XMR, ZEC...?) - I know EthOS supports ZEC at least...

5) Since electricity is free (I actually have it split with a Antminer R4 on one circuit), would anybody recommend overclocking RX480's - does it make a substantial difference? Right now it runs cool (liquid cooled PSU) so not sure what overclocking would do or how much it'd increase performance... if someone does recommend overclocking, what specs (temp, fan speed, clock speed, etc.) would you recommend?

6) Which mining software works best on RX480's... Claymore? The stock config on EthOS? Something else?

7) Lastly, CPU mining on ETH is useless. Would it be feasible to mine any other AltCoin on EthOS via pure CPU mining?

Also, others with similar configs and reported hash rates would be nice too...

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 05:13:38 PM

Hi,

Will tip .02 BTC to the first person that solves all problems and gets this running in the most profitable way - I know some of them are kinda noob but I've only been BTC mining so far..

[Yes, I realize this might be a dupe thread; I did search this forum and others; however, updates are always made and some stuff in here hasn't been addressed yet] - Their FAQ didn't help too much either. Minergate sucks (15MHz combined pathetic off of both GPU's) and I can't figure out contracts on Mist. AlephOne isn't working really either.

So EthOS...?

So I bought an Alienware Aurora R5 w/ Core i7/250GB SSD/2x AMD RX 480 8GB Crossfire... This is NOT a open 6-GPU rig. It won't maximize profit, but it's VR-ready and can do other stuff...

1) Can I partition a 250GB Samsung SSD to run Win10 and EthOS? If so what partition format (FAT32 or NTFS or either)? I have 2 other bays but just this would be much easier.

2) I read the part about mandatory risers - mine just came with 2 stock RX 480's from Alienware (Dell). It's a gaming PC not a 6-GPU rig. Am I okay?

3) Coinbase isn't the correct address; I'm assuming Ethereum Wallet (Etherbase or Created Wallet 1) is the correct one to store/hold and eventually send to Coinbase? If I'm dead wrong someone please correct me immediately Tongue

3a) I have a friend who's running EthOS and per every reboot (or randomly), his wallet address generates right back to the stock (EthOS default) wallet address. What's going on here? (Note: He's running a 5-GPU rig, not a gaming PC like me).

4) Electrical costs are free; with stock RX480's and a Quad i5 6th gen, what's the best to mine (ETH, ETC, XMR, ZEC...?) - I know EthOS supports ZEC at least...

5) Since electricity is free (I actually have it split with a Antminer R4 on one circuit), would anybody recommend overclocking RX480's - does it make a substantial difference? Right now it runs cool (liquid cooled PSU) so not sure what overclocking would do or how much it'd increase performance... if someone does recommend overclocking, what specs (temp, fan speed, clock speed, etc.) would you recommend?

6) Which mining software works best on RX480's... Claymore? The stock config on EthOS? Something else?

7) Lastly, CPU mining on ETH is useless. Would it be feasible to mine any other AltCoin on EthOS via pure CPU mining?

Thanks!

1.Yes you can, NTFS of course, FAT32 can't even handle files over 4GB.
2. You're good. risers are for rigs with many GPUs.
3. Mine into your own wallet and withdraw into Coinbase when needed.
4. Not sure what's the most profitable coin atm, check out calculator websites.
5. You can mod the cards to get higher hashrates, modding will give you a pretty significant boost, overclocks won't.
6. Claymore's works fine on my end, never tried EthOS.
7. CPU coins are usually nonprofitable. the power draw of the CPU alone will be more than the profit you'll make. not even worth the heat in my opinion.
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:27:13 PM

Will give it a try - if it works well PM me your BTC wallet!
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:30:22 PM

Hi,

So EthOS...?

Thanks!

5. You can mod the cards to get higher hashrates, modding will give you a pretty significant boost, overclocks won't.
7. CPU coins are usually nonprofitable. the power draw of the CPU alone will be more than the profit you'll make. not even worth the heat in my opinion.

RE: Further questions

1. I thought FAT32 was 32GB, but I'm probably wrong. NTFS it is.
2. Awesome!
3. So wallet = EthereumWallet (the app) - that address? Then transfer into coinbase?
4. I'll check hash rates on my rigs

5. I guess this is the big question - these are generic RX480's 8GB x 2 from Alienware/Dell. What do you mean by "mod" vs "overclock"
6. You can configure Claymore on EthOS, so I'll give that a try.
7. Yeah, at one point CPU used to be okay on some cryptos, but I doubt on EthOS you can mine more than once.

And btw, the liquid-cooled PSU I have in my machine won't overheat. So I can do anything really...
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:45:12 PM

Ok so I guess I'm having issues already:

Partitioned 32GB from a SSD (required) but no idea how to bootload the .iso from Windows directly - Apparently that's the hard part. And I don't really feel like installing a 2nd 16GB SSD..
YIz

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 06:56:11 PM

Hi,

So EthOS...?

Thanks!

RE: Further questions

1. I thought FAT32 was 32GB, but I'm probably wrong. NTFS it is.
2. Awesome!
3. So wallet = EthereumWallet (the app) - that address? Then transfer into coinbase?
4. I'll check hash rates on my rigs

5. I guess this is the big question - these are generic RX480's 8GB x 2 from Alienware/Dell. What do you mean by "mod" vs "overclock"
6. You can configure Claymore on EthOS, so I'll give that a try.
7. Yeah, at one point CPU used to be okay on some cryptos, but I doubt on EthOS you can mine more than once.

And btw, the liquid-cooled PSU I have in my machine won't overheat. So I can do anything really...

1. NTFS without a doubt.
3. I personally use MyEtherWallet, seems much safer than app wallets.
5. There are many mods for reference RX 480s, modding means switching the BIOS to a mining BIOS which can result in higher hashrates. Overclock is just to ramp up the frequencies which doesn't result in much more hashrate but outputs much more heat.
6. You can, Claymore works on EthOS.
7. Yep, leave CPU coins alone.

Ok so I guess I'm having issues already:

Partitioned 32GB from a SSD (required) but no idea how to bootload the .iso from Windows directly - Apparently that's the hard part. And I don't really feel like installing a 2nd 16GB SSD..

You can't do it from Windows directly, you'll need to load it on a USB drive and install it on a partition. Look up on Google for guides, there are many tools to make Linux bootable USB drives.
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 07:26:12 PM

Would DaemonTools Pro work? I need to go out and buy a 32GB USB stick or bootable DVD...
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 07:27:28 PM

And I just got a message asking whether I'd really pay out 0.02BTC to the first person that solves this for me - Yes, I will. It's better than wasting hours (i'm a mac person) trying to relearn windows...

Although if multiple people (e.g. 2) contribute I'd BTC 0.01 to both of them...
YIz

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 07:54:19 PM

Would DaemonTools Pro work? I need to go out and buy a 32GB USB stick or bootable DVD...

Nope, DaemonTools won't work, you'll have to boot your PC from it. a DVD or a 4GB USB drive would work. How big is the ISO file?
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 08:17:42 PM

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

my go-to tool to create bootable usb-keys

CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 08:30:32 PM
Last edit: February 11, 2017, 08:45:31 PM by CryptoWatcher420

first off id like to point out that ETHos WILL NOT RUN ON A NTFS partition, secondly the iso of EthOs is already set up with partitions and swap space, ethos was built using a version of Linux, I believe they used Ubuntu, thirdly there is a program that allows you to copy said .iso to a hard drive, everyone else clearly has given you wrong information

here is the link to HDDRawcopy Tool
http://www.hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

over clocking GPu's really depends on what your mining, tbh if you have free power, OC them get that little extra. in fact you prolly wont have to OC the gpu, like I said it depends on the algo, ETH is MEMORY intensive while say ZEC is CORE intensive

just about any wallet can be used, ive used coinbase, polo, bleutrade and couple others that ive sent coins too and from

Ethos that I know of does not do cpu mining, that's not its purpose. its ment for GPU mining

also risers are only needed if you run a multi gpu rig (2+ gpu) btw you also want to take your 2 gpu's OUT of crossfire as that does NOTHING for mining

currently the best mining software depends on of your using windows or Linux, best is for Linux. claymore doesn't mess with Linux, only windows, so that's something to take into consideration

and the part about your buddy having to set the wallet address, he clearly isn't doing something right. possibly not editing the right file which is what i'm leaning twards

one more thing, if you want to know whats profitable to mine, check out whattomine.com , there is another site like it that has more info but I cant seem to remember it at this moment.

here is my Bitcoin wallet address:
1789bBvdQPVDY2sypdFawR2SKE2DNDngug

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 08:43:57 PM

wont work for for this ISO, this is a straight COPY of a hard drive
rufus is used for installing OS's via iso of a installation disc, not a straight up copy of a hard drive with partitions

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
YIz

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 08:51:47 PM

first off id like to point out that ETHos WILL NOT RUN ON A NTFS partition, secondly the iso of EthOs is already set up with partitions and swap space, ethos was built using a version of Linux, I believe they used Ubuntu, thirdly there is a program that allows you to copy said .iso to a hard drive, everyone else clearly has given you wrong information

here is the link to HDDRawcopy Tool
http://www.hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

over clocking GPu's really depends on what your mining, tbh if you have free power, OC them get that little extra. in fact you prolly wont have to OC the gpu, like I said it depends on the algo, ETH is MEMORY intensive while say ZEC is CORE intensive

just about any wallet can be used, ive used coinbase, polo, bleutrade and couple others that ive sent coins too and from

Ethos that I know of does not do cpu mining, that's not its purpose. its ment for GPU mining

also risers are only needed if you run a multi gpu rig (2+ gpu) btw you also want to take your 2 gpu's OUT of crossfire as that does NOTHING for mining

currently the best mining software depends on of your using windows or Linux, best is for Linux. claymore doesn't mess with Linux, only windows, so that's something to take into consideration

and the part about your buddy having to set the wallet address, he clearly isn't doing something right. possibly not editing the right file which is what i'm leaning twards

one more thing, if you want to know whats profitable to mine, check out whattomine.com , there is another site like it that has more info but I cant seem to remember it at this moment.

here is my Bitcoin wallet address:
1789bBvdQPVDY2sypdFawR2SKE2DNDngug

Yeah, you're right. Linux doesn't work on NTFS but it does reformat the partition anyways.
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:04:05 PM

Okay - I will try the multiple options and tip in BTC whomever got it right...

Answers and tips will still be accepted!!
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:12:27 PM

I'll brb going to pick up a simple 16GB bootable flash drive in FAT32, I suppose.

Also whomever I tip - could you add +1 trust to my account?
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:14:38 PM

wont work for for this ISO, this is a straight COPY of a hard drive
rufus is used for installing OS's via iso of a installation disc, not a straight up copy of a hard drive with partitions

You can also create drives from a DD image, what format is that disk image ?
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:37:37 PM

I think I got a bootable USB via @CryptoWatcher420 but when i go into the BIOS it just freezes when I try to boot from USB (F12).
YIz

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:39:37 PM

I think I got a bootable USB via @CryptoWatcher420 but when i go into the BIOS it just freezes when I try to boot from USB (F12).

Did you set the USB device as the first boot priority? BIOS menus usually start up with DEL.
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:40:22 PM

I got lost in the BIOS - and now Win10 is really mad at me and won't even boot...
lazypolarbears (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2017, 09:42:12 PM

On Mac OS it's so much easier I'm sorry... haven't used a PC in 10 years...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: