Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:36:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU cooler fan replacement  (Read 833 times)
JuanHungLo (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1001

I don't always drink...

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 01:09:39 AM

GPU cooler fan replacement

I'm getting tired of replacing fans on GPUs.  So, I am hoping to get some links to some products that any AMD GPU alt. cryptocurrency miners have bought to replace their GPU coolers.

I have thought of a few ways to do this:

1. a.  Use an external manual fan control,
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-3-Pin-Cooling-Controller-Support/dp/B01A45R3JG/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483891081&sr=1-14&keywords=12+DC+fan+voltage+controller#Ask

b.  Remove the cooler and use cable ties to attach a replacement fan blowing into the GPU,
https://www.amazon.com/Swellder-FFB0912VHE-92mmx38mm-Cooling-Brushless/dp/B00XDXNCHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483891783&sr=1-1&keywords=DC+Fan+92mm+x+92mm+x+38mm+12V+3+pin

2.  Use the same fans but attach them to the motherboard, I use Asrock, to the chassis and power fan connections, and use Asrock's AXTU to control the fans.

So, let's hear it.  Who's already done this and what did you use?

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
felixbrucker

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 01:26:34 AM

interested as well, especially the zip tied version

i have seen something like that on a picture once in a large farm, also some other people did it already: https://imgur.com/a/w49Lm#6d98UfA

seems to be the cheapest way
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 01:28:11 AM

Personally, I remove the shroud leaving only the heatsink on the GPU. Than I slap a nice powerful 120mm PWM Delta (or equivalent) onto it (making sure it covers the VRMs) and then I solder the 4 fan wires to the back of the GPU's fan header. That allows the fan to be powered and controlled by the GPU its self, no headaches. GPUs run extremely cool, and you'll never have to worry about fan failures again. Also allows you to keep the original fans nice and fresh for resale.

If you're not big into soldering, I'm sure adapters exist that would allow plugging directly into the GPU's header.

I think I have pics of the process somewhere. I'll post them later if I find them.
JuanHungLo (OP)

I don't always drink...

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 02:20:02 AM

Personally, I remove the shroud leaving only the heatsink on the GPU. Than I slap a nice powerful 120mm PWM Delta (or equivalent) onto it (making sure it covers the VRMs) and then I solder the 4 fan wires to the back of the GPU's fan header. That allows the fan to be powered and controlled by the GPU its self, no headaches. GPUs run extremely cool, and you'll never have to worry about fan failures again. Also allows you to keep the original fans nice and fresh for resale.

If you're not big into soldering, I'm sure adapters exist that would allow plugging directly into the GPU's header.

I think I have pics of the process somewhere. I'll post them later if I find them.

So the GPU can handle the extra amperage of the replacement fan?

Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. - John Templeton
JuanHungLo (OP)

I don't always drink...

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 02:29:37 AM

Is this the adaptor?

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-CA-PWM-02-Adapter-Sleeved-Cooler/dp/B005ZKZEQA

Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 04:14:16 AM

Is this the adaptor?

https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-CA-PWM-02-Adapter-Sleeved-Cooler/dp/B005ZKZEQA

Yep, that'll do that trick. Expensive though.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 04:24:58 AM

You can fix almost all dead or dying GPU fans.

What type of GPU do you have?

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
felixbrucker

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 08:27:51 AM

Interested in this, mine are tri-x fans (firstD)
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 08:33:03 AM

Those are easy. Take some floss and loop it around the fins and pop off the blades.

Put some 3-in-1 oil mixed with grease on the bearing and put it back in.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
felixbrucker

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 08:44:30 AM

Those are easy. Take some floss and loop it around the fins and pop off the blades.

thanks, i have ordered some 3in1 oil, well let you know how it worked out in the next days
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 09:56:56 AM

thanks, i have ordered some 3in1 oil, well let you know how it worked out in the next days

You dont have to use that oil, you can use miner oil, motor oil, vegatable oil, pretty much anything.

If you use something too thin, you will have to re oil it every few weeks / months
If you use something too thick, the fans will have a hard time spinning when cold, once the GPU warms up they should run however.

Either way, its easier to re-lube the current fans then hook up case fans because those require extra wirings.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
felixbrucker

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 10:00:01 AM

You dont have to use that oil, you can use miner oil, motor oil, vegatable oil, pretty much anything.

If you use something too thin, you will have to re oil it every few weeks / months
If you use something too thick, the fans will have a hard time spinning when cold, once the GPU warms up they should run however.

Either way, its easier to re-lube the current fans then hook up case fans because those require extra wirings.
haha, im only a student with a small flat, dont have any oil (besides olive oil for cooking) Cheesy
felixbrucker

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2017, 10:41:10 PM

the oil arrived today, worked very well, brought multiple fans back to life, spinning like new

cheap and easy, can recommend

thanks for the suggestion!
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 02:08:56 AM

if you know how seal after you applied the oil without leaks...the fan can go on and on and on

my fans with oil sealed inside them are still running and will be almost a year in 3 months..and they are still fine as of now.

i'm using a car aircon compressor oil..very good quality. a bit expensive for an oil but it was just an excess from the car AC repairs, so it is okay..

here's how i seal..
I've already got my swamp cooler in the house, just not hooked up.

Unfortunately, I'll have to shut down SOMETHING to power it when I need it.

On a side note - I had quite a few of my DNet machines (the Distributed net client isn't mining as such, but puts very similar loads on a system for the same reasons) last ballpark 20 years before I finally retired most of the oldest ones when I moved this summer. The primary issue I ever had with those was FANS dying (and often causing overheat-related other dead parts), followed by motherboards dying.

you are really at the edge of your max safe power there..swamp cooler power consumption is only limited to the pump and the fans, well for my mining room i think the fan that blow air to the cards and and the exhaust fan is enough to move air around my mining room..

pumps that is 1/2 hp might be an overkill already to what i'm designing, and 1/2 hp is just ~ 400 watts. (240v here)

you might want to try my solution to my fans, this material can seal (with or without cover) where you pour the lubricant oil. my fans lasted more than half the summer here and still running 24/7

this is better compared to (3m double tape-the gray one, silicon sealant, other tapes) in sealing and work-ability of the material, purchased from an aircon/refrigeration shop. don't know the name of this, i just said the black sticky stuff..i just seen this being used by a technician for sealing holes where tubes had passes thru..these are very good at staying put and handling heat. in any case it is better to wash clean with alcohol the areas from oil and maybe a little bit of roughening the surface with a sand paper before sticking this material.

tip: use masking tape or re use the fan sticker and cover this black-sticky stuff after the work is done.

and i use this oil..

http://www.ariazone.com/product_oil_aa1.php

it is a bit expensive but this is just leftover so i'm saved from buying, there are other cheaper compressor oils out there and i believe they are better than standard motor oil.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: