Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:13:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone claiming to be Satoshi Nakamoto can be easily tested  (Read 662 times)
eclecticuniversalas (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:05:04 PM

I am very new to this whole blockchain thing, so correct me if i am wrong, . . but someone claiming to be Satoshi Nakamoto could prove it by announcing a specific data transfer from the Satoshi Nakamoto account , (say 768.00987 BTC) and then after announcing such a claim, transfer that exact amount a few days later, . .the data transaction could be monitored for proof of ownership of that account at least. .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:08:25 PM

Yes and even he can prove himself just by signing a message using one of his known bitcoin address. However i don't think real satoshi nakamoto (if he is alive) will do this as he seem to be a guy who don't love to have fame and wealth. And this decision of his is also better for growth of bitcoin, he should remain anonymous always.

BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:09:10 PM

I am very new to this whole blockchain thing, so correct me if i am wrong, . . but someone claiming to be Satoshi Nakamoto could prove it by announcing a specific data transfer from the Satoshi Nakamoto account , (say 768.00987 BTC) and then after announcing such a claim, transfer that exact amount a few days later, . .the data transaction could be monitored for proof of ownership of that account at least. .
That will prove the person moving the coins has a way to move the coins but it is not a definitive proof the person moving the coins is satoshi, there is the possibility of someone stealing satoshis private keys by hacking or by having physical access to his computer and we also need to take into account that satoshi does not seem to want to be identified, so that will be suspicious.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:13:29 PM

That will prove the person moving the coins has a way to move the coins but it is not a definitive proof the person moving the coins is satoshi.

yep. that's all it would prove. i can't imagine satoshi would be slack enough for someone to compromise the security of his keys, the guy was a cryptographer, but anything could've happened in the intervening years. he might have gone mad, joined a cult, given the keys to his landlady when he couldn't make rent.

i think it's gotten past the point where anything can be definitely proved other than control over those keys.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:19:48 PM

There is no such thing as a "Satoshi Nakamoto account".

There are public keys that have bitcoins associated with them, but it is impossible to know with 100% certainty which of those public keys are exclusively under the control of Satoshi Nakamoto.

Access to the private keys associated with the first few blocks, or the private key associated with the first bitcoin transaction would be a very strong indicator, but it isn't necessarily "proof" if Satoshi failed to properly secure those private keys from anyone else accessing them.
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:45:43 PM

This is very simple. The only prove accepted will be if the coins from the genesis block (or blocks 1-8) will be moved or we see a signed massage. Everything else will be doubted. If Satoshi still lives, then he knows that and should he no longer own the keys, then he will not claim to be Nakamoto.
It is possible though, that someone else could obtain the keys, so some will doubt anybody, even if the coins genesis coins are moved.

U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:48:30 PM

This is an oldschool bank account and credit card kind of verification. What satoshi could do is sign a message from any address used in the past and that would most likely prove that they are the real satoshi. That is unless they have zero clue on how the Blockchain works, then that would mean they found a USB stick in a dead man hands in a basement and he just found himself 100,000 bitcoins.
Gloiri

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 05:52:25 PM

Yes its correct any ways Satoshi Nakamoto is a founder and he proves he sing some messages to any address. and are you sure there's any satoshi nakamoto account ?
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 06:41:00 PM

i do not expect real satoshi nakamoto to be pop out all from nowhere and if anyone tries to prove that he/she doesnot need to transfer any amount all it requres just ezplain thr full bitcoin system
mrkevio

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 07:21:54 PM

That will prove the person moving the coins has a way to move the coins but it is not a definitive proof the person moving the coins is satoshi, there is the possibility of someone stealing satoshis private keys by hacking or by having physical access to his computer and we also need to take into account that satoshi does not seem to want to be identified, so that will be suspicious.

First of all, it would be weird for Satoshi to ever reveal himself for security reasons. But even if he did, I really do not think this will not be a sufficient proof for us because.. Come on, he invented Bitcoin and you are saying that he might have got hacked? If he did and someone stole his private keys, they would immediately withdraw all the funds from his wallet to another one so that Satoshi would never have access to them again. And then he would come out and say he is the real one, and prove that his private keys were stolen which is quite easy. I do have a backup of my private keys, and I do have a secured PC. Do you really think this is not enough to prove it..?

boybugs18

Activity: 205

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 07:36:51 PM

I dont think its better to reveal satoshi's real identity if however he is just a single person because it will jeopardize his life and it will ruin his life too because many will interview him or invite him to some events and will make his life not private anymore. He will get death threat for his life for sure .

MASKNETWORK.
    Decentralized social trading network that rewards users  |   JOIN ICO
    Assets | Binary Options | Leveraged Markets - Trade and get paid !!!
bitgoldpanther1978

Activity: 381
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:06:51 PM

That's not enough proof od evidence even He announced it, moreover, as far as other community concern Nakamoto satoshi is not alive anymore, not exist only what He created is exist and will exist for a long, long years. And that seems obvious He just after with the fame and popularity only. Roll Eyes
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 08:17:52 PM

Your analogy is true and it could also be fool proof way to determine who Satoshi is really is but at the same time I want you to know that will not be enough proof because that same tx id can be cloned or even used as scam or how do you think those HYIP sites gets their proof if it cannot be created that transactions exist. My own experience I have clicked on a tx id even on this forum and it went straight to a meme. So that can be faulted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: