Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:04:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfloor shutting down  (Read 4882 times)
dollarbill (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:10:38 PM

I just went to the Bitfloor website and there is this message:

I am sorry to announce that due to circumstances outside of our control BitFloor must cease all trading operations indefinitely. Unfortunately, our US bank account is scheduled to be closed and we can no longer provide the same level of USD deposits and withdrawals as we have in the past. As such, I have made the decision to halt operations and return all funds.

Over the next days we will be working with all clients to ensure that everyone receives their funds. Please be patient as we process your request.

- Roman
founder - bitfloor.com

Does anyone have any more info concerning this? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meangreen

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:13:25 PM

maybe mt gox bought them out so they can be the only game in town?
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:16:26 PM

Does anyone have any more info concerning this? 

No, but the writing have been on the wall for a long time. It's incredible that people don't see this. I've warned about this a long time ago. It's just common sense, there's been too much fuckups, eventually the fuckups accumulate and it all goes kaboom.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:18:43 PM

Isn't this the 2nd time they've shut down?

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:20:11 PM

They got goxxxed?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
btcinstant

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:14:32 AM

They got goxxxed?

This! ^^
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 12:20:15 AM

It was hard enough for them to try to restart their business with a huge debt hanging over their heads that they were promising to repay with their profits.

An early company needs to be able to put their profit into the business for a while.

I liked BitFloor, they allowed for easy deposit through ING and paid you to exchange your funds. The only reason I did not sign up is knowing that they were in the hole and would likely never be able to make it.

It sucks since they really support Bitcoin and were trying to do the right thing by paying people back after the hack.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:22:55 AM

It was hard enough for them to try to restart their business with a huge debt hanging over their heads that they were promising to repay with their profits.

Was it them who tried hide losses/gamble with client funds ? I remember distinctly one exchange doing that, and I figured that was the end of trust for that exchange..
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:33:23 AM

Bank of America is probably shutting down his account when they learned he was using it for bitcoin business.

I'm grumpy!!
Zomdifros

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:47:05 AM

Bank of America is probably shutting down his account when they learned he was using it for bitcoin business.

I doubt Bank of America gives a fuck about Bitcoin. It's more likely the account was closed either because Bitfloor wasn't solvent or AML requirements became a headache. What Bitcoin needs is a strong financial player willing to build and support a professional infrastructure so people can buy bitcoins fast, safe and easy.

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 10:12:48 AM

Was it them who tried hide losses/gamble with client funds ? I remember distinctly one exchange doing that, and I figured that was the end of trust for that exchange..
Maybe you're thinking about bitmarket.eu?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Keyur @ Camp BX

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 10:24:12 AM

If anyone is looking for a new place to trade, please consider CampBX.  We will love to have you on our platform.

- Keyur

Please stay tuned to our news and announcements feeds at:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CampBX
Facebook: https://facebook.com/CampBX
dave3

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:20:48 AM

If anyone is looking for a new place to trade, please consider CampBX.  We will love to have you on our platform.

- Keyur

https://campbx.com/faq.php#fund-transfers
Wire Transfers (including International):

Unfortunately wire transfer deposits are temporarily unavailable.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:43:34 PM

I doubt Bank of America gives a fuck about Bitcoin. It's more likely the account was closed either because Bitfloor wasn't solvent or AML requirements became a headache. What Bitcoin needs is a strong financial player willing to build and support a professional infrastructure so people can buy bitcoins fast, safe and easy.

Um, no, banks absolutely DO give a fuck about bitcoin.

I'm grumpy!!
centove

Activity: 194

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:56:22 PM

- Keyur

I like that it's local to me so if I need to physically go grab a tie I can Smiley

Give me Btc: 1BRkf5bwSVdGCyvu4SyYBiJjEjbNiAQoYd Mine on my node: http://ask.gxsnmp.org:9332/
radiumsoup

Activity: 356
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:09:06 PM

Um, no, banks absolutely DO give a fuck about bitcoin.

No, not really. At least, not in the way you think they are. I think they're amused and paying attention, but they're in no way threatened by BTC. It's not like BTC is competition to a bank at all until the idea that ALL currencies might some day be replaced by crypto-currencies - but even then, it's going to require some level of trust for depositors, since the idea of maintaining private keys and the relative inconvenience of BTC compared to the current USD system is confusing at best to the average consumer, who better to trust than your bank to handle the complexity of your bitcoins in the future?

Banks make money by lending cash against deposits. They don't care if deposits are in USD, seashells, grains of salt, or blind hookers, as long as they can lend out more than they take in (I think I might be the first person to come up with the idea of timesharing out blind hookers as a unit of currency...). They take deposits, lend it back out several times over, and pocket the interest. BTC is not a replacement for banking, it's just another vehicle to store value - and banks are really, really, really good at multiplying stored value.

Put it into another perspective: the entire market value of BTC as expressed in USD is about $1 billion right now. That's a large number, sure - but the number of deposits just insured by the US FDIC (not to mention other global bank systems) is $9,200 billion. And the amount of cash loaned back out on that is staggeringly higher. As in hundreds of trillions of dollars globally. BTC is a VERY small player in the "value storage and lending" business, and it's in no way a threat to the business models of traditional banks. (I haven't done a thorough analysis on investment banking, but I'm quite confident that adding another currency to the FOREX mix isn't going to revolutionize the global economy... it'll just make another payment method available, which will increase the number of transactions, which will increase arbitrage opportunities, and they make even more money.)

In time, banks will be looking at BTC as a potential source of revenue, not as something that needs to be quashed. It's a fallacy to believe that since the stated purpose of BTC is to be decentralized, that centralized entities will be unable to use it to their advantage. They're smarter than you think.

PGP fingerprint:   0x85beeabd110803b93d408b502d39b8875b282f86
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:15:46 PM

If anyone is looking for a new place to trade, please consider CampBX.  We will love to have you on our platform.

- Keyur
Can you add some way of quickly depositing cash into a trading account?

LocalTill was great because it was inexpensive and didn't involve Moneygram, but even if you could just get your platform added to the list of destinations BitInstant supports that would be a significant improvement.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:18:26 PM

Banks do not like a lot of ACH in / out. It does look like money laundering.
finder_keeper

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:22:06 PM

- Keyur

I just opened an account and Dwolla'd $1000 into it. I will update with my trading experience.

Right off the bat, I notice that there's no trade volume information, and the order book (depth table) has to be refreshed *manually* using the browser.

-- FK

12HYShbhrFH1eyrmXc3zMRSFFnkgaVstcg
radiumsoup

Activity: 356
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:30:11 PM

- Keyur

I just opened an account and Dwolla'd $1000 into it. I will update with my trading experience.

Right off the bat, I notice that there's no trade volume information, and the order book (depth table) has to be refreshed *manually* using the browser.

-- FK

From the looks of it, I believe they're aiming for the API traders. Looks fine to me, as I'm an API trader myself, and I'm moving cash to them next week to try them out as well... but you're right, without browser based trades being easier, they're going to very severely restrict their client base - it's just not browser-friendly.

PGP fingerprint:   0x85beeabd110803b93d408b502d39b8875b282f86
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: