Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:42:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bitcoin wallet  (Read 101996 times)
dtuur

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:53:55 PM

Bitaddress.org => make a paper wallet while you are offline (preferably a clean boot from a linux system)

second best may be blockchain.info's my wallet with a yubikey
hopelessinvestor

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:39:16 PM

Is there any reason not to use the basic Bitcoin QT wallet? Has worked for me so far. I don't like the idea of web based wallets, too easy to lose everything if the site gets hacked or goes down.  Smiley

If you use a reasonably complex password, your private keys are safely encrypted in blockchain.info's database so your coins are safe from hackers, and blockchain.info allows you to receive backups of your wallet so you can access your bitcoins if the site goes down.

Yeah, I like how blockchain offers so many features for your bitcoins.
caesarsauce

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 25, 2013, 10:59:22 PM

Definitely +1 for blockchain.info.
adpinbr

Activity: 1050
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 08:30:19 PM

I feel that blockchain.info is most popular but coinbase is prob better. I think we can still do better and am considering developing a new wallet. Do you guys think there is room/need in the market for this?

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 09:15:28 PM

I feel that blockchain.info is most popular but coinbase is prob better.

No.
No, no, no, no.
No.

https://blockchain.info/wallet is a bitcoin wallet.
You maintain control of your private keys, and the provider (blockchain.info) does not have the ability to spend or steal your bitcoins.  If they are hacked, they don't store anything that would provide a hacker with the ability to spend/steal your bitcoins.  Assuming you are wise enough to store a backup of your blockchain.info wallet file, you can still gain access to your own bitcoins even if blockchain.info shuts down and disappears for some reason.  It is software that allows you to receive, secure, and send bitcoins.

coinbase is an online account.
Any bitcoins you store with coinbase are no longer yours.  You have given them to an unregulated and uninsured complete stranger and trusted their promise that they will give them back to you (or forward them on somewhere else) any time you ask them to do so.  You have no access to the private keys at all.  Since coinbase has the private keys, if coinbase is hacked the hacker could steal bitcoins. Since coinbase doesn't allow you access to the private keys, there isn't any way to back up your wallet.  Therefore, if coinbase were to shut down and/or disappear for some reason, it would be impossible for you to ever gain access to your bitcoins again.  It is not a bitcoin wallet, it's an uninsured, unregulated company that offer a savings account that pays you 0% interest.

I think we can still do better and am considering developing a new wallet. Do you guys think there is room/need in the market for this?

Sure, there's definitely room in the market for better open source wallets.  Don't waste your time on a closed source project unless you're just doing it for personal use though.  Hardly anyone is going to trust software with their bitcoins unless the source code can be independently reviewed and compiled.
adpinbr

Activity: 1050
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:01:49 PM

I feel that blockchain.info is most popular but coinbase is prob better.

No.
No, no, no, no.
No.

https://blockchain.info/wallet is a bitcoin wallet.
You maintain control of your private keys, and the provider (blockchain.info) does not have the ability to spend or steal your bitcoins.  If they are hacked, they don't store anything that would provide a hacker with the ability to spend/steal your bitcoins.  Assuming you are wise enough to store a backup of your blockchain.info wallet file, you can still gain access to your own bitcoins even if blockchain.info shuts down and disappears for some reason.  It is software that allows you to receive, secure, and send bitcoins.

coinbase is an online account.
Any bitcoins you store with coinbase are no longer yours.  You have given them to an unregulated and uninsured complete stranger and trusted their promise that they will give them back to you (or forward them on somewhere else) any time you ask them to do so.  You have no access to the private keys at all.  Since coinbase has the private keys, if coinbase is hacked the hacker could steal bitcoins. Since coinbase doesn't allow you access to the private keys, there isn't any way to back up your wallet.  Therefore, if coinbase were to shut down and/or disappear for some reason, it would be impossible for you to ever gain access to your bitcoins again.  It is not a bitcoin wallet, it's an uninsured, unregulated company that offer a savings account that pays you 0% interest.

I think we can still do better and am considering developing a new wallet. Do you guys think there is room/need in the market for this?

Sure, there's definitely room in the market for better open source wallets.  Don't waste your time on a closed source project unless you're just doing it for personal use though.  Hardly anyone is going to trust software with their bitcoins unless the source code can be independently reviewed and compiled.

Thank you for the great answer
I agree open source is the way to go. I rely on blockchain.info rather than an exchange, like coinbase, to take care of my easy access storage needs. But it would take coinbase like 5 minutes to implement the system that blockchain has going. I dont know why they havent yet gone that route.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
AquaticBob

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 11:09:55 AM

There's no such thing as "the best wallet", everyone has their own opinion. I personally use Electrum, because I don't have to spend a long time syncing with the network.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 11:18:52 AM

There's no such thing as "the best wallet", everyone has their own opinion. I personally use Electrum, because I don't have to spend a long time syncing with the network.
Multibit has a similar feature too.

leuckest

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:41:12 AM

I've been using Blockchain for a start and daily transactions. However, for large amounts I think some offline wallet is more secure, like Armory.
blessin

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:03:18 AM

just use android wallet, safe and secure with good features.
Phoen1x

Activity: 15

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:40:59 AM

I would definitely start with Coinbase.  The one downside is that they used to require a full 1 BTC purchase for the first transaction.  This might no longer be the case now that BTC has flirted with $1000 (it wasn't a problem for me when BTC was only ~$100).
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:49:30 AM

@Phoen1x That's the idea about Coinbase furthermore BTC wallet is made in America Grin
hunnaryb

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:56:12 AM

I've been using Blockchain for a start and daily transactions. However, for large amounts I think some offline wallet is more secure, like Armory.

Combination of Blockchain.info as hot wallet and paper wallets for cold storage works best for me. I keeping in Blockchain.info only very small amounts

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

how_hai

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 08:31:06 PM

I just started using Bitcoins and found Blockchain.info's wallet easy to use. You can always check out Bitcoin Armory. Here's a great talk on Bitcoin wallet by people at Bitcoin Armory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdmyIvSTXEw.
cech4204a

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 04:41:18 AM

Just keep away from Armory please and you will be fine. I got data corrupted and i couldn't run it ever again, did fresh copy , did it on other PC, imported PVtKeys and my balance was 0, that night i lost a lot of nerves for nothing, than i got my BTC back by importing PVtKeys at blockchain, than i decided for other wallet since i don't like hot wallets.

Bitcoin is DEAD
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:20:50 AM

Been lurking on here for awhile now, figured I'd make a post.

Looking for the most stable and secure wallet.
I was using my bitfloor account to hold everything, but they just went down for good apparently. Got my money out so that was nice.

Thanks for the help guys.

Using exchanges and gambling sites to store your bitcoin is the worst idea IMO, as you have no control of the private keys.
If you want an easy-to-use wallet, use SPVs such as Electrum.
If you want to have maximum safety, use offline wallets.
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:21:40 AM

I use multibit primarily
Blockchain for small amounts as it is an online wallet
Quite happy with how it has worked out so far

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:22:18 AM

Just keep away from Armory please and you will be fine. I got data corrupted and i couldn't run it ever again, did fresh copy , did it on other PC, imported PVtKeys and my balance was 0, that night i lost a lot of nerves for nothing, than i got my BTC back by importing PVtKeys at blockchain, than i decided for other wallet since i don't like hot wallets.

I didn't use Armory, but from what I heard, you need to have quite a lot of RAM to get it running smoothly...
KimNam

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:10:00 AM

if you have so many BTC, you should run bitcoin-qt for maximum security for your BTC
if you don't want wait all long day just for sync your bitcoin transaction, just use electrum or multibit for light desktop wallet
and if you want simplest way to store your BTC (especially few BTC), you can try online wallet like blockchain.info
NadineWilliams

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:19:26 AM

blockchain.info is secure wallet so far Smiley
very simple to create it

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: