Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:21:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerns about the Bitcoin Foundation (email inside)  (Read 2955 times)
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 10:11:58 PM

Wow the arrogance/anger in all these replies is staggering.  I wonder why?  Isn't it a simple question to ask, if the foundation will protect the core essence of bitcoin?

Yes. Duh. Next.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:12:40 PM

I've sent this email to the Bitcoin Foundation 2 weeks ago.  For me it is clear they need to state their intensions.
The fact that they didn't reply, is not a good sign.  Worst case we should start our own counter-foundation.  Noone can claim bitcoin anyway.
We will be the Bitcoin User Group. Email me if you want to help found it, and agree with the original bitcoin principles: contact@bitcoinusergroup.com

We will stand for:

- Respecting the 21 million limit
- Decentralisation, no intervention of any kind
- Not changing the crypto (we keep SHA256)

-> Basically protecting the libertarian and anarcho-capitalistic principles, and not allow for any government intervention in the protocol.

Hi Lindsay,

Before I donate, I would like to know the foundation's stance on bitcoin:

Do you commit to never increasing the limit beyond 21 million coins?
Also, do you commit to never accepting changes that will include payments to be approved by government before being transacted?

In other words, are you ready and willing to protect the core essences of bitcoin, including its libertarian aspects as Satoshi intended?

Thanks for your reply.  It would also help if you could put your key intentions on your site if they are correct.

Regards
LOOOL! i really don't understand bitcoin! THEY CAN'T FUCKING CHANGE IT UNLESS PEOPLE AGREES WITH THEM.

and also bitcoin is not bound by the "libertarian aspects as Satoshi intended".

+1.

In addition, Satoshi was not decidedly "libertarian". He cared for his currency above any political ideology, which is very admirable. Few people I know would make something groundbreaking and not attempt to use it to fuel their own beliefs.
Hei_

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:15:09 PM

i r satoshi!
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:43:50 PM

In addition, Satoshi was not decidedly "libertarian".

It's the only political leaning he ever really mentioned.

“It’s very attractive to the libertarian viewpoint if we can explain it properly. I’m better with code than with words though.”

Satoshi Nakamoto
    14 Nov 2008

http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg10001.html
bezzeb

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:47:14 PM

Wow the arrogance/anger in all these replies is staggering.  I wonder why?  Isn't it a simple question to ask, if the foundation will protect the core essence of bitcoin?

As a pundit who's been following the movement a long time, I think you need to use some introspection and ask if you yourself indeed fully grok the "core essence of bitcoin" as you put it.  As with most things it's best to study an engineering problem or solution with an open mind and leave your personal beliefs on the side.  In your defense, I think some of the guys have been a bit rude towards you, but in the end I think perhaps you aren't seeing the whole picture in some of your assumptions.

Tip of the day:  The degree of truth contained in a proposition is inversely proportional to the amount of effort one must expend to support the proposition.

Corollary:  The louder you yell, the less likely what your saying is true.  Truth needs nobody to intellectually defend it, you only must seek to understand it.

Set.FortuneCookieMode = false  Smiley
anarchy (OP)

Activity: 102

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:51:38 PM

I'll become a donator, so I also get the right to behave like an asshole.. see you soon Smiley
bezzeb

Activity: 103

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:53:56 PM

I'll become a donator, so I also get the right to behave like an asshole.. see you soon Smiley

You already have that right and seem to be exercising it well my man.  Smiley
^--  Not a flame - meant in good humor.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:56:49 PM

I think there's nothing wrong with the questions the OP asked. Although it's not certain that the foundation would be able to ease him completely, they should be able to thank him for the interest in their foundation, and also to give answers to his questions, and if they cannot fullfill his every wishes, they should briefly explain their stance anyway.

I also note that the OP did in fact state that he wanted to donate. As a donator, if one really cares about the stuff one donates to, asking questions is quite legitimate. Unwillingness or silence in regards to questions asked in such a situation, will not help in easing the worries that OP do have.

Although not everyone will think that OP should ask these questions, or if they disagree with the thigns he ask about, the very least one could do is to treat OP with respect and don't attack him. He obviously is a bitcoin-supporter, and as such should be treated like an asset, and not like some random internet idiot.

Anyways, that's what you get on internet forums - there's always opinion pointing every which way and different opinions, and not everybody is that helpful or positive.

Instead of attacking each other for having different viewpoints, we should work together for the benefit of bitcoin. If one disagree with someone, then pointing out the disagreement is not a problem, however doing unjust attacks is a problem.
anarchy (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:01:38 PM

I think there's nothing wrong with the questions the OP asked. Although it's not certain that the foundation would be able to ease him completely, they should be able to thank him for the interest in their foundation, and also to give answers to his questions, and if they cannot fullfill his every wishes, they should briefly explain their stance anyway.

I also note that the OP did in fact state that he wanted to donate. As a donator, if one really cares about the stuff one donates to, asking questions is quite legitimate. Unwillingness or silence in regards to questions asked in such a situation, will not help in easing the worries that OP do have.

Although not everyone will think that OP should ask these questions, or if they disagree with the thigns he ask about, the very least one could do is to treat OP with respect and don't attack him. He obviously is a bitcoin-supporter, and as such should be treated like an asset, and not like some random internet idiot.

Anyways, that's what you get on internet forums - there's always opinion pointing every which way and different opinions, and not everybody is that helpful or positive.

Instead of attacking each other for having different viewpoints, we should work together for the benefit of bitcoin. If one disagree with someone, then pointing out the disagreement is not a problem, however doing unjust attacks is a problem.

Thanks, fully agree.  Also, in retrospect, the guy acting as the foundation is just a member.. I don't think he should behave like he has any authority in it.
He's not representative at all.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:03:59 PM

We will stand for:

The first two points are great and I am pretty sure the vast majority of bitcoiners are for those points.
The third point I don't agree with. I don't want to change the crypto now ( for example to hurt ASIC miners) but changing the crypto SHOULD be an option in the future.  Most probably in more then five years after SHA3 is field tested for a few years or if some problem was found with sha256.

Herodes

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:06:01 PM

We will stand for:

The first two points are great and I am pretty sure the vast majority of bitcoiners are for those points.
The third point I don't agree with. I don't want to change the crypto now ( for example to hurt ASIC miners) but changing the crypto SHOULD be an option in the future.  Most probably in more then five years after SHA3 is field tested for a few years or if some problem was found with sha256.

Yes, changing the crypto might be necessary in the future. Perhaps there are flaws with the current implementation, or stronger crypto is needed. However, the OP may not necessarily be an expect on crypto, and thus asks the question to the best of his abilities. The right person on the Foundation with the sufficient technical knowhow should be able to point out the same as I just pointed out. We can't expect everyone to know everything, and conditions will change in the future.
anarchy (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:13:49 PM

I agree on SHA256 being changed when it becomes insecure, but not for purposes of preventing ASIC development (which would be interfering in the free market)
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:29:14 PM

Thanks, fully agree.  Also, in retrospect, the guy acting as the foundation is just a member.. I don't think he should behave like he has any authority in it.
He's not representative at all.

Yup, just a member...states so very clearly in my avatar. Sorry you missed it. But, I am a member that thinks asking certain questions that are intrinsically silly can be ill intentioned and do not deserve a reply. For example, a question like "I heard you enjoy doing {insert universally disdainful act}, is that true?"

I don't think that's worth a spot on the agenda.

bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:30:52 PM

Lindsay has yet to categorically deny that Bitcoins and Satoshi are under direct alien control.  Why is that?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:38:11 PM

Lindsay has yet to categorically deny that Bitcoins and Satoshi are under direct alien control.  Why is that?

+1000.

But that's not the official response from the foundation of which I am a member.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:43:37 PM

Remember, not every bitcoin foundation member is an anarchist or a libertarian. Asking the bitcoin foundation to support anarchist ideal is like asking the American heart association to support anarchism.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:15:22 AM

Not every question is honest and genuine: Is it true that you've stopped hitting your wife?

Herodes

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:21:24 AM

Remember, not every bitcoin foundation member is an anarchist or a libertarian. Asking the bitcoin foundation to support anarchist ideal is like asking the American heart association to support anarchism.

Since The Foundation was made to further the interests of Bitcoin, then surely letting a governmental agency marry them is not the intention, right ? The quite opposite may not be true either, but I don't see the problem of asking questions.

If I wanted to put a large amount of money in a processing plant for microprocessors, I might be concerned with the environmental aspect, ie. handling resources in a way that would benefit the environment, but not necessarily give the best possible benefit on the bottom line. Some stock holders might laugh at me and say I'm a complete idiot for asking such questions, but my concerns are in fact legitimate and important for me. Because I genuinely care about the environment, so if the processing plant was unable to give me good answers and ease my worries in regards to this, I would simply not invest. At the same time, if I already had invested, I would be free to voice any opinion that I might had in regards to environmental issues with the company directly, and as an investor, they'd had to listen to me.

I can't at all see how the questions of the OP was 'silly'. He has his views, and he doesn't want to put his money in the pocket of someone not sharing his views, simple as that. I don't see how anyone has any problem with that. As it's said, there are no silly questions, only silly answers, also who's to randomly decide what are silly questions or not, I guess the definition of that would vary a lot. Heck, if I wanted to be difficult, I could say that all questions on this forum are silly, as probably 80% of the questions asked could probably be solved if someone just bothered to google for an hour and read various information posted online..

There's no point in alienating or picking on people who you feel superior too, if you don't want to get involved, then simply don't answer them.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:31:40 AM

I can't at all see how the questions of the OP was 'silly'. He has his views, and he doesn't want to put his money in the pocket of someone not sharing his views, simple as that. I don't see how anyone has any problem with that. As it's said, there are no silly questions, only silly answers, also who's to randomly decide what are silly questions or not, I guess the definition of that would vary a lot. Heck, if I wanted to be difficult, I could say that all questions on this forum are silly, as probably 80% of the questions asked could probably be solved if someone just bothered to google for an hour and read various information posted online..

This shit has been gone over and over and over on the forums.  Atlas used to pull this same crap.  He'd pop up under yet another sock puppet account and ask "questions" about the foundation.  I put questions in quotes because he damn well knew the answers from the previous dozen times he asked.

At this point, I feel pretty safe calling this entire thread a troll.  If I'm wrong about that, and the original post was from someone genuinely asking for information, then I apologize for calling him a troll, but I'll instead call him a moron (for reasons that I hope would be obvious once the troll option has been removed).

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
anarchy (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:02:33 AM

This shit has been gone over and over and over on the forums.  Atlas used to pull this same crap.  He'd pop up under yet another sock puppet account and ask "questions" about the foundation.  I put questions in quotes because he damn well knew the answers from the previous dozen times he asked.

At this point, I feel pretty safe calling this entire thread a troll.  If I'm wrong about that, and the original post was from someone genuinely asking for information, then I apologize for calling him a troll, but I'll instead call him a moron (for reasons that I hope would be obvious once the troll option has been removed).

Why would you call me a moron for asking if the foundation will respect the 21 million limit, and not allow for government intervention in the blockchain?
I'd love to hear your reasoning behind that.  If that info would be shown on the website, or they would have replied to my email, asking them exactly that, maybe (but probably not).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: