Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:49:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Environmentalists, please stop ranting about global warming  (Read 3011 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:47:43 PM

But again, how is it possible that one can add CO2 to the atmosphere without driving up heat retention. You can try it at home. Get two fishtanks and seal them. In one put some air, in the other put some air and some extra CO2. Now place a thermometer in both and shine a lamp on them. Within an hour you will notice that the CO2 tank is heating up more.
In the past it has been warmer and colder. That is perfectly natural. But so is the death of 90% of all life on Earth. It has happened at least 5 times before.
My concern is that even though I love nature, it does not love me. There is no reason to think that the warming will stop before our extinction. In fact it may be to late. The permafrost is now melting and that is very worrying. The methane that is now being released could dwarf the effect humans directly have on the sky. At the same time the oceans are soaking up less and less CO2 as the reefs die. With all this evidence I consider anything less than alarm to be a weak response.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:52:44 PM

And... ?

The above quote sums up beautifully my entire position on global warming, anthropogenic or not.

Gaea is a big girl. She can take care of herself.

Way to sidestep the points and give a useless answer. We know the Earth isn't going to disappear. That isn't the point of the efforts against AGW. To point out the obvious, the point is to bring things back to a state where the Earth's natural climate changes are the norm.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 04:53:24 PM

But again, how is it possible that one can add CO2 to the atmosphere without driving up heat retention. You can try it at home. Get two fishtanks and seal them. In one put some air, in the other put some air and some extra CO2. Now place a thermometer in both and shine a lamp on them. Within an hour you will notice that the CO2 tank is heating up more.

There's the flaw in your experiment.

Bet you can even guess why.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 04:54:40 PM

And... ?

The above quote sums up beautifully my entire position on global warming, anthropogenic or not.

Way to sidestep the points and give a useless answer. We know the Earth isn't going to disappear. That isn't the point of the efforts against AGW. To point out the obvious, the point is to bring things back to a state where the Earth's natural climate changes are the norm.

And my point is that She can do that Herself. Trying to fuck with a self-regulating system is only going to cause problems.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:59:10 PM

And... ?

And my point is that She can do that Herself. Trying to fuck with a self-regulating system is only going to cause problems.

Then we should stop fucking with the self regulating system, shouldn't we?

Obviously, the extreme of not fucking with the self regulating system would be the absence of any humanity induced output. Something between our current output and no output would be less fucking with the self regulating system, no?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 04:59:37 PM

Post not making much that sense RodeoX, you do realise I'm talking about a solution to global warming that's actually real and could work if there's enough money behind it right? You seem to be in troll mode.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Al Gore have a hand in creating some sort of stock exchange, thus creating, of sorts, a flow of money to stop global warming.

In regard to the meteor that hit Península de Yucatán eons ago, thanks to plate tectonics, the peninsula's current location is no longer near its location when the meteor hit, let alone its shape.

Speaking of plate tectonics, the climate of the Earth would have been much different a billion plus years ago even if then the relative conditions we have today were the same, simply due to a larger disconnect ocean interacting with the sun and moon (as in tides), coupled with the conveyor system being completely different.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:02:09 PM

I don't see it. Is it sealing the tanks? That is just so the air won't float away. Not the same seal as the earth, gravity does that IRL. But basically we live on a wet rock with a bubble around it, so the sky is sequestered.  

FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:08:03 PM

I don't see it. Is it sealing the tanks? That is just so the air won't float away. Not the same seal as the earth, gravity does that IRL. But basically we live on a wet rock with a bubble around it, so the sky is sequestered.

If you didn't seal the tanks, you wouldn't have a valid experiment, as it would simply mix with the outside environment.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 05:12:19 PM

OK, maybe this will get you to understand. What happens when water boils?

John Self

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:25:45 PM

I dislike being 'preached at' as much as anybody.

But if people don't hear about global warming from pushy environmentalists, they'll hear about it from fruitloops like Alex Jones, the right wing press, the left wing press (which is usually pretty inaccurate too), silver tongued representatives of the oil and coal lobbies, people who believe that global warming won't happen because God promised Noah there wouldn't be a second flood (Republican congressmen), people who say que sera sera, car salesman and travel agents. Actually who needs a list, let's just say every group which has an investment in the current economic system which is based on carbon expenditure and ever expanding production and consumption.

In this situation it doesn't much matter who brings the problem up or how, so long as it's being discussed as a problem. Solutions will be embraced once we widely recognise warming to be a problem within our power. Anyone who recognises it as a problem and raises awareness is alright with me.

P.s. Here is a great Ted Talk on the importance for cattle grazing for global warming. The speaker argues that if we use cattle to reverse desertification, then we can begin to reverse climate change!

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change.html

14GXJ3Q16PJNNF6v4iyxhvuhacuhvckMym
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:26:34 PM

OK, maybe this will get you to understand. What happens when water boils?

What happens when we reduce our global footprint - i.e stop trying to fuck with the self regulating system. I'm awaiting your answer from my last post. And let me point out that it was you who just advocated that we should indeed reduce the level of fucking we do with the Earth's natural self regulation.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 05:48:35 PM

And... ?

Obviously, the extreme of not fucking with the self regulating system would be the absence of any humanity induced output. Something between our current output and no output would be less fucking with the self regulating system, no?
You assume that humanity is not part of that self-regulating system. We are not outside of nature. We are part of nature. Therefore anything we do is part of that self-regulating system. You complain about the environment not having time to adjust. Imagine what would happen if we suddenly changed directions just as the environment started to adjust?

Put another way, which is worse, inflation, or inflation, then deflation?

FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:58:14 PM

And... ?

You assume that humanity is not part of that self-regulating system. We are not outside of nature. We are part of nature. Therefore anything we do is part of that self-regulating system. You complain about the environment not having time to adjust. Imagine what would happen if we suddenly changed directions just as the environment started to adjust?

Put another way, which is worse, inflation, or inflation, then deflation?

Thank you for putting your foot in your mouth. If the new technology which mankind puts to use is part of the self regulating system, then please refrain from ever pointing to events prior to the technological age as analogies for climate change.

The bottom line is we are the only species which advances our tools at a rapid pace, thus constantly creating a change in the level of our effects. This rapid change is exactly the kind of thing which can throw a self regulating system out of balance. And that especially applies to the short term - i.e thousands of years.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:00:13 PM

Frankly, I wish the deniers were right.  Embarrassed

FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:02:13 PM

Frankly, I wish the deniers were right.  Embarrassed

Unfortunately, they are not. Too bad they can't see that.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 06:03:47 PM

Thank you for putting your foot in your mouth. If the new technology which mankind puts to use is part of the self regulating system, then please refrain from ever pointing to events prior to the technological age as analogies for climate change.

Right, because if the new stuff is part of the system, the old stuff clearly must not be. Roll Eyes

Humans have been changing their environment since the first hominid picked up a burning stick and brought it back to the cave.

FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:12:57 PM

Right, because if the new stuff is part of the system, the old stuff clearly must not be. Roll Eyes

Humans have been changing their environment since the first hominid picked up a burning stick and brought it back to the cave.

At ever changing rates, our technological changes are not necessarily things that our planet's self regulating system can deal with if your interest is a world rich in biodiversity, productive ecosystems, and by extension, ecosystem services.

You can clearly see the difference in 100,000 humans using fire vs. billions of cars today. Or are you not able to see that difference?
Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:15:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8HP1WzbDk

Think Carlin is spot on
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:19:18 PM

He's not spot on. Not only are people fucked, but so are tens of thousands of other species, ecosystems, and so on. And we're the cause of it.

There is no baseline metric of what defines the planet as being fine. The best metric is the one in which the planet's systems proceed at the pace they normally do, which is not occurring right now.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 06:21:53 PM

You can clearly see the difference in 100,000 humans using fire vs. billions of cars today.

Certainly. Progress. Eventually, we'll have a few trillion humans using space ships. Then some number of quadrillions using who knows what.

Or we can go back, and we'll still be back at 100,000 using fire when the sun bakes the planet dry.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: