Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:14:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU question MSI Twin Frozen III Video Cards  (Read 490 times)
Brandongotcoins (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:17:37 AM

I know gpu mining isn't profitable anymore but for now lets not worry about that. I got a guy from craigslist that is selling 3 Twin Frozen III Video Cards for 30 dollars a piece. And I was wondering what is a comparable graphics card that I could look at to see how well I would do with three of these. I am interested in all mining aspects so I t wouldnt have to just be bitcoin I am looking into Zcoin and some of the other coins supported with minergate. I know Nicehash has a collection of data that if I knew what GPU this thing benchmarks close to I could look and see how that one does a day. Anyone know anything about these they are very old. Should I stay away from them? I want to build a really REALLY cheap mining rig mostly for fun but I would like to see if I couldnt pocket alittle change. Are these things too old to make even a little? I have a GTX 1080 that makes me almost 1.50 to 2.00 a day which I am really happy about.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:19:47 AM

Doesn't sound like this is a subject for the Bitcoin section of bitcointalk; try moving this to mining (altcoins). You also did not specify what twin frozr card it is nor did you specify your electrical cost, we really can't say anything at this point. The GTX 1080 is horrible for mining compared to amd cards and if that card breaks you'll lose a whole lot of bank. Don't mine with nvidia cards.
Brandongotcoins (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 12:35:58 AM

Are you stupid? It says MSI in the title and this is the mining thread and if you are going to be a twat I am going to call you out because this is the mining thread and asking if it mines decently at all in general for different types of coins logically it would do well in most facets of coin including bitcoin. Answer the question or bug off, you are just being a twat at this point you no lifer besides correct me if I am wrong this is the mining thread...

PS I didnt ask you if you recommend mining with 1080 you autist I asked you what card the MSI Twin Frozr 3 compares well with so I can get a reference to how it will mine for different difficulties. If you would have told me that I would be at Nicehash right now looking it up instead of schooling you on how to actually help someone with a question while you dance around a question and point out everything except for the actual answer tot he question..
meeow

Activity: 72
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:00:46 AM

There is no need to accuse others of being stupid--even if they are actually being stupid, you have nothing to gain.

FYI, MSI twin frozr iii is a type of gpu cooler that is found on 6950s, 7950s, 580s, 570s and 660s.

Of those, only the 7950 is worth using to mine.
Brandongotcoins (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:09:29 AM

They are the 6950s, Do you think if I got them for 30 bucks each that would be a good enough deal to fool around with them? Should I try to talk him down a little more or should I scrap the whole idea. Honestly I don't want to spend a lot on a gpu rig but would like it to atleast eventually be able to mine me something I can atleast look at and think its cool. I have no clue what I'd be getting Honestly If I could make a dollar from all three a day I'd be happy I just want to be as cheap as possible because in a way that makes this project fun. I was also looking at the XFX 6770 which i know would be shit but the guy will sell two for 20 bucks. Any thoughts?
grimzim

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:20:29 AM

6950s are too old.  Those are pre-GCN cards so nobody is writing software for them anymore since they're too slow to justify the power they'd be using.  If I were you I'd pass on them even if they were free.
meeow

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:23:18 AM

They are the 6950s, Do you think if I got them for 30 bucks each that would be a good enough deal to fool around with them? Should I try to talk him down a little more or should I scrap the whole idea. Honestly I don't want to spend a lot on a gpu rig but would like it to atleast eventually be able to mine me something I can atleast look at and think its cool. I have no clue what I'd be getting Honestly If I could make a dollar from all three a day I'd be happy I just want to be as cheap as possible because in a way that makes this project fun. I was also looking at the XFX 6770 which i know would be shit but the guy will sell two for 20 bucks. Any thoughts?

Would recommend buying something newer, I believe you could mine monero with 6950s but if you don't have free electricity, you'd probably be losing money.
Brandongotcoins (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 01:49:50 AM

Okay I will take your guys' advice. I am still out to make a cheap gpu miner but I will be patient for some good deals. Any of you guys out there done anything like this in terms of low budget mining?
meeow

View Profile
February 18, 2017, 05:11:43 AM

I'm currently running 2 4x7950 rigs built with used parts.
Any brand 7950/7970/R9 280/280x - $70 each = $280
Name brand >=850w 80+ gold PSU (new) - $80
Cheapest 80GB SATA HDD - $7
Cheapest 4GB DDR3 - $10
Gigabyte ATX 970/990 board - $50
PCI-E riser - $6
Cheapest Phenom II CPU $11
Arctic Alpine 64 GT $8

ZEC: >1000 sol/s
Cards are slightly undervolted, pulling 860w AC = ~790w DC

I currently have free power, viability of this build depends on your power cost. I also have another build which is the same, except with undervolted/underclocked 290s doing 1300+ sol/s at 930W AC = ~850W DC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: