Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:01:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Environmentalists, please stop ranting about global warming  (Read 3011 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:28:56 PM

You can clearly see the difference in 100,000 humans using fire vs. billions of cars today.

Certainly. Progress. Eventually, we'll have a few trillion humans using space ships. Then some number of quadrillions using who knows what.

Or we can go back, and we'll still be back at 100,000 using fire when the sun bakes the planet dry.

Your views are naive and unencumbered with sophistication.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 06:33:17 PM

You can clearly see the difference in 100,000 humans using fire vs. billions of cars today.

Certainly. Progress. Eventually, we'll have a few trillion humans using space ships. Then some number of quadrillions using who knows what.

Or we can go back, and we'll still be back at 100,000 using fire when the sun bakes the planet dry.

...and we're back to slinging mud, then, are we?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 06:46:57 PM

...and we're back to slinging mud, then, are we?

Not that I'm aware of. I made an assessment of your views on the subject. I don't consider it to be mud slinging, but a fair summary of your views. Take it as you will.
Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:06:14 PM

He's not spot on. Not only are people fucked, but so are tens of thousands of other species, ecosystems, and so on. And we're the cause of it.

There is no baseline metric of what defines the planet as being fine. The best metric is the one in which the planet's systems proceed at the pace they normally do, which is not occurring right now.

Nope. If you look at the planet you can find life everywhere. Dosen't matter how harsh it is. Life is everywhere. No matter if it's cold, warm, no oxygen, high pressure..... The planet will do fine long after we are gone.
If it's our time to go, it's our time to go. The planet will do fine without us
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:14:04 PM

He's not spot on. Not only are people fucked, but so are tens of thousands of other species, ecosystems, and so on. And we're the cause of it.

There is no baseline metric of what defines the planet as being fine. The best metric is the one in which the planet's systems proceed at the pace they normally do, which is not occurring right now.

Nope. If you look at the planet you can find life everywhere. Dosen't matter how harsh it is. Life is everywhere. No matter if it's cold, warm, no oxygen, high pressure..... The planet will do fine long after we are gone.

Study up on ecosystems, ecosystem services, and biodiversity.

It doesn't matter if we find lichens and bacteria in Antarctica. Our goal isn't to acknowledge that if we radically render the planet into an inhospitable place for megafauna, we will still have bacteria and heat thriving nematodes on the planet.

Please read again the last paragraph of the post you're responding to. I'll quote it for you:

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:14:44 PM

That is not very consoling. lol

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:20:53 PM

No, it's not. Not, at least, if you're human-centric. However, if what you care about is "the environment," or "the planet," then I imagine it's quite comforting to know that after we've wiped ourselves out, life on earth will continue.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:21:11 PM

It's an absurd argument.

What he just doesn't get is if nature, in the absence of mankind, takes the world in that direction, then so be it, but the reality is (and this is the key point), it is mankind that is taking the world in that direction, and that should be corrected.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:38:32 PM

What he just doesn't get is if nature, in the absence of mankind, takes the world in that direction, then so be it, but the reality is (and this is the key point), it is mankind that is taking the world in that direction, and that should be corrected.

"If nature, absent a key part of nature, takes the world in that direction, so be it, but the reality is (and this is the key point), it is that key part of nature that is taking the world in that direction, and that should be corrected."

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

Hey, isn't PETA also on that road where they'll only be satisfied when all human beings are wiped out?

I think it's safe to say, humans being selfish is a lot better than humans being dead.  Not saying "screw the planet", but, if I gotta live in space for the rest of my life, I'll be down with that.

FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:48:09 PM

Hey, isn't PETA also on that road where they'll only be satisfied when all human beings are wiped out?

I think it's safe to say, humans being selfish is a lot better than humans being dead.  Not saying "screw the planet", but, if I gotta live in space for the rest of my life, I'll be down with that.

So you admit it's better to be selfish and try and prevent our home from being destroyed by our pollution rather than being dead due to ecosystem destruction by our hand?
FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:49:25 PM

"If nature, absent a key part of nature, takes the world in that direction, so be it, but the reality is (and this is the key point), it is that key part of nature that is taking the world in that direction, and that should be corrected."

If man's technology is part of nature, then so are his efforts and programs to curtail pollution and environmental destruction.
Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:49:29 PM

Pretty much my point. If humans left or died, the planet would be fine without us. It's not like it's the end of the world
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:51:17 PM

So you admit it's better to be selfish and try and prevent our home from being destroyed by our pollution rather than being dead due to ecosystem destruction by our hand?
I've yet to see you admit it.

Just once, say that your top priority is human survival, and not that of "the planet," and I'll be behind you 100% on that.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:51:41 PM

I think we need to take ownership of our own planet.  Nobody takes a shit on their living room floor, right?  However, if my house going to be bull-dozed, and there's nothing I can do about it, there's no chance in hell I'm dying with it.

FirstAscent

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:53:10 PM

Just once, say that your top priority is human survival, and not that of "the planet," and I'll be behind you 100% on that.

My top priority is human survival within a natural environment that is allowed to proceed at a pace that is neither accelerated or decelerated by mankind. Simple enough.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:55:42 PM

No, it's not. Not, at least, if you're human-centric. However, if what you care about is "the environment," or "the planet," then I imagine it's quite comforting to know that after we've wiped ourselves out, life on earth will continue.
I'm cool with humans being gone. My view is that all life is really the same creature. I don't know why, but DNA has emerged and radiated into millions of forms. But it is all just the same DNA creature. You, me, trees, germs, we are the same creature.  There has been only one living thing ever discovered.
So it's no big deal if 90% of life dies on Earth. No different than pruning 90% of the limbs off a tree. Still, i will miss the parties.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:56:02 PM

My top priority is human survival within a natural environment that is allowed to proceed at a pace that is neither accelerated or decelerated by mankind. Simple enough.
Oh, so close, but you had to go and restrict it like that!
"within a natural environment that is allowed to proceed at a pace that is neither accelerated or decelerated by mankind."

So: Only on Earth, and we must limit our population so that we have no effect - as if we were not even there.

100,000 using fire when the sun bakes the planet dry. No thanks.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 07:57:01 PM

I'm cool with humans being gone. My view is that all life is really the same creature. I don't know why, but DNA has emerged and radiated into millions of forms. But it is all just the same DNA creature. You, me, trees, germs, we are the same creature.  There has been only one living thing ever discovered.
So it's no big deal if 90% of life dies on Earth. No different than pruning 90% of the limbs off a tree. Still, i will miss the parties.
Perhaps the next branch smart enough to throw them will have even better parties.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 07:57:34 PM

That's akin to saying "I'd be cool dying tomorrow."  I'm not Tongue  Sorry.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: