Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:33:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin core is only programmed by satoshi?  (Read 1228 times)
coin revolution (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 11:29:36 PM

Did Satoshi develop the bitcoin system alone? There are now more than one person on the Bitcoin core developer team. Did Satoshi get help or support from someone while developing this system? Did Bitcoin core software write alone?
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2017, 11:44:35 PM

He first published the Bitcoin whitepaper ( https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf ) via the cryptography mailing list, back in 2008.
Then he released the first version of the Bitcoin client himself (2009) and after that other people started joining in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I've got the gist of it.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 11:46:58 PM

Legend is that Satoshi worked on the puzzle alone.
Then later, Satoshi contacted others for input that contributed to the whitepaper (Wai and others).
After the whitepaper was released, one other individual came along to help Satoshi build the software (Sirius).
After the foundation was established around mid 2010, many others appeared to help contribute (Gavin and others).

Bitcoin Core is the most recent version of the software, starting around 2013.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 11:52:39 PM

Then later, Satoshi contacted others for input that contributed to the whitepaper (Wai and others).
After the whitepaper was released, one other individual came along to help Satoshi build the software (Sirius).
After the foundation was established around mid 2010, many others appeared to help contribute (Gavin and others).

That's quite interesting that there was something used before Bitcoin Core. Do we know the name of that software or have archives of it anywhere?

Also, I don't think satoshi is contributing on the core anymore.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:01:32 AM

That's quite interesting that there was something used before Bitcoin Core. Do we know the name of that software or have archives of it anywhere?

Satoshi never contributed to Core (that we are aware of).
1st Client: Bitcoin-Satoshi
2nd Client: Bitcoin QT
3rd Client: Bitcoin Core

Satoshi may not have contributed to QT either.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:14:06 AM

Afaik we cannot still confirm if satoshi is a single person or an entity for a group of person. So we cannot categorically answer your questions. But I think to create a software this complex, you will need some help either on coding, math, or implementation.
CryptoDatabase
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1003

https://cryptodatabase.net

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2017, 12:16:41 AM

More than likely Satoshi obtained the source code for E-Cash and then 'created' Bitcoin.

Bitcoin was not the first cryptocurrency as so many falsely believe so the odds of him writing this program all by himself is slim.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:23:18 AM

That is quite accurate enough. I support this version, so bitcoin core was create by satoshi, but very primitive version of it. Like alpha version.
True development beign done by many talented programmers (bitcoin code is really complicated).
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:26:59 AM

Afaik we cannot still confirm if satoshi is a single person or an entity for a group of person. So we cannot categorically answer your questions. But I think to create a software this complex, you will need some help either on coding, math, or implementation.

The current belief is that satoshi nakamoto is a university researcher Dr Craig Wright. This means that he would have recieved help from fellow professors and could always have done it without them noticing if he needed to

What were the release dates of these (if they are accessible)?
As this was released as open-source software, it is uncertain who has control of it and at what point due to quite a few developers working on this software in total over the time of bitcoin's lifetime.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:17:48 AM

The current belief is that satoshi nakamoto is a university researcher Dr Craig Wright. This means that he would have recieved help from fellow professors and could always have done it without them noticing if he needed to

Craig Wright is not Satoshi Nakamoto.

What were the release dates of these (if they are accessible)?
As this was released as open-source software, it is uncertain who has control of it and at what point due to quite a few developers working on this software in total over the time of bitcoin's lifetime.

The following should help answer some questions:
https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history

arcanaaerobics

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:25:37 AM

More than likely Satoshi obtained the source code for E-Cash and then 'created' Bitcoin.

Bitcoin was not the first cryptocurrency as so many falsely believe so the odds of him writing this program all by himself is slim.
It was not the first cryptocurrency but it certainly was and still is the most successful one while all it's predecessors have failed.
All the ones after it's creation should dedicate themselves to bitcoin for their own success.
CryptoDatabase
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1003

https://cryptodatabase.net

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2017, 01:35:35 AM

It was not the first cryptocurrency but it certainly was and still is the most successful one while all it's predecessors have failed.
All the ones after it's creation should dedicate themselves to bitcoin for their own success.

BTC is getting more and more centralized. Only the rich can afford to mine it effectively and before long only those with massive storage capabilities will be able to hold a copy of its blockchain as its already 100GB+ in size.

I predict that within the next 10 years there will only be a very small portion of people still using BTC Core as most will be using web wallets or electrum to hold their coins.

The last thing coins need to do is model themselves after BTC.
Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 02:09:39 AM

Did Satoshi develop the bitcoin system alone? There are now more than one person on the Bitcoin core developer team. Did Satoshi get help or support from someone while developing this system? Did Bitcoin core software write alone?

We don't know if Satoshi worked on the first release of the Bitcoin software and white paper alone. We do know he was inspired by other similar ideas to Bitcoin, like Dr. Adam Back's hashcash. Shortly after releasing the white paper and software other developers began to help. Gavin Andresen was the first really significant contributor to work alongside Satoshi. After Satoshi left the scene Gavin essentially took over a technical leadership role, which Satoshi had already asked him to do more of. Eventually Gavin stepped back from full-time development and Core, which was based on the earliest software releases, became the most dominant full-node software.
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2017, 03:14:57 AM

For bitcoin to advance there should be continous development,so far bitcoin have achieved this goal because of the many people coming in to contribute to it's evolvement,I think Bitcoin is still in good hands,with so many people coming in and many organization adopting Bitcoin.

Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 03:18:11 AM

I believe that Satoshi is not a single individual but a group of individuals. The reason they hide their identity at first is they are in fear of what will be the outcome of their project and what will be the reaction of the government and state upon facing their currency. They are afraid to get into jail for creating this kind of currency. But until now they did not expose themselves for unknown reasons even though bitcoin is being accepted by people. Though there are others who join the fray but the original group of bitcoin core developers are still hiding.
coin revolution (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 11:22:02 AM

So Satoshi did not code. The existing pieces wisely joined together. Satoshi said what he had to do and put out the idea. Later, programmers adopting this idea undertook the task of coding. Is it correct?

Is it possible for a single person to combine all the pieces? Does not the Bitcoin system require expertise in different areas?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:44:11 PM

Then later, Satoshi contacted others for input that contributed to the whitepaper (Wai and others)

Don't think so. Satoshi cited prior work that he used, but I'm not aware there was direct contact/input from those people.

So Satoshi did not code. The existing pieces wisely joined together. Satoshi said what he had to do and put out the idea. Later, programmers adopting this idea undertook the task of coding. Is it correct?

Not what I remember about this. The code for the original Bitcoin 0.1 prototype was structured in a way that made certain modifications to the code more difficult, and this has always been attributed to Satoshi's programming inexperience. Satoshi got coding help for version 0.2, but not for the 0.1 original AFAIK

Vires in numeris
requester

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:14:59 PM

may be the logic and algorithm behind the core bitcoin is developed by satoshi because ideas and logics are generally invented by a single person and might be later on discussed with his fellow mates and further developed the system. and writing of the program is not a very big task as algorithm only matter more for programmers.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:32:53 PM

Then later, Satoshi contacted others for input that contributed to the whitepaper (Wai and others).*
After the whitepaper was released, one other individual came along to help Satoshi build the software (Sirius).**

The following should help answer some questions:
https://bitcoin.org/en/version-history

^ this is the most factually accurate.
just to add a few clarifications
*satoshi did inform his 'references' that he was developing something that used parts of their concepts, though they did not really get back to him.

**by February 2009 there were a handfull of devs helping out. (hal finney was there within the first week of bitcoins public release in January)
by the end of 2009 there were over a dozen+

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 02:01:01 PM

In my opinion, Bitcoin is the first decentralized digital currency, and it is a kind of payment in different aspects of business. According to the bitcoin experts here bitcoin also was invented by the group of programmers under the name of Satoshi Nakamoto. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: