Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:09:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for increasing exchange security  (Read 1469 times)
tymothy (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:07:42 PM

In light of the recent hackings and considering the value of sums being held in exchange accounts, it's obvious that exchanges need to start offering increased security measures to their users. Though no feature can ever make a partially open system completely secure, many measures can reduce the risk of accounts being compromised or damage done without significantly impacting user experience. I propose that the following options be made available to users, who can activate them if they wish. (Deactivation, obviously, would require a few extra hurdles). Not every feature is right for every user, but that's the beauty of choice.

1. Locking accounts to one withdrawal bitcoin address/limit withdrawal address changes: Users can lock an account to a single withdrawal address. Bitcoins can then only be withdrawn to that wallet. I think this would help mitigate damage done to a compromised account. If the hacker can only withdraw bitcoins to the users account, it's no help unless the wallet is also compromised. If a user wishes to change their address, a confirmation link would be emailed/texted/phoned to them and a 72 hour waiting period could apply. Also only the last 4 characters of an address could be shown, to help protect the user's identity.

2. Locking non-bitcoin currency withdrawal options. Same as above, except for Dwolla/Bank/other accounts.

3. Requiring email confirmation of especially large withdrawals. Confirmation by text/email/phone and/or a waiting period could be set by the user for all withdrawals over X amount.

4. A log of IP addresses which have accessed the account in the last week. Like the gmail feature. Useful for determining if a hacker has accessed the account.

5. A user imposed limit on the number of trades per day. If a hacker did compromise your account and found he couldn't withdraw money to his own accounts he could still be a real dick and constantly buy and sell your assets until they all got eaten up as exchange fees. Some users typically buy and hold they could decide to limit their account to say, 5 trades per day.

I think these options would significantly cut down on stolen exchange funds and most would be very easy to implement. Obviously more elaborate and extensive hacking could circumvent these measures, but I think they'd be a sufficient deterrent.

Thoughts and other ideas?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
relative

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:17:43 PM

isnt it obvious? what banks and brokers do.
ranging from transaction numbers, transaction cards that dont have to be replaced, to devices that generate a transaction-specific authorization code.
helo

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 04:35:54 PM

Two concepts, "BTC secure" certification and operator identity verification.

This is unavoidable, and as soon as an exchange with both will appear they will become the de facto standard. Same goes for the online wallet concept as these are undoubtedly related. Currently everyone is semi-hiding in the trenches, why would you deposit $5K or same worth in BTC with MTGox - for God's sake they don't even have a mailing address on their website!!!!

BB
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:53:21 PM

isnt it obvious? what banks and brokers do.
ranging from transaction numbers, transaction cards that dont have to be replaced, to devices that generate a transaction-specific authorization code.

+1 This is really needed.

gene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:11:13 PM

One thing that would help is using a well written, peer reviewed codebase. The only one that I know of is bitcoin-central. Of course, this has to run on top of a secure and well monitored infrastructure. No amount of transaction numbers, transaction cards or authorization codes will help if those requirements aren't met first.

*processing payment* *error 404 : funds not found*
Do you want to complain on the forum just to fall for another scam a few days later?
| YES       |        YES |
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:31:21 PM

1. Always using POST requests for logging in (Mt. Gox apparently still uses GET requests, which is very dangerous)

2. *Always* an email/SMS verification for moving money out of an account, regardless of amount (you should not be able to turn this off, or people will go the "easy route"), like withdrawing to BTC address / bank account / sending to another exchange account.

3. Optionally a verification email/SMS for every action (trade, withdraw, deposit, etc).

4. For withdrawal forms etc, use CSRF tokens (Bitcoin7 has/had a CSRF vulnerability where you could steal bitcoins).

5. Blocking an IP from logging in after 3-5 failed attempts, freeze an account after 10 failed attempts regardless of IP (this will stop distributed bruteforcing), and only allow login after SMS(/email) verification.
You could even make an option to require SMS verification for every login.

6. Login captchas. This also helps in preventing "freezing attacks" where someone repeatedly makes failed attempts on purpose to freeze the victims account.

7. API keys for the API. Seriously, it is a REALLY bad idea to let someone send his main account login with every API request. API keys, API keys, API keys.

Also, an open codebase would definitely be a good idea - especially when the site itself encourages users to audit the code.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
[Coins!]

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:41:56 PM

I really like the ideas in the OP and joe's ideas above.

Like my post? Consider donating: 1ENPBz6zZa1maehG48PaYzYhPjodN1NkTF
http://oneminuteslow.com/bitcoin/100-20.png
helo

Activity: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:56:08 PM

Joe's ideas are good and there are many more to be implemented. Bottom line unless an outside authority can certify that a website follows secure programming practices then you are left with trusting the operator alone. Now this worked in the fall on 2010 when Bitcoin was a small community, but you can't expect to sustain the current flow of new interested users/providers without providing a trust central. Of course this goes against the decentralized concept, but let's be honest, people will get scammed if we don't do something. And if people get scammed that's what will transpire in the media. Today's BTC millionaires should step up and fund a central trust authority, if they don't do it no one else will. Oh and did we mention that Satoshi or whatever-his-name-is owns 10%+ of all bitcoins in circulation? He could finance this with his eyes closed, if he truly exists that is.
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:21:37 PM

Another one:

If an IP logs on to at least two or three different accounts that all had a different IP "linked" to it before, you can be 99,99% sure it's not the owner of the account, in which case it would be a good idea to freeze all accounts he logged in to, block the IP, and log it.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 08:28:49 PM

If I ran an exchange I would want to do it at a physical space that I control, not some hosting place somewhere that people I do not know have physical access to.

If I started small this might limit my bandwidth significantly but if enough people used it to make bandwidth a problem presumably it would be feasible to increase the bandwidth.

I really do not like the idea of putting wallets on machines I do not physically control access to.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 08:45:24 PM

Lots of good ideas here, going to cherry pick a bunch for BCs todo-list.

4. For withdrawal forms etc, use CSRF tokens (Bitcoin7 has/had a CSRF vulnerability where you could steal bitcoins).
These should go on every single form actually.

Also, an open codebase would definitely be a good idea - especially when the site itself encourages users to audit the code.
Yes, it is Cheesy

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:46:48 PM

The answer to this question couldn't be simpler. Hire competent hackers to try and exploit any angle they can find and let you know of any holes the find?

Pretty straight forward..

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 09:05:10 PM

The answer to this question couldn't be simpler. Hire competent hackers to try and exploit any angle they can find and let you know of any holes the find?

Pretty straight forward..
That just doesn't work. Because not only do your hackers have to be competent, they also have to be honest. And that's a whole different story...

Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 11:40:54 PM

Thank you for all the good suggestions.
TradeHill actually manually approves large transfers of funds (btc included) in and out of the exchange.
I currently have a 2500btc withdrawal that looked suspicious and I put on hold.
I've sent an email and believe that it may be a fraudulent transfer.

We're always looking for ways to improve and listening to feedback.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: