Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:43:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could the creator simply take blocks for himself?  (Read 1038 times)
EyeRis (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:18:40 PM

Though I do not FULLY understand how bitcoin works I do know that someone has to be running the network and I thought to myself how slow this forum is becoming. I thought to myself I wonder if the owner of bitcoin could simply use a block to buy better hosting... Which obviously scared me afterward to think about the amount of corruption that could be behind it if it is indeed possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:22:54 PM

There is no "owner" of Bitcoin in the sense you seem to mean. There is a creator, and subsequently several people developing it. (actually the creator, known as Satoshi Nakamoto, may well be several people.)

As for whether they can take blocks, no. They most likely have a significant sum from mining in the early days of Bitcoin, but now, there is no known way anyone could create blocks at will. Preventing that is the whole point of Bitcoin, and it's open-source so people can trust there not to be any hidden back doors in the code.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
davidsmcnally

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:26:18 PM

There's no one person who runs the network. Basically, it's run by a massive cluster of computers around the world run by people all over the world. Each of these computers is running the same computer program, which dictates exactly how the network should run. So instead of it being run by one person, it's (basically) run by a computer program that won't change.
Bert

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:28:55 PM

What the forum could do is display a donate address on the front page. If people thought that the site was too slow they could throw a few dBTC at the address to sponsor a new server(s), hosted at a site that accepts BTC's as payment.

Tip jar: 1BW6kXgUjGrFTqEpyP8LpVEPQDLTkbATZ6
EyeRis (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:30:23 PM

What the forum could do is display a donate address on the front page. If people thought that the site was too slow they could throw a few dBTC at the address to sponsor a new server(s), hosted at a site that accepts BTC's as payment.

yes well i was thinking a donate button or a tax or something that the forum admin could exchange for USD for better hosting.
bitminers

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:32:30 PM

Fantastic Idea! A faster Host is needed, I think the traffic here is getting way to much for the current Bandwidth or server which ever it maybe? There is enough users to all make a small donation for this!!!

Lets support this 100%
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 05:34:05 PM

Fantastic Idea! A faster Host is needed, I think the traffic here is getting way to much for the current Bandwidth or server which ever it maybe? There is enough users to all make a small donation for this!!!

Lets support this 100%

I agree, and a message board revamp/upgrade, default SMF is no fun for the growth this forum has experienced this year.

cynikal

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:02:17 PM

yes well i was thinking a donate button or a tax or something that the forum admin could exchange for USD for better hosting.

plus if there was a donate-so-i-dont-have-to-be-relegated-to-newbiedom link that'd be cool too Wink
EyeRis (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 07:34:52 PM

plus if there was a donate-so-i-dont-have-to-be-relegated-to-newbiedom link that'd be cool too Wink

Hmm I would agree tot hat but I like the freedom that bitcoin comes with. I think that instills to much of a government like power. You must pay to have benefits of a full forum "citizen"
okiyama

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 07:43:56 PM

Well I guess it would be a quicker way out of the 4 hours and 5 posts thing, not a different class of citizen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: