Bitcoin Forum
December 05, 2016, 08:48:59 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitDNS and Generalizing Bitcoin  (Read 91891 times)
marxcoin

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:27:03 PM

Person A: download list from an official site
Person A: asks his peers for the IP address
Malicious peer: cannot fake the list of the official site, or change local configuration without authorization.
Person A: cannot go to fake address, cannot donates his money to the Malcious Peer, and can go to see wikileaks

Who runs the official site? How do we go there? Does it have a normal ICANN DNS entry?

Why do we even have peers to ask for an IP address in this scenario? What data are we getting from the peers that we aren't getting from the list? In other words, for a peer to be unable to forge an IP address, we have to already know what the IP address is, so why are we asking them?

I hope to be clear, watch the sketch, give me your opinion.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9048/bitdns.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

17a8f8X6xHK9ZECxYZyhmfmtJgceYK6o5B

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 1932

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:45:23 PM

Malicious peer: cannot fake the list of the official site, or change local configuration without authorization.
Person A: cannot go to fake address, cannot donates his money to the Malcious Peer, and can go to see wikileaks

Who runs the official site? How do we go there? Does it have a normal ICANN DNS entry?

Why do we even have peers to ask for an IP address in this scenario? What data are we getting from the peers that we aren't getting from the list? In other words, for a peer to be unable to forge an IP address, we have to already know what the IP address is, so why are we asking them?

can't read handwriting.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
marxcoin

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 07, 2011, 06:50:13 PM

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9048/bitdns.th.jpg

can't read handwriting.

click on it

17a8f8X6xHK9ZECxYZyhmfmtJgceYK6o5B
dikidera

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 11:03:45 AM

Why would one want to generate DNSes? That also doesnt seem possible.
bytemaster

Activity: 728

BitShares

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 05:26:00 AM

Sorry for jumping in here, but here is what I want to do with respect to BitDNS...

First lets establish some terminology for what I would like to see.

Assume bitcoins are just "shares" of a total 23M of some *named* stock.  Currently all values are named "bitcoin" which can be tracked back to multiple base shares issued 50 at a time.

Let users introduce a new "base coin" transferring 100% (23M or 2^64-1) of that base coin to an address.  Where as generation fees only transfer 50 "bitcoins" from nothing to a new address.
Imbed a unique "name" into the script for this transaction.  The private key for this initial address "owns the name".

An analogy to this "transaction" would be for a company, "Apple Computer", to issue a new coin type called AAPL and transfer 100% to and address owned by "Apple Computer".  Now shares of AAPL can be traded and change hands, but the "issuer" still owns the name AAPL and can "sign messages" and perform other actions using that "identity".

Now all we need to do to transfer ownership of the name is to issue a new transaction of 0 units for AAPL and no "previous output" and sign it with AAPL's private key.  This can change the private key used to "sign for" apple, but does not change ownership of AAPL shares. 

Now we have a way to create new identities, names, and allow them to issue shares which can be traded like any other bitcoin using a common block chain.

A DNS system can now be validated by having all records signed by the private key of the current holder of the name.  It can be implemented entirely outside the blockchain/bitcoin framework.

All transactions would be limited to dealing with only one type of coin at a time. 

The only fee for registering a name would be the normal bitcoin transaction fee.

This could be implemented without breaking the existing block chain, but it would break clients that did not upgrade.

Questions:
1) Will it always be possible to trace a coin back to its origin?  Or will this info be "discarded" after a while.
2) Can an arbitrary 'name' be entered into the origin script? 
3) Can this 'name' be queried as needed

Benefits:
1) No limit to the number of names that can be issued
2) Can leverage existing bitcoin block chain (without introducing domain specific concepts, just generalize the idea of trading shares of stocks)
3) All "name registration fees" are handled by current bit coin transaction fees
         - this would require 'grouping' two transactions BTC for the fee and AAPL for the shares... *or* it would require changing the CTxOut to specify the desired share type. 
               This would be a breaking change.

4) Names can optionally expire, but shares can never be "reissued". 
5) Your wallet would now contain a unique balance for each type of "coin" it holds.
6) When you "send coins" you would need to specify the type.
7) We just decentralized the stock exchange. 
Cool Anyone can create a "bank" and issue "digital bank notes"

I suspect there are many more benefits... so the main questions are technical.  What would it take to make that happen?

https://steemit.com  Blogging is the new Mining
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1680

nmc:id/phelix

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:57:09 PM

necro...   can anybody point me to or send me the original irc discussion?

blockchained.com ■ bitcointalk top posts
coinrevo

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:05:30 PM

Have been looking for those logs as well. 11/14/2010 is missing from here http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2010/11
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 1792

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:17:28 PM

BitDNS became Namecoin http://namecoin.info/

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1680

nmc:id/phelix

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:20:05 PM

Have been looking for those logs as well. 11/14/2010 is missing from here http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2010/11
Hmm i thought bitcoin-dev and bitcoin were two different channels

blockchained.com ■ bitcointalk top posts
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.