Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:03:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Hardware advice requested.  (Read 418 times)
Scamanga (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 01:01:21 PM

Hi guys.

I think I have sorted the idea for my 1st rig. In my head at least. Can someone tell me if this is a sensible rig to start having a play with?

ASRock H81 pro BTC
4GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Celeron G1840 Processor 2.8 GHz LGA1150
Samsung 250GB SSD
3x Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 8192MB GDDR5
Custom case
Riser cards and cables etc
EVGA 1000 W GQ Series ATX Modular PSU

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 01:31:58 PM

Hi guys.

I think I have sorted the idea for my 1st rig. In my head at least. Can someone tell me if this is a sensible rig to start having a play with?

ASRock H81 pro BTC
4GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung 250GB SSD
Custom case

First off, do you realize your name has the word Scam in it? ...just an observation  Grin

In regards to your question:
  • Do you plan on modding the bios of these GPU's? If not, then I recommend you save some money and get another lesser cost RX480 such as XFX or MSI
  • If you're buying an enclosed case, you won't need risers for 3x GPU's just a board and case with enough room
  • If you think you may go all out some day, get a board that supports up to 6/7 GPU's and stick with the Sapphire cards you've already identified
  • I recommend a good CPU cooler and consideration of a better CPU if you think you might want to CPU mine alt coins later (example: Pascal is getting popular only now and I CPU mined it last year when no one was paying any attention to it -- been bag holding the coins since.

eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 01:35:19 PM

Hi guys.

ASRock H81 pro BTC
4GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung 250GB SSD
Custom case

You don't need SSD for miner. It does help when you are setting it up but if you are on a tight budget you can save some money there. Also if you plan to stick with only 3 cards 1000w Power supply is a bit of overkill, if not it's fine then
Scamanga (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 01:43:53 PM

Thank you Eyedol-X

You make a fair point with the name I guess! Whoops. It is actually my alias from my DJ days :-)

I am starting with the 3 cards in a standard ATX case (with plenty cooling), just to get the rig going from a software perspective and get an idea of what's what. The plan is to build out, hence I have already ordered the "open air" case with all the riser modules etc and going with the slightly overkill PSU.

I do believe that this board it 1+5 PCIe from reading the specs, so the build out to 6 should be supported as far as I can tell.

The CPU / Pascal is an interesting observation and something I obviously overlooked!! As you seem to have an idea about the CPU side of things, what would you recommend?Intel i5 minimum?

Thanks so far :-)
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 01:55:02 PM

Thank you Eyedol-X

You make a fair point with the name I guess! Whoops. It is actually my alias from my DJ days :-)

I am starting with the 3 cards in a standard ATX case (with plenty cooling), just to get the rig going from a software perspective and get an idea of what's what. The plan is to build out, hence I have already ordered the "open air" case with all the riser modules etc and going with the slightly overkill PSU.

I do believe that this board it 1+5 PCIe from reading the specs, so the build out to 6 should be supported as far as I can tell.

The CPU / Pascal is an interesting observation and something I obviously overlooked!! As you seem to have an idea about the CPU side of things, what would you recommend?Intel i5 minimum?

Thanks so far :-)

it boils down to budget on the CPU side, currently all my rigs have either a 3770k, 5775C, 4770k, 4790k, or 7600k except my most recent build is a 4690k and I have another 4690k waiting for the next build.

If I was buying right now I'd look towards the high end of the i5 on the intel side, if you're willing to spend the money, obviously the i7 is going to give you a higher hashrate than an i5 but is the additional ~$100 for the CPU worth it? The answer to that is a subjective one.

However, if you haven't yet actually purchased the board and can wait, AMD Ryzen will be out by month end and their i5/i7 equivalent "Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7" should be strongly considered because if the leaked performance specs out their now are proven in the next couple of weeks, they will be a great alternative for less cost.

Some of these CPU's you can pick up rather cheap on ebay, especially if you can find the rare engineering sample versions. People often don't think of them when shopping for a cpu for mining.

Scamanga (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2017, 02:07:06 PM

Thanks for that!

Given that the initial thought was to start with a GPU focussed setup and the CPU being a side kick, I think I will chuck in a half decent i5 for now. Would like to get up and running sooner rather than later.

Thanks very much for your help :-) Pretty sure I will bump into you again on here!

Nice one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: