Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you support Piracy ?
Yes - 8 (80%)
No - 2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Do you support Piracy ?  (Read 947 times)
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 07:00:38 AM

Do you support Piracy ? AKA: File Sharing on the internet.
I am curious about the user base here and their stance on it.
Feel free to vote or post your opinion (account farmers welcome too as long as they are being honest)

I am guessing there should be greater than 50% support for File Sharing in crypto.

YES i do support P2P i am a proud Canadian "pirate"  Grin

Check out my awesome comments on this link.. https://torrentfreak.com/canada-remains-a-safe-haven-for-online-piracy-rightsholders-claim-170214/

FUD first & ask questions later™
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
waterboyserver

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 11:08:04 AM

Yeah i support piracy because not all the people are rich and canbuy what they want
LittleBitFunny

Activity: 1428
Merit: 129

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2017, 11:11:10 AM

Well it really depends on what you're pirating.  I would separate it into two main groups:

Business:
These groups are not reliant on every person buying their product as they produce something as high quality as it needs to be and already receive a profit.  I believe that in this case, piracy is morally acceptable, but if everyone pirated the product it would not be produced unless it was in public ownership, so my belief in this case is that you should buy it if you can afford it comfortably but it is acceptable to pirate.

Independent:
This consists of artists and others who are not given the stability of being in a major organisation such as a large record label for example.  In this case, piracy is wrong as it undermines people who are directly reliant on your money.  This especially applies if this person earns less than you.

I do think that it should be illegal (in a capitalist society), for normal operation as this distinction cannot be made in an objective manner by the Government so there needs to be a blanket ban.  That said, I do appreciate that the punishment for it and the chances of actually getting caught are pretty low.

adidas

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Americans do it better

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 12:10:27 PM

Well it really depends on what you're pirating.  I would separate it into two main groups:

Business:
These groups are not reliant on every person buying their product as they produce something as high quality as it needs to be and already receive a profit.  I believe that in this case, piracy is morally acceptable, but if everyone pirated the product it would not be produced unless it was in public ownership, so my belief in this case is that you should buy it if you can afford it comfortably but it is acceptable to pirate.

Independent:
This consists of artists and others who are not given the stability of being in a major organisation such as a large record label for example.  In this case, piracy is wrong as it undermines people who are directly reliant on your money.  This especially applies if this person earns less than you.

I do think that it should be illegal (in a capitalist society), for normal operation as this distinction cannot be made in an objective manner by the Government so there needs to be a blanket ban.  That said, I do appreciate that the punishment for it and the chances of actually getting caught are pretty low.

I am a free software supporter. This does not mean I support piracy. In USA if you try to download something through Torrent chances of you getting caught are high even when you are using a VPN there have been cases of people arrested. I think Piracy is being supported in third world countries where no one gives a shit what is going on online.

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 06:30:24 PM

It's a tricky issue.. i think i know lots about it.
I did not post this to lecture you all though.
Ultimately i wanted to poll the community to see the stats.
Simply out of curiosity.. say what you want and vote how you want guys.

yescopyleftsounds

Activity: 215
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2017, 06:34:22 PM

100% yes I'm not rich enough to get all things.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 06:49:35 PM

I'm a pirate since 1983 and 300 baud modems. I will always be a pirate even if they change laws.

WCAMN

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2017, 07:10:35 PM

I support it to some extent. For example, movies or series not available in your country (yet), and the such. Also I support it when the pirated media is outrageously pricy. Sometimes it's just not fair. However I don't support it when the author is not a big shot in the industry, and s/he actually does it for the fanbase and not the money. For example indie games.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 04:54:06 AM

I don't like for profit piracy.
Such as pirated knock off DVD's sold on a street corner with faked Sony brand labels etc.

Advertisement revenue on P2P sites in another touchy issue.
I'd say i mostly think they should be allowed to make money that way.

I think we are often making derivatives and sharing them freely.. which SHOULD be fine.
But i have always conceded that there may be some bad exceptions..
Such as a downloaded Windows MSDN OS disk image being shared that has the hash verified.
In that case it was something taken from their servers and passed around freely.
I think the P2P users should then mod the disk image a little so they can say it's not EXACT.

But it gets way worse..

Github has had Popcorn time distrib's taken down for copyright infringement.
When all it was is a tool used for *mostly* piracy.

I think the implementation of copyright laws has gotten perverse and distorted to be used as a tool ensure profits from anything they want us to buy.

The vast majority of PC games i played cracked i also bought.
yet i would still be accused of being a thief.

Anyway i think it's about our right to share and our right to make and share derivatives.
Making a derivative does not equal some other item being unavailable for sale afterwards.

If i make a charcoal rubbing of a Tomb Stone have i just stolen the thing ?
If i snap a picture of a picture in an art gallery did i just steal the painting ?
That equals lost revenue ?

yescopyleftsounds

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 07:51:34 AM

I'm a pirate since 1983 and 300 baud modems. I will always be a pirate even if they change laws.

lol since 1983 ? there was no personal computer's back then. what did u actually pirated ?
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 08:38:10 AM

lol since 1983 ? there was no personal computer's back then. what did u actually pirated ?

Not sure about him but i had one in the mid 80's
http://oldcomputers.net/trs80i.html

Radio Shack TRS-80
(Model I)

Catalog:   26-1001
Released:   August 1977
Price:   US $599.95 (with monitor)
How Many:   200,000 (1977-1981)
CPU:   Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz
RAM:   4K, 16K max*
Ports:   Cassette I/O, video,
   Expansion connector*
Display:   12-inch monochrome monitor
   64 X 16 text
Expansion:   External Expansion Interface*
Storage:   Cassette storage*
* Additional capabilties with Expansion Interface

My step dad when i was in grade 5 came home with it one day when i got off school.
I was stoked because i could play games like Space Invaders that were loaded off cassette tapes.
..using a standard tape player.

yescopyleftsounds

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 09:24:49 AM

Not sure about him but i had one in the mid 80's
http://oldcomputers.net/trs80i.html

Radio Shack TRS-80
(Model I)

Catalog:   26-1001
Released:   August 1977
Price:   US $599.95 (with monitor)
How Many:   200,000 (1977-1981)
CPU:   Zilog Z-80A, 1.77 MHz
RAM:   4K, 16K max*
Ports:   Cassette I/O, video,
   Expansion connector*
Display:   12-inch monochrome monitor
   64 X 16 text
Expansion:   External Expansion Interface*
Storage:   Cassette storage*
* Additional capabilties with Expansion Interface

My step dad when i was in grade 5 came home with it one day when i got off school.
I was stoked because i could play games like Space Invaders that were loaded off cassette tapes.
..using a standard tape player.

Holy shit that's really sick looking old PC
probably in future it's price may increase as it gets older and older.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 02:34:29 PM

I had an Apple II and a Comodore 64. Both are classic first gen personal computers. I actually still have both and all of the software that I pirated  Grin

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 05:09:56 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2017, 05:33:26 AM by Spoetnik

I never pirated games on my TRS-80 but could have easily.. copying from tape to tape was common back then.
(it's why they sold double cassette deck for AMP's and ghetto blasters)
I also don't have it anymore Sad

Chances are the sheer amount of gold in them would be worth more than anything.
Super old PC's are notorious for having huge amounts of gold in them.. Google it Wink

Back then though around the same tape i frequented my uncles house where he had a PC in the basement no idea which one but he had a massive collection of copied jumbo floppy games.
So when i went to his house i went straight to the basement and never left until it was time to go home.
Most of his games were pirated you could tell.

Back then we all used the first gen consoles etc too.
My best friend's Grandma's house had the Pong Console we played sometimes.. black & white of course.
He had some old console that took little cards like the TurboGrafx16 did many years later too.
I got the TG16 on launch for over $300
Had the first Nintendo and first Sega machines back in the day too.
If you are THAT old you all probably did.. there was not much else to use LOL

And i pirated console games too.. know how ?
Sometimes i would go to the video store and rent a Sega MasterSystem game then i would swap the inside of the game for one i had i didn't like then return it.
There is ALWAYS a way to Piracy Smiley

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 06:06:33 PM

If any of you pirates are interested in sharing a file with me, I'm looking for a specific one.

It's called "wallet.dat".

Don't worry, no harm will come to you as you will still have your copy! It only contains some random strings of numbers and letters anyway.

Thanks and yarrrrrr!

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
santaclaws

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

Horror Movie Phreak

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 07:35:55 PM

I used to pirate games for the Super Nintendo system. It was really easy all you had to do is buy a backup drive that sits on top of the console and uses 1.44mb floppy disks.

I even made my own joysticks by buying the actual arcade sticks and buttons, building them into a wooden box. Then taking apart the snes controllers and using the contacts to solder wires that lead up to the arcade stick and buttons. Worked like a charm.

AncientEnemy

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 10:08:04 PM

who don't is a liar! everybody use warez products!
saidhr20

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 10:51:10 PM

Yes i support pircay .. since not all ppl are rich and able to afford all things .. so it has a very good side  .. the only bad side is when u get hacked urself
Luzina90

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 11:26:00 PM

No, but in my contry its part of social life( its sad

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 07:54:46 PM

..uploading that wallet.dat Wink

That SNES setup is awesome !
Me ? i have ALL the ROMS on my HDD right now  Cool

Nintendo_Super_NES_ALL.rar (7.68 GB) files = 11,337
(i have all the ENG ones and a few others unpacked into a folder for an emulator too)

Everyone pirates ? Yup even Microsoft LOL

http://www.techpavan.com/2009/05/24/microsoft-deepz0ne-pirated-cracked-sound-forge-windows-xp-audio/

I was shocked while stumbling today when I came to know Microsoft has made use of pirated Sound Forge 4.5 for preparing audio files on Windows XP – the bestseller OS from Microsoft. On testing for genuinity of the information, I found that they have used the pirated copy. We all know how much they are against piracy and this shows how trust worthy they are. If such a billion dollar company is not ready to pay for a small software, why do they expect people to buy their softwares?

True.. i heard of this back in like 2003 and checked myself sure enough there it was.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: