Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:43:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Colbert Report - segment on Bitcoin 4/17/2013  (Read 2718 times)
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:06:52 PM

I consider this segment extremely positive news. The content and opinions of the commentators are irrelevant. They just spent 5 minutes talking about Bitcoin on one of the most watched TV shows in the US. Intelligent people will be asking themselves questions and Googling Bitcoin. The rest? Who cares! They'll follow in time like late adopters always do...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:33:41 PM

That was extremely enjoyable. I'm a Colbert fan although I haven't watched recently.

That was actually not as bad as it could have been given the complexity of Bitcoin. The biggest problem I have is with the guest saying not to buy them at all because you don't know what the value will be the next second. That's actually a good point, but it's not complete. First, bitcoins value will probably stabilize greatly as its market cap grows. Second, you don't need to hold bitcoins long term to use them effectively.

I consider this segment extremely positive news. The content and opinions of the commentators are irrelevant. They just spent 5 minutes talking about Bitcoin on one of the most watched TV shows in the US. Intelligent people will be asking themselves questions and Googling Bitcoin. The rest? Who cares! They'll follow in time like late adopters always do...

+1 exactly.
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 05:44:33 PM

Grin

BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 05:47:01 PM

Grin

Nice... a little free advertisement on one of Comedy Central's most viewed shows.

Dr.Steve

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:54:40 PM

here's what the public gets

blah blah blah blah bitcoin blah blah blah bitcoin.

bitcoin enters consciousness.  blah blah blah is forgotten
Dr.Steve

Activity: 54

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:29:53 AM

Hey! I resemble that remark! Angry
 Wink
agreed, not intentional Wink ofcourse
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:29:27 AM

Both QFT.

Colbert brought Adam on for a reason, he knew that Adam would be dismissive and he also knows that Adam is paid to speak at Bankster conferences by JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, BoA and the like.

Colbert is obviously somewhat pro-bitcoin but didn't want to appear to fanboyish/pushing a bubble by having a totally pro-bitcoin guy on. Plus, that wouldn't be anywhere near as funny or entertaining - it would be informative, and people don't watch the Colbert Report to get preached at about sound money, they watch it to be entertained. Go Colbert for throwing in some Bitcoin coverage - in fact I think having a negative guest is better than a positive. A positive guest might be more likely to have people reject it automatically "too good to be true, must be ponzi" whereas a negative guest will have people think a little bit...
ramus313

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:01:39 AM

We all knew that they would be criticized, I mean its a satiric show, however any type of attention is good attention. I am not too familiar with the Colbert fan base, but hopefully it will convince people to do research of their own.
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:33:09 AM

this seemed clearly positive.  The guest came in with an agenda to trash it and Colbert derailed and interrupted every time the dude got started.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:48:46 AM

this seemed clearly positive.  The guest came in with an agenda to trash it and Colbert derailed and interrupted every time the dude got started.
I agree, it was entertaining and surprisingly positive. 

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:50:58 AM

Seemed like a good balanced report, although the guest was a bit overly adamant that you should never buy bitcoins. They should have made some mention of the fact that you could avoid the exchange rate issue by buying them only right when you want to send them, but I guess that would have been a bit complicated to explain.

Overall a nice introduction to bitcoins for a lot of people who never heard of them before.

While I was watching it, my daughter (age 6) comes up behind me and says "Why is he talking about bitcoins? I don't think they are real. You just made them up." Hmm, I guess I need to explain these things better to her...

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 03:02:36 AM

Seemed like a good balanced report, although the guest was a bit overly adamant that you should never buy bitcoins. They should have made some mention of the fact that you could avoid the exchange rate issue by buying them only right when you want to send them, but I guess that would have been a bit complicated to explain.

Overall a nice introduction to bitcoins for a lot of people who never heard of them before.

While I was watching it, my daughter (age 6) comes up behind me and says "Why is he talking about bitcoins? I don't think they are real. You just made them up." Hmm, I guess I need to explain these things better to her...
I gave my 6 year old daughter a few physical Bitcoins.  She loves them and keeps them in her little jewelry box.  When I gave them to her they were about $5 a coin.  When I told her at the top they were about $200 each her little eyes just lit up!  She understood just fine.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:22:04 AM

This is GREAT. You can't buy advisement like this!

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 07:33:56 AM

We all knew that they would be criticized, I mean its a satiric show, however any type of attention is good attention. I am not too familiar with the Colbert fan base, but hopefully it will convince people to do research of their own.

I think it's mixed. Other side thinks he is real thing and other one gets the satire...

I think the not too positive way of advertising it is the right way. Get's people interested, but don't create new craze...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
prespendwindfall

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:25:03 AM

All publicity is good publicity.

People underestimate the fact that any business that accepts bitcoin has a chance to get on the international news.  That sort of advertising is priceless.  Look at all those Mom and Pop pizza shops who sold an item for thousands of bitcoins back in the day, which would be a million bucks.  That's a great story.  The price fluctuations are just one more aspect of how remarkable it is.  Some people became millionaires and others will become millionaires.  It inspires hope and fear.  It's a movement where there is energy and some people are gonna get hurt and others are being left behind.  It has all the hallmarks of a great story that can end with success or catastrophe.

I also find that people fail to explain that it is a great way to transfer money from one person to another without having to pay all the western union fees or having to worry what country someone is in.  Buy bitcoin at one price, send it to a friend, he cashes it out at practically the same price and no one loses any money.  You save money.

NPR is so boring and terrible too with its begging donation drives.  It is just an extension of the government.  It's so lame.  The NPR guy really tried hard to put a negative spin on bitcoin, but any young contrarian would just dismiss him and check it out for themselves.  Those NPR people are part of the old school.  They didn't keep us out of the wars or protect us from the banksters.

I'm just glad anytime bitcoin is covered in the media, because it leads to questions about the fed and monetary systems and pro active solutions to our problems.  Wait a goin Colbert!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: