Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:24:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HUGE Donation Opportunity for Epic Change  (Read 2434 times)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 04:00:46 PM

Following is an email I just sent to my friends who created a charity / aid organization that's making a TREMENDOUS difference in the lives of Tanzanian (African) orphan children who have no other access to education.   They have built an INCREDIBLE school for these children...  Personally, making trips to Tanzania to build it with their own hands, getting the school internet access, donating laptops...  It's unbelievable what a few dedicated people can do!

Anyway, here is my email to them, just now:

Subject:  HUGE Donation Opportunity for Epic Change

Hello, Stacey and Sanjay!

Long time no chat....

Hey, I wanna tell you about something very new and very cool.  

It's a brand new technology....  It's a cryptocurrency.  

The short version of the story is:    It is electronic money.    As easy to send as an email.    Costs the same as sending an email.    Basically, Free.

It doesn't matter if you send US$0.01 ......or US$1,000,000.00  .....the transaction cost is the same:   Zero.    (...or LESS THAN $0.01 for very large amounts, sometimes)

It's Absolutely Perfect for charitable organizations like  http://EpicChange.org  because people can donate with one click....  Many many small amounts REALLY add up!

I thought of you guys, as I was writing this forum post, and I mentioned your work there:   http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=369.msg22087#msg22087  

To begin receiving monetary donations via Bitcoin, here's all you have to do:

(1)   Either:

(a)     Go to http://MyBitcoin.com and get a free account there.   You will be given your own Bitcoin address for RECEIVING.  It takes 4-5 seconds to do this.   ~~ or ~~

(b)     Go to http://Bitcoin.org and download the app.  Upon launching it, you will be given your own Bitcoin address for RECEIVING.  It takes 1-2 minutes to do this...

(c)     Or you can do both of these things.  Smiley

(2)  List on your "Donate" web page, something to this affect:    "We also accept donations via Bitcoin.   Our Bitcoin address is:  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx "

For an example of another organization already accepting donations this way, see:   "Ways You Can Help EFF | Electronic Frontier Foundation"  http://www.eff.org/helpout
     ( look for the word "Bitcoin" on this page )

That's it.   You're done.

Later, you can keep an eye on your growing balances within your MyBitcoin.com account online and/or within your Bitcoin application.

If and when you decide to convert your Bitcoin balance(s) into US Dollars, simply go to any of the Exchange Sites, like http://mtgox.com and instantly convert them into US$, then transfer them out and back into your own bank account if/when you want to.  MtGox can even send it to you by ACH (direct deposit) into your bank account, if you want.

For loads more information, and helpful folks who are very happy to answer your questions, visit the Forum at http://Bitcoin.org

Bruce Wagner

646-580-0022  ●  bruce@brucewagner.com  

WHY am I telling you all this?

I CHALLENGE YOU to send a similar email  ( totally copy my verbiage if you like ) to YOUR favorite charitable organization.

Then, come back here and post a copy for us all to see.    

( I have a feeling that a few of us will be motivated to go visit that organization's web site and donate some Bitcoin too...  Smiley   Or nudge them a tiny bit more, if they fail to start accepting Bitcoin donations on their web site... )

So....   Go write such an email letter to YOUR favorite charity right now!    And before you click Send, copy and paste it into this thread.   Don't think about it...  Go and do it right now!
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 07:38:53 PM

guess you should tell us something about that charity before we start donating...

also, they can't buy much with their bitcoins (so far), I guess donating for these kind of foundations is better made with "real money".

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 11:29:00 PM

They're my friends... so I wrote the email the same way I would say it if I were talking to them on the phone...  (I am very enthusiastic).   Smiley

guess you should tell us something about that charity before we start donating...

Actually, I did.   In the first paragraph I gave you a brief intro about what they do.  I also included the link to their site:  http://EpicChange.org so you can read more, and see lots of photos and videos about their projects.

they can't buy much with their bitcoins (so far), I guess donating for these kind of foundations is better made with "real money".

They can exchange their bitcoin donations into "real money" at MtGox.   MtGox can even direct deposit the funds into their US bank account, just like your employer direct-deposits your paycheck.    What more could they possible want to do with them?

Bitcoin donations are MUCH better... because there are no exorbitant transaction fees going to PayPal, or Credit Card banks, etc.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 11:41:07 PM

They can exchange their bitcoin donations into "real money" at MtGox.   MtGox can even direct deposit the funds into their US bank account, just like your employer direct-deposits your paycheck.    What more could they possible want to do with them?

Bitcoin donations are MUCH better... because there are no exorbitant transaction fees going to PayPal, or Credit Card banks, etc.

True, but if ultimately they want the donations in a national currency, fees are still involved.

Receiving Liberty Reserved USD (after selling BTC, presumably) incurs a fee.  There may be further fees converting LR-USD into something that may be deposited into a bank account.

Of course, in the ideal world, the charity would use their BTC to purchase goods and services directly.  One easy example right now of a useful, legitimate BTC-based business is web hosting, which many charitable organizations require.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 11:42:08 PM

Or..... just leave them in Bitcoin.... and watch the value grow.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2010, 11:44:33 PM

Or..... just leave them in Bitcoin.... and watch the value grow.

So... epic change later on?  Tongue

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 12:37:21 AM

Smiley   Either way....  The funds are there when they're ready to use them.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2010, 08:51:03 PM

It is naive

If they invest in bitcoin they will not even be able to understand how much money they have: only that they had 100 500 BTC, then 200 000, then again the 100 000 and all this for a few hours.

We must fight for the stability of exchange rates rather than coverage. Otherwise it will have a negative effect, how to give tantrum in the moving to a Jabber from other IMs (in Russia, at least)

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2010, 09:50:19 PM

It is naive

If they invest in bitcoin they will not even be able to understand how much money they have: only that they had 100 500 BTC, then 200 000, then again the 100 000 and all this for a few hours.

We must fight for the stability of exchange rates rather than coverage. Otherwise it will have a negative effect, how to give tantrum in the moving to a Jabber from other IMs (in Russia, at least)

Um, how do we fight for stability? And what is the "right" rate. Fixing exchange rates requires endless resources or a military.

Rates want to be free!

If small minded people are bothered just use the words they like. "Bitcoins are on sale now! Limited time!" and "Your investment is a success! <pat on back>"

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 11:10:10 PM

It is naive

Um, how do we fight for stability? And what is the "right" rate. Fixing exchange rates requires endless resources or a military.

Rates want to be free!

If small minded people are bothered just use the words they like. "Bitcoins are on sale now! Limited time!" and "Your investment is a success! <pat on back>"

Simple. By speculation.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2010, 12:16:12 AM

It is naive

Rates want to be free!

Simple. By speculation.

haha, correct answer. I don't think it will result in the stability some are looking for though, but only stability in the sense of being as near "right" as the humans involved can get it (which changes all the time).

bitcoinex

Activity: 350

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2010, 01:25:06 AM

It is naive

If they invest in bitcoin they will not even be able to understand how much money they have: only that they had 100 500 BTC,

(oops! "USD" I mean)

then 200 000, then again the 100 000 and all this for a few hours.

Um, how do we fight for stability?

I can only guess.

And what is the "right" rate. Fixing exchange rates requires endless resources or a military.

I said nothing about a fixed rate.

I said that rate jumps to 50% every hour

Rates want to be free!

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 07:51:08 AM
Last edit: November 20, 2010, 08:06:37 AM by brucewagner

UPDATE:  Epic Change emailed me to tell me that....

They now accept donations via Bitcoin.  

See http://EpicChange.org for information.  

You can find their bitcoin address listed on http://bitcoinaddress.com

Please:

(1)    Send them an email asking them to list their Bitcoin address on their "Donate" page of their web site.

(2)   Send them a little (or a big) Bitcoin donation.   It couldn't be a better cause.    Talk about getting the biggest bang for your Buck...!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2010, 07:58:44 AM

UPDATE:  Epic Change emailed me to tell me that....

They now accept donations via Bitcoin.  

See http://EpicChange.org for information.  

You can find their bitcoin address listed on http://bitcoinaddress.com

Even if trust wasn't an issue, it is super lame to not put an address on site. Are they just waiting for the webmaster to add it?

edit: People need to ask them to put it on site? Why are they reluctant?

Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 08:05:31 AM

No.  They're not "reluctant".  I'm sure it's just a matter of waiting for their webmaster to do it.
In any case, asking them to do it will go a long way toward demonstrating how much interest there is from the Bitcoin user community.  Remember,  they just heard of Bitcoin about a day ago.   They just got their own Bitcoin address at that time.   At my suggestion.   They're doing their best.   Smiley
Vernon715

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 09:52:45 PM

Pretty cool. will their education also cover bitcoin and other alt currencies Grin

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 09:58:54 PM

Wow, old thread. Did they use MyBitCoin and lose all their donations?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 03:56:46 PM

Wow, old thread. Did they use MyBitCoin and lose all their donations?

-MarkM-

I doubt they received many donations. I'd give you the address stats, but blockchain.info seems to be down.

Pretty cool. will their education also cover bitcoin and other alt currencies Grin

Why are you mass-necroing ancient threads?

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: