Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 02:29:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on the road (reduce energy cost of mining)  (Read 599 times)
decentral (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:19:17 AM

I've been thinking about how the cost of mining could be reduced.

You've got the obvious ways like using renewable energy as a power source but has anyone thought of using 12V (of 24V for trucks) whilst on the road?

Would mining over a mobile internet connection be possible?
hughperman

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:31:23 AM

Mining over mobile should be OK, depending on the reliability of your connection.

The 12/24V thing isn't reallllly relevant, it's more to do with what hardware you have. Your home PC is stepped down to 12V with a pretty high efficiency by the PSU. If you have a low power device (ASIC, microcontroller, FPGA etc) it would be possible to run off your car supply, but it will also need to implement a mining client and pool/wallet link which your PC usually does, and it will be no more energy efficient than running the same hardware at home, as the electricity needed will come from your petrol costs which would probably be considerably more than your home electricity prices.
Hei_

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:37:30 AM

mine at your workplace.solved
decentral (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:43:35 AM

Say for example you are on the road for 8hours per day, you're driving anyway, say inner-city taxi driver. Am I correct in thinking that alternators are rated at a (marginally) higher power output than the power drawn by electronics + power required to charge the battery?

Mining at work / free electricity aside Wink
hughperman

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:09:46 PM

That's an interesting thought. As far as I know there should be no power wasted, but I'm not sure on exact details so there could be. Alternators are certainly capable of outputting loads of power...
0tweb

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:22:21 PM

I don't think you can get the power needed to really mine while being on the road. So your bill for being online while driving will be much higher, than your reward mining. At the end all your mining success depends on the power spend.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: