Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:04:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: DESIGNING the next generation FAST CRYPTO CURRENCY MINING MACHINE  (Read 22898 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Viceroy (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:37:02 AM

I'm ready to design a prototype scrypt mining FPGA.  I need a development board.   I was thinking of this:
www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/EK-K7-KC705-G.htm

Are there better choices?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:06:05 AM

Instead of building a better miner... why not build a better coin.

Someone rang?

First flaw...
- Rewards are a gamble. They should be directly related to actual work provided, not a pot-luck. ... Your reward would be a direct fraction of the processing reward at the difficulty. Not a set reward, that excludes others actual work. That is just dumb, and as stated, already countered, thus, just leading to ASICs dominance. Eventually leading to one singular controller with the biggest asic-factory.)

In the Decrits proposal, people only create currency when it is profitable to produce the currency--there is high demand. The security of the network is separate from the monetary system. Security is paid for by tx fees. Coins are created as a block amount based on network activity, with each person wanting to mine part of the block "bidding" for it by producing small proofs-of-work. To reduce the "hardware tax" of the incentive to create ever more efficient hardware that ends up being more costly in the end (as explained by this thread), many coins are given freely away as a result of minting, via tx activity and account interest.

As these coins are given away, the incentive to continue creating coins quickly diminishes. Producing ASICs would quickly ramp up the difficulty so that ASICs are no longer profitable, and unlikely to ever see a return on the initial investment to create them, rather than the sunk costs of using a GPU. And new blocks of coins cannot be created unless there has been sufficient tx activity, so ASICs attempting to inflate the supply will quickly run into a wall where they can no longer mint until tx activity catches up.

It requires people to embrace the idea that using wasteful proof-of-work can not be the security of the system.

Second flaw...
- Poorly structured "tree branching", leading to 51% attacks. Though it can be corrected, it can not be avoided, and thus, 50% of this effort is wasted, and can lead to reversed transaction confusion, as "invalid transactions" get removed by the "corrected blocks". At minimum, no single entity/pool should be able to reach 33.333333% of the load. At the current time, pools are allowed to expand to 100% if desired. There should be a MINIMUM of 3x 33.333333% sections available for pool polling. Thus, always 3 separate entities, that can be confirmed, and can not "merge" works to become a 66.666666% pool, by obtaining two portions of the workload.

There is no competition in Decrits for who decides the network view. Shareholders stake the ability to create the network view with decrits. If they create a malicious view, their decrits can be destroyed, thus making it difficult to repeat the action. Each shareholder has a 10 second window where it can add transactions to be added to the chain. As long as the chain is relatively unbroken, small transactions can be reliably confirmed within 5-15 seconds.

Third flaw...
- Poor database structure and management. The "user", will eventually be burdened by a 385TB DB of transactions that only contain 1MB of transactions that relate to them. What are we at now, 9GB+ after 4.5 years, and growing exponentially with each transaction. (Users should only have to download transactions that pertain to them, and no more. Starting from the point at which they get that first transaction, and ignoring any other blocks that do not have transactions that do not pertain to them.)...

Decrits uses an account ledger that is updated by the consensus of shareholders every 10 days or so. Transactions after a set time are no longer necessary to maintain the state of the network. This limits the size on disk to the number of accounts times the number of bytes for an account. Somewhere on the order of 100 bytes. So even 1 billion accounts is only about 100GB. Additionally, because of the consensus system, "lite" clients can verify small blocks of accounts with only 50-100MB of data transferred per week in a network with millions of participants.

Fourth flaw...
- Lost accounts. There is no method of recovery for lost accounts. There are tools to assist with a recovery of a partial loss, if you have data to recreate it... but that only helps recover up to 100 keys beyond the point of where it can restore. Since, for some reason, new keys ask the network for the next 100 keys, instead of generating them sequentially, and selecting valid ones from YOUR selection, not asking the network for 100 more keys that you could never "guess", once a wallet is recovered. If it is ever recovered.

This is a software problem, not a network problem. Deterministic wallet addresses created by using personal information that is hard to obtain (good security questions) plus a sufficiently long password that must be securely kept, no one could lose their money due to a hard drive crash. Strongly enforcing this provision in the software is key to making this work.

Fifth flaw...
- Burden of load that does not expand, will only diminish in time. A diminished burden of load will result in failure of the network, as machines become fast enough to handle all transactions at once. Thus, leaving only one operator running the whole show. In the advent of ASIC's, it will turn the 30,000 GPU load-balanced network into 1,000 ASIC operators, which will fade into 10 Super-ASIC operators, which will end-up as 1 Super-Super-ASIC operator running the trillions of micro-transactions, and thus, not be able to "keep-up" the burden of the load, while manipulating the entire market that still exists.

"Handling" transactions is only a matter of bandwidth and CPU time. ASICs do not handle anything regarding transactions, only finding a nonce for proof of work. It is not required at all to secure the network. In decrits, as transaction volume increases, transaction fee receipts increase which encourages decentralization because to get paid, you only need to invest decrits into the security of the network, or you can also get paid by being a transmitting node. The Decrits proposal, coupled with its account ledger, will be highly bandwidth efficient, and the CPU time required to verify transactions can easily scale with home PC processing power.

Conclusion... Build a better coin. Otherwise you are just adding to the future problem, creating a super-asic.

See my signature for a link to the decrits proposal.

Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:33:49 PM

So does anyone have any feelings about the dev board at the top of the page for a scrypt miner?
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:48:53 PM

So does anyone have any feelings about the dev board at the top of the page for a scrypt miner?

good luck.  I'm assuming you are buying it for the onboard DDR RAM.  You will not be able to get and FPGA that will match a GPU using DDR.  You need to utilize on die memory.  On die memory is very small,  your next best bet would be to get a board with  QDR or SRAM but the price points on those would make a marketable unit useless.

If this is for academic reasons then it should work fine.  If you have cash to burn and want to work with QDR or SRAM you can get one of the Altera Stratus V boards.  ($10k to $12k each).
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:51:36 PM

The cash is not a problem, I'm going to make it back with my superminer in a day an a half anyway, right?

Send me a link to your favorite board and tell me what you like about it as an FPGA scrypt miner.

anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:08:47 PM

The cash is not a problem, I'm going to make it back with my superminer in a day an a half anyway, right?

Send me a link to your favorite board and tell me what you like about it as an FPGA scrypt miner.

not really.  the performance gain from an FPGA like this will be nominal.  You are stuck between many rocks and a hardplaces.  The larger the memory the further away from the processor it is.  If you want to scrypt mine with it you will have to code as many threads to run concurrently as possible.  That eats up a lot of RAM.  Using DDR RAM it has the most space and plenty of bandwidth but to run concurrently its slow.  Using QRD or SRAM you get faster processing but it is fractionally smaller so you won't be able to run as many threads.  You can't physically get the amount of SRAM available to you.

If you want to play aroudn with the just get any Stratix dev board.  Bitware and Nallatech are good choices.

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/kit-dev_platforms.jsp
Vigil

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:44:52 PM

I think ASICs may actually help decentralize mining just as the development of ICs and PCs brought centralized mainframes to the "periphery" (the consumer). ASICs make the mining rigs smaller, more attractive, more efficient, less expensive. The key is acceptance... as market capitalization increases, BTC will become more valuable and people will not mind being able to only mine .1 - 1 BTC per year (when 1BTC = $100,000). Mining units will become more user friendly requiring minimal setup - maybe plug and play
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:47:48 AM

1 BTC already reached $1000. Of course, it crashed down and is now somewhere in between. When 1 BTC = $100,000, then I wouldn't mind mining 1 BTC per year either.

That is, if I can still do it at home.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: