Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:43:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Ripple giveaways introduce extreme fluctuation in XRP:BTC/USD market?  (Read 1993 times)
redbos (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:15:15 PM

So as I keep trying to get started with Ripple, I've been following the exchange rates at ripplecharts.com. It looks like the value of a Ripple has increased significantly over the last couple weeks. I'm thinking that others are in the same position as me: They want to test out Ripple, but also see that there may be value in buying ripples as in investment (maybe not now, but later?). As such, the price creeps up as demand rises for Ripples. But with the announcement today that there is another round of giveaways coming, it seems that the cost of ripples will drop significantly and then slowly creep up until the next giveaway.

With all this in mind, I wonder if since OpenCoin is holding onto most of the coins then releasing them in deluges (or a perceived deluge) is going to cause a rollercoaster in the XRP world.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Are there plans to tackle the release of XRP in a manner that ensures stability? Am I just a noob that doesnt know what I'm talking about? Smiley
alexkravets

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:10:54 PM

TL;DR XRP giveaways won't cause price collapses.

Long version:

1. Don't forget reserve and trust & offer reserve requirements, i.e. just because every Joe & his uncle gets 500 XRPs doesn't mean most of them won't be sequestered in reserve.
2. OpenCoin would have to be idiots to deluge the market and undermine the system, clearly they are not.
3. Giveaways will proceed at the same time as an orderly XRPs-for-sale market will operate within Ripple, similar to what's been happening until now, where there is enough investor interest to acquire XRPs in larger quantities then given away to ensure a stable dollar-pegged crawling appreciation rate of XRPs.

Alex Kravets         http://twitter.com/alexkravets
redbos (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:19:24 PM

1. Don't forget reserve and trust & offer reserve requirements, i.e. just because every Joe & his uncle gets 500 XRPs doesn't mean most of them won't be sequestered in reserve.
I thought they got more then that? Something like 30k

2. OpenCoin would have to be idiots to deluge the market and undermine the system, clearly they are not.
Can you explain how you know they would not make this mistake? This sounds like a sweeping assumption.

3. Giveaways will proceed at the same time as an orderly XRPs-for-sale market will operate within Ripple, similar to what's been happening until now, where there is enough investor interest to acquire XRPs in larger quantities then given away to ensure a stable dollar-pegged crawling appreciation rate of XRPs.
Has this been announced by OpenCoin? If there is a document or post I should refer to, that would be great to see! I guess it would fall along the lines of a monetary policy by OpenCoin, or the like.
alexkravets

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:42:54 PM

I thought they got more then that? Something like 30k

The give away in bitcointalk.org forum began with 50,000 XRPs and every one or two weeks the amount was decreased, not it's down to 20,000 XRPs and will soon stop all together.
Facebook giveaway to "early adopters" will likely not be more than 10,000 XRPs and will get smaller as time goes on ...
The point is that only early adopters will get thousands of XRPs, the unwashed masses will get < 1000 XRP each by the time 50 billion is given out, most likely vast majority of the late adopter crowd will only be given 500, i.e. just a bit more than reserve requirement to allow the accounts to be fully functional (until the reserve maybe lowered by network consensus).

Can you explain how you know they would not make this mistake? This sounds like a sweeping assumption.

Because, the system will be open sourced, distributed and they will give up control over the network, their only conceivable source of revenue will be XRP sales (the 30% sold to gateways & banks).

Clearly, with that kind of business model, where they literally bet the company on the stability and appreciation of the XRP vs. USD .. .they are not incentivized to undermine themselves by flooding the market with too many XRPs too soon. 

Has this been announced by OpenCoin? If there is a document or post I should refer to, that would be great to see! I guess it would fall along the lines of a monetary policy by OpenCoin, or the like.

There is not official proclamation I can give you a link to, but this was stated in private conversations with insiders over IRC, in person during recent Ripple meetup and even in Skype.  If you feel like digging up old IRC logs, I refer you to #ripple channel on FreeNode.

Alex Kravets         http://twitter.com/alexkravets
tclo

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:47:58 PM

It depends on how many they give away. If it is 500 per person, it could make the price rise as more people want to buy more. If they give away thousands to everyone, then would probably cause the value of XRP to drop.

Time will tell...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: