Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:49:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is an ETF?  (Read 1019 times)
Schuyler

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:52:10 PM

Hi,

I keep reading about the possible ETF SEC approval, but could anyone explain to me what it means? It means exchange traded fund, but there already are bitcoin exchanges in the US right? I'm confused.
ETFs are traded on stock exchanges, they can be bought and sold at any time during the day. Their price will fluctuate from moment to moment, just like any other stock's price, and an investor will need a broker in order to purchase them, which means that he/she will have to pay a commission.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:13:31 PM

Hi,

I keep reading about the possible ETF SEC approval, but could anyone explain to me what it means? It means exchange traded fund, but there already are bitcoin exchanges in the US right? I'm confused.
An ETF in this context would trade Bitcoin back and forth and use multiple methods such as shorting, on top of going long, to build investment wealth for the ETF and the people who invest in it.

Think of it like a fund that trades Bitcoin for you, so you put in $100 and, if they make 5%, you get close-ish to 5% on your investment, making you now have somewhere close to $105, after fees are taken of course.

Typically they outpace inflation and are actually pretty good, but a lot of variables can affect profitability.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: