Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:09:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meshnets with weather balloons?  (Read 1300 times)
herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 01:54:19 PM

I guess most of us want a world free of corporate ISPs and mobile phone companies.

To build resilient and censorship-resistant network, "hackers" have been planning to shoot up satellites into the orbit for a while:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16367042

But maybe nodes can be also be placed into stratosphere in weather balloons, a couple of miles apart from each other, to build a resistant and effective meshnet. Would that be more feasible? Thoughts?

I mean what to do with all the new found wealth through Bitcoin anyway.  Smiley

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 02:08:17 PM

Damnit they stole my ide-! I mean great job! Nice to see someone making a difference out there! *does shifty eyes and sneaks off*
Ekaros

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:20:28 PM

I think routing will be very hard. And effective speeds aren't really that great.

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 02:51:52 PM

I think routing will be very hard.
No harder than regular IP routing.

And effective speeds aren't really that great.
Speed comes with better technology, which will come with time.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:59:48 PM

I doubt it will be constant setup. Ad-hoc networks have fairly large overhead. And I don't think there is any real backbones in meshnets...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 03:08:07 PM

I doubt it will be constant setup. Ad-hoc networks have fairly large overhead. And I don't think there is any real backbones in meshnets...
Well, no, there's no backbone. That's kinda the point.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:12:16 PM

An ISP owned by the public would be phenomenal against SOPA & CISPA rising from the dead over and over again.  As long as it worked at all, I'd be cool with it being a tad slow.  It may not be great for gaming, but at least no single person can be cut off from the rest.

If I can ensure my privacy then I'm all in on making this happen.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 03:15:40 PM

I knew I'd find something on this, this looks very interesting: http://www.shareable.net/blog/afghans-build-open-source-internet-from-trash-0
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:26:31 PM

Only problem might be longevity and stationarity of weather baloons. After few days or weeks the equipment will come down crashing to earth.

The wireless links are not hard to build. Either ordinary wireless devices with custom made antennas or professional grade radio links. The problem is getting reliable and neutral connection to remaining internet.

I think reliable and uncensored satellite service is best solution. Will not work for gaming but might be good for everything else.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Snowfire

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:09:12 PM

A better bet is to embed node clients into common devices: cell phones, tablets, laptops, cable boxes, televisions, vending machines, refrigerators, automobiles, and so forth. At some point implementation would be feasible.

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 08:26:49 PM

A better bet is to embed node clients into common devices: cell phones, tablets, laptops, cable boxes, televisions, vending machines, refrigerators, automobiles, and so forth. At some point implementation would be feasible.

WiFi routers. I can "see" 8 from where I sit. It would take a very minor software tweak to turn them into a mesh for the entire city.

Schleicher

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:58:53 PM

WiFi routers. I can "see" 8 from where I sit. It would take a very minor software tweak to turn them into a mesh for the entire city.
Yeah. Some people in Berlin (Germany) and elsewhere are trying this.
http://start.freifunk.net/

nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 09:40:58 PM

Set it up and wait for the drones incoming...

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 06:04:55 PM

I agree. But sometimes the tweak is hard to do. Not all routers support DD-WRT or OpenWRT. Some of them support only basic versions due to very limited flash space. The antennas and channels must be tweaked too for better connectivity.

The problem with government action and internet killswitch is the common frequency used bu WiFi routers and possibility to ban and jam that frequency.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
myrkul

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 06:25:40 PM

I agree. But sometimes the tweak is hard to do. Not all routers support DD-WRT or OpenWRT. Some of them support only basic versions due to very limited flash space. The antennas and channels must be tweaked too for better connectivity.

The problem with government action and internet killswitch is the common frequency used bu WiFi routers and possibility to ban and jam that frequency.
If they're going to do that, then they'd be better off just doing that, since killing the actual internet would fuck u so many things they need....

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 11:10:57 PM

As someone who has worked with mesh technology...  You can not do what you are interested in doing legally or cheaply with existing technology.  I have assembled small mesh networks in city environments and you either need a really good density or just one shutdown will break the system.  Almost none of the gear works anywhere near as well as manufactures say it does. 

In cities nothing really works consistently on 2.4 ghz as there is too much interference and the distance is too short.  You might be able to use 900mhz or 3.6ghz but it would probably be in violation of rules to get the signal power needed to make it work in anything but a local level. 

What can work?  Neighborhood wide meshes as long as someone takes an active role in financing and keeping it up.  They need to provide gear to people and make sure it is well located and stays on.  If nobody keeps it up, it will not be reliable and people will turn it off because of that.   

Everything I wrote is from a USA point of view.  If you are in an area without a regulating government and can turn up the power, or go to the non us top channels (wifi 12-14), and have a low level of existing wifi users you might get some cool things to happen. 

herzmeister (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 07:34:10 AM

google is listening  Angry

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/05/report-google-considering-internet-balloons-to-connect-sub-saharan-africa/

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 08:08:37 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2013, 11:46:33 PM by Elwar

I worked on military "mesh networks", otherwise known as ad-hoc wireless networks. We were working with stationary blimps to help with line of site issues in mountainous regions (in conjunction with UAVs). I only worked on simulations though. If you go to the border of Mexico (Fort Huachuca) and also out here in the Middle East you will see blimps up in the air...I am not sure if they are just for recon or if they also have routers in them.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:48:56 PM

As someone who has worked with mesh technology...  You can not do what you are interested in doing legally or cheaply with existing technology.  I have assembled small mesh networks in city environments and you either need a really good density or just one shutdown will break the system.  Almost none of the gear works anywhere near as well as manufactures say it does. 

There is a lot of really bad router firmware out there.  Even OpenWRT leaves a lot to be desired.  But the concept is sound, and wi-fi can be extremely resilient when built correctly.  You can't just buy something off-the-shelf and trust the manufacturers' claims without thorough testing, though.

There's no way to ban 2.4 ghz, since it's used by microwave ovens.  Even jamming it is somewhat difficult.

The problem is getting reliable and neutral connection to remaining internet.

Yes.  Did you see the thread on cjdns/Hyperboria?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: