Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:24:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bitcoin wallet  (Read 101996 times)
fahrenheit451

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 01:26:21 PM

No. Ledger is powered by HW. 1 firmware which is open-source AFAIK and also https://github.com/LedgerHQ/.

I'm afraid this is not entirely true (but I know I'm taking it to the extreme here):

The firmware is not open source - as vendor NDAs prevent us from releasing a source code that would be of any use to our users. However, the specifications are fully open and detailed, and all cryptographic operations are deterministic, which allow any user to verify that the card is answering what it should and that there is no side channel.

Source: http://support.ledgerwallet.com/knowledge_base/topics/is-it-open-source?from_search=true
gugel8989

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:50:42 AM

Love Coinbase so much. The cool thing about an online wallet is that I have access to my BTC wherever I am in the world without any hassle. If I were to carry my wallet.dat file on a pendrive with me, I would have to install the qt on a public computer (unless I bring my laptop with me everywhere which is cumbersome) every time I wanna use my BTC which is risky.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 07:59:05 AM

Love Coinbase so much. The cool thing about an online wallet is that I have access to my BTC wherever I am in the world without any hassle. If I were to carry my wallet.dat file on a pendrive with me, I would have to install the qt on a public computer (unless I bring my laptop with me everywhere which is cumbersome) every time I wanna use my BTC which is risky.

Cool thing about online wallet is you don't own Bitcoins by definition and that means, the service provider can take it whenever they like. It is like giving keys to your bank to others and tell them to unlock and take money when you want it. I think nobody does this.

Can't you use a paper wallet + mobile wallet or only mobile wallet?

ABS-CBN2

Activity: 51

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:34:55 AM

i reccomend to use blockchain.info wallet.. more safe Smiley
LOBSTER

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:08:19 AM

Actually, online wallets aren't safe as client wallets like Armory, Electrum etc. - there is always to risk that the online wallet is getting hacked.
Star I

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 11:22:58 AM

What are the charges/fee for coin transactions on blockchain.info?
Syoleen

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:44:33 PM

I use CoinJar as online account, which is pretty handy (EftPos card) and fast deposit (POLi and BPay) in Australia. But do not keep too much Bitcoin in online account. So I use breadwallet as private account on my iPhone.
arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 04:16:56 PM

Electrum is the best in my opinion lightweight and the seed recovery is a very useful feature.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 05:15:04 PM

Actually, online wallets aren't safe as client wallets like Armory, Electrum etc. - there is always to risk that the online wallet is getting hacked.

Coinbase is only "online" wallet with insurance for being hacked, and it's very specific it would have to be entire thing hacked not one customers credentials stolen and btc taken.  As general rule use online wallets just for spending money.

I suggest looking into cold storage wallets.  They are most secure if done correctly, and the done correctly is a big part of it.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 06:03:08 PM

Electrum (electrum.org) is very easy to use and works great on my antiquated machine. I have multiple wallets with non-zero balances that I've deleted but can restore anytime using the 12-word seed, which I have encrypted and stored in multiple locations.

See: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum

Despite being a long-time lurker on this forum, I've never read anything suggesting that it is, or is not, a safe enough solution for large balances.

+1 for Electrum. Just wrote a longer reply in another thread in here on a similar topic.

Bottom line is: Electrum is an excellent combination between high security (definitely much better than online wallets), and good usability (avoids downloading the Blockchain).

Except for very large amounts stored, or unless you're also intending to support the network by being a full node, I'd say a lightweight client like Electrum (or similarly, MultiBit) are the ideal choice for most users today.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
98problems

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 10:25:57 PM

for me the best is blockchain.info as i dont hold big amounts of bitcoins and its usually online so i can use it whenever i want

connexus

Activity: 774
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 04:19:52 AM

I use Electrum faster, safer and easy to use without any hassle.
mark coins

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 04:25:46 AM

for me the best is blockchain.info as i dont hold big amounts of bitcoins and its usually online so i can use it whenever i want

if you have backup of your private keys then you will be a problem on your coins being stucked there if they got an issue again, and blockchain.info wallet always have issues, i myself experienced it in the past just in time when i needed to sell some of my coins but i can transfer it coz of blockchain.info is down
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 04:51:19 AM

if you have backup of your private keys then you will be a problem on your coins being stucked there if they got an issue again, and blockchain.info wallet always have issues, i myself experienced it in the past just in time when i needed to sell some of my coins but i can transfer it coz of blockchain.info is down

In advanced I believe you can get the private keys on blockchain.  So there are way's of sending even if online wallet is down.  But keep in mind even if you do paper wallet from it it's a hot wallet.  So it's not as good as security.  But make sure you use 2fa on it that helps some.

Cold storage is what you want for storing any sizable amount.  Paper wallet if done right really is one of best ones out there.  Assuming you have it stored safely.
Nishashah

Activity: 15

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 12:23:00 PM

tx info, is really helpful.
makcik

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 02:30:48 PM

Bitcoin wallets is where you store your bitcoins. Without them, you cannot use bitcoins. But, selecting a secure wallet is important. In fact, most important.. Because, losing bitcoins means burning cash.
Now, according to my usage and researches and what I have found. These are the wallets which i found trusted and useful.
(1) Coinbase- they provide more privacy as they have their own privacy team separately. Best thing is that transactions are completely tax free.
(2) Blockchain- It has got the most number of usets. So no doubt on security. It's trusted most by miners too.
(3) Mycelium wallet- It's git very low transaction fees and provides the best backup system for private keys. You can use multiple wallets at once.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 02:43:15 PM

Bitcoin wallets is where you store your bitcoins. Without them, you cannot use bitcoins. But, selecting a secure wallet is important. In fact, most important.. Because, losing bitcoins means burning cash.
Now, according to my usage and researches and what I have found. These are the wallets which i found trusted and useful.
(1) Coinbase- they provide more privacy as they have their own privacy team separately. Best thing is that transactions are completely tax free.
(2) Blockchain- It has got the most number of usets. So no doubt on security. It's trusted most by miners too.
(3) Mycelium wallet- It's git very low transaction fees and provides the best backup system for private keys. You can use multiple wallets at once.

What are you meaning by tax free?   As far as taxes any wallet should not be charging taxes.

It would be a government doing that info likely from exchange or such.  But there is not link between a BTC address and taxes, you really need a exchange and to sell and have a profit to worry if it's enough to be taxable.
JumperX

Activity: 672
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 02:54:52 PM

1. Do you mean transaction fee free? Tax is different from transaction fee

2. yes blockchain wallet is used by many but the security? I dont think bc wallets is super secured

3. Mycelium requires low trans fee for low priority transaction but it isnt an advantage for it as almost all bitcoin wallets you can set how much fees you want to pay for your transaction
wadii33

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 08:38:15 PM

i use blockchain and coinbase they are always available
hnjvst

Activity: 53

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 08:54:43 PM

I use MultiBit  Cool