Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:33:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Byteball hype over or time to buy?  (Read 5123 times)
coinphilosopher

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:07:10 AM

Does this coin have strong enough technological value to keep growing, [...]?

I'm observing Byteball and have read the whitepaper. I'm not sure if the DAG has any advantage over a traditional blockchain besides faster transaction propagation, so that could be a plus.

But on the other hand, the coin is actually very centralized (it can be regarded as a "proof of concept" at most) and not totally trustless, even when the witnesses are to be freely elected it will be more a kind of "web of trust" like Ripple. I regard it as more centralized - and thus more vulnerable to social engineering attacks - than DPOS coins like Bitshares.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pawnuts

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 07:47:04 PM

I'm observing Byteball and have read the whitepaper. I'm not sure if the DAG has any advantage over a traditional blockchain besides faster transaction propagation, so that could be a plus.

But on the other hand, the coin is actually very centralized (it can be regarded as a "proof of concept" at most) and not totally trustless, even when the witnesses are to be freely elected it will be more a kind of "web of trust" like Ripple. I regard it as more centralized - and thus more vulnerable to social engineering attacks - than DPOS coins like Bitshares.

Did you read the whitepaper?

Note that just because you regard something as centralized does not make it centralized. Being anonymous and being decentralized are two different things, the fact that witnesses in the Byteball network are known entities is an advantage, not a disadvantage. It would be very difficult (read effectively impossible due to the negative return on investment) for someone to acquire enough witnesses using fake identities to create a "shadow chain" that the main chain would not deem invalid.

The system is a democratic one and will require some vigilance on the part of its users to maintain honest witnesses, however if you have people using Byteball for storing or transferring any substantial value then they will ultimately be very interested in the health of the network.

Scaling is the biggest issue for crypto currencies and if any store of value wants to really take a global stage it has to be able to deal with the demands of that. As soon as transactions start slowing down you hamper productivity - people will move to a faster chain. Maybe Bitcoin will retain its value because it was #firstcoin and but it cannot handle the demands of hundreds of thousands of transactions per second, which is what you will need if you have a platform that deals with trading digital assets. This is why, IMO, I don't think Ethereum has a future.

my $0.02
desgrippes

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 10:36:44 PM

Did you read the whitepaper?

Note that just because you regard something as centralized does not make it centralized. Being anonymous and being decentralized are two different things, the fact that witnesses in the Byteball network are known entities is an advantage, not a disadvantage. It would be very difficult (read effectively impossible due to the negative return on investment) for someone to acquire enough witnesses using fake identities to create a "shadow chain" that the main chain would not deem invalid.

The system is a democratic one and will require some vigilance on the part of its users to maintain honest witnesses, however if you have people using Byteball for storing or transferring any substantial value then they will ultimately be very interested in the health of the network.

Scaling is the biggest issue for crypto currencies and if any store of value wants to really take a global stage it has to be able to deal with the demands of that. As soon as transactions start slowing down you hamper productivity - people will move to a faster chain. Maybe Bitcoin will retain its value because it was #firstcoin and but it cannot handle the demands of hundreds of thousands of transactions per second, which is what you will need if you have a platform that deals with trading digital assets. This is why, IMO, I don't think Ethereum has a future.

my $0.02

So you would not have confidence in Vitalik's proposals to solve scalabilty with 'sharding' etc? I also think it's a potential pitfall but am not entirely pessimistic about the chance to solve it.

Perhaps there can even be 'mergers' of tech in the future to solve issues and some may be quite complimentary? IOTA has talked of being able to compliment Ethereum (though not neccessarily with the scaling issue).
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 07:37:48 AM

I get an uneasy feeling when linking all my bitcoin addresses together and sending that info to byteball. Am i just being too paranoid? At least you don't also need to give your facebook ID like Stellar requires.

When is the next round ? is it worth participating ?
bct_ail
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2221

https://t1p.de/6ghrf

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 10:49:50 AM

I get an uneasy feeling when linking all my bitcoin addresses together and sending that info to byteball. Am i just being too paranoid? At least you don't also need to give your facebook ID like Stellar requires.

Im not familiar with byteball, but why do you have to send ALL your bitcoin addresses to byteball? And do you talk about Stellar Lumens? When yes, where do they ask for your facebook ID?
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2017, 09:53:29 PM

Im not familiar with byteball, but why do you have to send ALL your bitcoin addresses to byteball? And do you talk about Stellar Lumens? When yes, where do they ask for your facebook ID?

Each month there is a giveaway to people who own bitcoin, the more bitcoin you have the more byteball you get. Stellar are doing a similar thing but you also have to provide your facebook ID too.
bct_ail
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2221

https://t1p.de/6ghrf

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 06:31:03 AM

Each month there is a giveaway to people who own bitcoin, the more bitcoin you have the more byteball you get. Stellar are doing a similar thing but you also have to provide your facebook ID too.
Oh, thats sound great (not the facebook ID thing at stellar). The giveaway are byteballs? Do you have to hold byteball as well?
nappoleon

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 06:42:01 AM

bytball coin until now nothing exchanger acepted trade
so you can't buy byteball coin, if buy in another person is not good, because byteball coin not ico selling, you can get free only linked bitcoin addres
is good buy byteball coin if ready listing to exchanger
about hype , i think is not, because byteball coin can get free

I cringe while reading! GBYTE is being traded at bittrex and changelly if that is what you're going for. You can trade directly at the app through the bot.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
buyingcoins

Activity: 118
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 06:09:16 PM

Here's a step by step guide to setting up a wallet and buying Byteball: https://buybyteball.info/
shillberting

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:54:41 PM

The hype may be over for now but they are building a solid cashback program through merchants and I think by the time the next airdrop happens in March 2018 there will be good value. You need not buy today but prior to March would be a good idea I would think.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: