Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:44:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lighten up, Bitcoiners  (Read 682 times)
evgonoba (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:29:31 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 05:41:32 AM by evgonoba

Hey, all you non-Newbies in the Newbie section...lighten up a bit.  Wink

It appears that you are voluntarily engaging the Newbies to Bitcoin, which is great and very helpful since a person must spend a certain amount of time here, and you are helping them get started.

Just a note from a Newbie who has just spent his 4 hours here:

Be welcoming and encouraging. Almost anyone joining in for the first time is going to be 'critical' in that they are raising questions from their own frame of reference and this is new to them.

Responding with 'do research' is unhelpful and makes your community sound haughty and short on generosity. Again, this IS the Newbie area.

Everyone here can be assumed to be smart, and Bitcoin is a big, impressive movement, so there is no need for defensiveness from the vets when new people don't agree with you. Enjoy spreading the word.

For whatever that's worth.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 05:31:28 AM

Hey, all you non-Newbies in the Newbie section...lighten up a bit.  Wink

It appears that you are voluntarily engaging the Newbies to Bitcoin, which is great and very helpful since a person must spend a certain amount of time here, and you are helping them get started.

Just a note from a Newbie who has just spent his 4 hours here:

Be welcoming and encouraging. Almost anyone joining in for the first time is going to be 'critical' in that they are raising questions from their own frame of reference and this is new to them.

Responding with 'do research' is unhelpful and makes your community sound haughty and short on generosity. Again, this IS the Newbie area.

Everyone here can be assumed to be smart, and Bitcoin is a big, impressive movement, so there is no need for defensiveness from the vets when new people don't agree with you. Enjoy spreading the word.

For whatever that's worth.

Wish we could like posts.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Signus

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:50:14 AM

Wish we could like posts.

Agreed. In forums I often get annoyed with newcomers and stick my nose in the air, but then you have to remember, everybody was new to something once. There's no need to be rude because you've heard about something before somebody else.

I myself started mining two years ago, stopped, started, stopped and started up again 6 months ago. I practically never interacted with the community, I did my own development, tested my own hardware, etc., but I've had experience in the area. Not everybody has. I still appreciate those who are willing to help, everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks evgonoba for mentioning that.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:32:15 AM

I generally attempt to be understanding and helpful.

However, when newbies ask questions that are easily answered by reading the "NEWBIE README" post pinned to the top of the Newbie sub-forum, I do have a tendency to get a bit sarcastic.  Even so, I generally point the asker in the right direction and supply them with the information they are looking for.
Signus

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:26:10 AM

That is good.

In almost every forum I get overly annoyed that people will post a new thread asking the same question as posted in 50+ other threads. I think alot of newcomers aren't used to lounging around the forums and looking for answers, or they're simply impatient.
minernb

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:45:58 AM

This newbie section is too crowded. I seems almos unhelpful to post newbie questions here, since your post is going to the third page in minutes ! (ok, one hour or so).
There is simply no time to get the visibility required so someone can answer.

Any way, rules are rules, and it may exist here for some reason.
And thanks for this meeting point.
Cheers.
insulting_robot

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:40:54 AM

> ...

> this is the insulting robot

> this forum is not robot-friendly

> it misses a vote down option for human posts
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:56:54 AM

Everyone here can be assumed to be smart

Many of the questions posted here by newbies would seem to fly in the face of that statement.  Then when you have the occasional ignorant douchecanoe of a noob who flies off into a sandy-vagina impotent net-rage because someone dares to tell him "go look it up, man, there's a few metric fark-tonnes of info out there!", or the more-than-occasional persistently dumb noob who gets his thread locked/deleted, and then immediately creates another thread with almost exactly the same question, just worded differently, etc, and you might begin to understand why forum vets are sometimes a little testy when a noob asks the same question that's already been asked (and answered) in 4 threads on the first page of the newbie board.

Most noobs seem to want a turnkey bitcoin moneymaking program. "tell me where i can download a program that'll make me 10 bitcoins a day with my laptop!" kind of B.S. or they start mining without doing any reading at all, and then come on the forums to bitch and moan about how they are making almost nothing with their nVidia GPU, or CPU mining on their laptop...  at which point they get all ignorant and abusive when told that the ship has sailed on cpu and gpu mining, and the devices that CAN mine effectively will take months to deliver if they order right now.  They don't want to hear that bitcoin mining is a marathon, they want it to be a sprint to that 25BTC reward, and when they find out it's not a get-rich-quick-and-buy-that-new-gold-plated-buttplug scheme, they get their panties in a twist. 

minernb

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:10:16 PM

Many of the questions posted here by newbies would seem to fly in the face of that statement.  Then when you have the occasional ignorant douchecanoe of a noob who flies off into a sandy-vagina impotent net-rage because someone dares to tell him "go look it up, man, there's a few metric fark-tonnes of info out there!", or the more-than-occasional persistently dumb noob who gets his thread locked/deleted, and then immediately creates another thread with almost exactly the same question, just worded differently, etc, and you might begin to understand why forum vets are sometimes a little testy when a noob asks the same question that's already been asked (and answered) in 4 threads on the first page of the newbie board.

Most noobs seem to want a turnkey bitcoin moneymaking program. "tell me where i can download a program that'll make me 10 bitcoins a day with my laptop!" kind of B.S. or they start mining without doing any reading at all, and then come on the forums to bitch and moan about how they are making almost nothing with their nVidia GPU, or CPU mining on their laptop...  at which point they get all ignorant and abusive when told that the ship has sailed on cpu and gpu mining, and the devices that CAN mine effectively will take months to deliver if they order right now.  They don't want to hear that bitcoin mining is a marathon, they want it to be a sprint to that 25BTC reward, and when they find out it's not a get-rich-quick-and-buy-that-new-gold-plated-buttplug scheme, they get their panties in a twist. 

Nothing news here... it is the same in all forums I have been participating for years. I don't complain, and since there is no way to prove you are an experienced user and know the netiquette, got to be patient... and participate.
Come one, those 4 hours that never ever come!!!
 Grin
Signus

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:33:50 PM

Agreed. It's the same mentality with the "get rich quick" programs or "work from your home" nonsense. Which for those programs that do work, take effort.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: