Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 04:28:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change Addresses  (Read 340 times)
bigbeninlondon (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:20:28 PM

I'm trying to understand change addresses, because I had the following situation happen.  I backed up my wallet and soon after proceeded to have a computer crash.  This wiped my system.  Pulled in the wallet I had backed up, and was missing many address labels I had created between backing up and failing (far less than 100, addresses were still stored in wallet).  Understanding that a wallet had 100 addresses preloaded, I started recreating addresses and matching up transactions I remembered.  I got most of them, and things were ok.  The other day, after learning about change addresses, I wondered if creating new addresses in my wallet would uncover those change addresses.  It appeared that it did.  I have created over 50 test addresses new from my wallet and all of them but one have activity on blockchain.info. 

Here are my questions.

1) Is there a way to view all the change addresses that have been created for me or do I have to keep creating them until I have them all?
2) When I create a new address for receiving in bitcoin-qt, does it randomly pick addresses from the pregenerated pool or proceed in order?  I had one address that I generated that showed no activity, and then the next one did.
3) Is this optional functionality?  Is there a way to turn this on and off?
4) These change addresses all have 0 balance.  Do they get transferred?  How does this all work?
chippy99

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 02:50:21 PM

#3: no way to turn it off with Bitcoin-QT.  However other clients don't have to act this way, they could put all your change to 1 address if they wanted.

Change addresses are a protection if Quantum computing ever happens.... if it did, you'd want to keep your addresses secret, ie never keep money in an address you've told people
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: