Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:25:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC mining without external hardware?  (Read 1085 times)
Rayman12 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 10:31:17 AM

I was wondering how feasible mining is if I choose not to invest in any other hardware. I have a decent gaming rig dk if i will be able to mine on it.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 11:47:52 AM

I was wondering how feasible mining is if I choose not to invest in any other hardware. I have a decent gaming rig dk if i will be able to mine on it.

Bitcoin itself, it is *feasible* from a technical perspective, but not profitable.  If you google bitcoin mining calculator you can run the numbers to see.

An alt coin, probably, see e.g.:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1318921.0
LittleBitFunny

Activity: 1428
Merit: 129

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 03:57:47 PM

I wouldn't suggest Bitcoin mining without separate hardware.  You can do it but you'll probably spend more on electricity than your earnings and even if you don't you're talking about pennies for your expensive computer's use.  If you want to start Bitcoin mining you need to invest, or you could go down to the altcoin mining board and consider more profitable but more risky work in altcoin mining instead.

olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 04:02:48 PM

I will advise that you dont even venture into that, the best way to go about minning these days is through hardware equipment because that is the only way you can see some returns as suggested by others. Let me also state that you shouldnt consider going the way of cloud mining for whatever reason because that will even worse off than your current position...
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 04:10:50 PM

No, no it is not...

Look at my post here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1783157.msg17790187#msg17790187
I took the effort of calculating how much you'd make using a PC with decent XEON CPU's and 6 really good GPU's running 24/7 at 100%... It was about $1/year...
Altcoin mining, probably, bitcoin mining no...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████