Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:57:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please, Win10 audio stops  (Read 773 times)
Mike8 (OP)

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 09:50:40 AM

Hi,

I hope that somebody had this issue and fixed it, or at least can give me some clues what to check and what to do.

Since I have Win 10, my PC hates me Smiley. It was a clean install of Win 10 and on Win 7 and Win 8 I didn't have this issue.
The issue is that randomly my audio stops. It seems to happen especially if the computer was running for more days without shutdown, but it's not always a rule.
Windows audio stops / freezes and the only thing I've found out to help is to restart the service. Just when that starts to happen every 10-20 minutes it's really frustrating.

Can anybody help or at least give some ideas what to do?
Villy_wongaa

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 09:57:33 AM

For Windows 10 you need to have a computer larger than the previous version. Perhaps this is due to a mismatch of settings of your computer. Check the RAM and power supply. But there may be other reasons.
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 10:08:23 AM

Return to windows 8, had similar problem and went back and still I'm on win 8. No need for any upgrades, Unless you have 16 GB ram and I7 processor. This king of machine have in office and it was first that has no issues dont know why is this also we have one with i5 and 8 gb that work super on win 10 rest were downgraded to win 8. Dunno for what you are using it if it is gaming then best is to stay on win 8, win 10 have issues with cracked games with sound and graphic.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Mike8 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 10:11:59 AM

I use it for office applications (kinda work), it is i7 and although the RAM is not great (only 6GB), I have a laptop with Win10 on 4GB and Core2 where it works perfect.
I feel like there's some conflict or app that may need reinstall.
adidas

Activity: 448

Americans do it better

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 10:13:21 AM

Write Device Manager in the search box and update the audio driver. If this doesn't work make sure you know what audio card you have for example Realtek and download the latest driver for it from the official website. A tool like driver identifier may help you resolve your problem but unfortunately is not free.

LuckyMan2017

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 10:23:14 AM

Windows 10 has some issues, still! But there is always some solution.
Check if your computer works on virtual memory (control-alt-delete), or if your processor works on maximum.
Also if temperature of the system raises over max, you can check that in bios.

If your computer works on virtual memory then you have performance issue what stops your songs (of other applications in background cause that), same is with processor on maximum, that can slow down computer if you have too many applications in background.

Constant max working of memory or processor can also cause crashing or maybe system can overheat with weak power supply. If you have enough memory, strong processor, and your system temperature is just fine, then could be issue with application. Just update windows or program which you use.

You have also Microsoft support in case that you cant solve this.
Mike8 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 03:20:56 PM

Thank you, I looked for what you said and only 50% of RAM is in use. I did tests with CPU on nearly 100% or under 5% and the result was the same - the sound stopped at some point, usually earlier than 30 min.
CPU temperature is 80C if not used and 94C on heavy use (as reported by Open Hardware Monitor).

The idea is that sometimes a reboot makes the problem disappear even for more than a day, but not today though...
...So frustrating...
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 03:32:01 PM

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Event+viewer+windows+10

Look in warning and error category for notes.

Did you install drivers for audio ?
Did you install any software related audio stuff ?

What soundcard / chip is it ?

Google device manager and see if there are any flags.

I would make sure you have the correct drivers installed.
If they were from MS maybe try using some from the manufacturer.
You were also vague big time.. you didn't say what it is you were doing.
What was the audio coming from and what else might you have been doing when it happened ?

I get graphics fuck up's far more often than i do audio myself on Windows 7.
I use the LAV codec package for EVERY type of audio and video there is.
Then i installed Icaros for thumb nailing and disabled Windows Media Foundation 100% with Win7DSFilterTweaker.
That gives me far more codec support and far more advanced codec support than MS bullshit.
And it's configurable unlike MS crap too.

Then i also downloaded a package i found that is "Dolby Home Theater" which works on most Realtek Audio chipsets.. which gives me a variety of audio post processing stuff that is really cool.

SO.. i killed off all the MS crap for audio basically and used 3rd party stuff instead.. and it's awesome !

LAV codec package = http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191
Tweaker = http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm
Thumbnail support = http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/icaros.html

All are free with no catches  Grin

FUD first & ask questions later™
Mike8 (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:31:20 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2017, 09:20:48 AM by Mike8

You were also vague big time.. you didn't say what it is you were doing.

Well, I did nothing special. Office work and listen to music from youtube.

What soundcard / chip is it ?
[...]
I would make sure you have the correct drivers installed.
If they were from MS maybe try using some from the manufacturer.

This opened my mind, thank you.
Of course, I had Microsoft drivers all over.
So I checked everything, somehow it came into my mind that long time ago, on Win7, this computer had Realtek Audio Manager too...
After a lot of research and countless restarts, now I have original mobo, audio and video drivers. Just some are old, I fear that next Windows Update will rewrite them.

Since after restart my audio problem used to reoccur sometimes in the next hours, sometimes after some days, I don't know yet if it is fixed or not.
With every minute passing I am more confident it's going to be OK now.

Thank you.

(edit) Unfortunately I just experienced the first stop again.

Edit: I also installed LAV codecs and the tweaker.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 11:10:47 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2017, 06:34:58 AM by Spoetnik

First thing i said was check your event viewer.. there may be a clear answer there for you.

So it happens in your browser only ? All browsers ?

And that tweaker won't do anything unless you click on the options.
It has no installer to so there is no way to install or uninstall it.
So i am not sure how you "uninstalled" it.

My point was that i do things different and not so much that you should.
If you are not an advanced user doing advanced stuff may not be a good idea.

If you DO in fact have a Realtek audio chipset (integrated on motherboard)
You might have better luck using the driver from Realtek's web site and not the default Microsoft one
Why that might be helpful is if your audio setup is screwed up the process of changing drivers might help.
It would basically reset how it is.
So it 's not so much a 1 don't work and the other does thing.

I am curious how many tabs you might have open all with an audio feed on them too.
Most of the time i have Firefox running and i try not to open to many tabs especially at places like Youtube etc.
Anyway it could be lots of things.. check that event viewer and go from there.
Poke around to see if there is any messages related to audio or maybe your browser etc.
That is why the event viewer is there.

To get help you should post more info too.
What soundcard or sound chip do you have ?
What type of audio setup is it ?
Digital / Analog HDMI ?

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2017, 12:17:13 AM

Type "Contact Support" into the search box. In just a few quick clicks you can be connected by chat or phone to Microsoft Answer Desk.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
TooQik

Activity: 337
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 03:15:52 AM

Thank you, I looked for what you said and only 50% of RAM is in use. I did tests with CPU on nearly 100% or under 5% and the result was the same - the sound stopped at some point, usually earlier than 30 min.
CPU temperature is 80C if not used and 94C on heavy use (as reported by Open Hardware Monitor).

The idea is that sometimes a reboot makes the problem disappear even for more than a day, but not today though...
...So frustrating...

Um, those CPU temperature figures are a bit of a concern to me. If your CPU is really running at 80 degrees Celsius at idle and 94 degrees Celsius at load I would suggest you have a cooling issue which is probably affecting not only your CPU but the motherboard and potentially your audio chip.

I'd be double checking that your CPU fan is working properly, along with any case fans you have. If you built the PC yourself and are familiar with the assembly and disassembly of PCs, I would also be double checking the thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink; if it's an old CPU it's probably worth cleaning off the old thermal paste and reapplying new paste.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 06:48:14 AM

Ya those CPU temp numbers are suspiciously high possibly.
I made an OSD sensor panel long ago for my machine that shows mine 24/7.
I am at 40 degrees right now at room temp with light usage.
Not all CPU's are the same but my old one i have right now shuts off at about 60 degrees.
The computer will actually turn right off  Cheesy
And if i max out the cpu it regularly goes to 55 degrees.

Audio work is also done by the CPU.
I was going to suggest getting and looking at "Process Monitor" from MS/ Sysinternals earlier.
But of you are not an advanced user it's not gonna help.
Point being is what i just said can be seen clearly with the program.
The various audio related services will show a percentage of CPU usage etc.

Earlier i was going to post the Realtek site link (i collect driver bookmarks for years)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

But.. what VOD said may be a better idea.. never tried that ever though.
The link i posted is the common package that works for a HUGE amount of Realtek chipsets.
Although if you want to install drivers always match the model number of what you got with what the package says it is for.
The installer would fail to install though if it was no applicable.

Depends on your skill level and motivation.
Seek Microsoft's help or maybe a computer store's help etc maybe.
I always preferred to do things on my own but it's a long frustrating learning experience.
I used to run a PC repair business out of my home for about 5 years around 2003'ish.

I will shut up now so i don't make this any more confusing Wink

Here is the MS site link for PM too
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
A very cool program that MS bought years ago.
The same place has "Autoruns" too which i love !
Although it can do damage if you don't know what you are doing with it.
If there is one thing i am good for is Bookmarked URL's Smiley

ice18

Activity: 2492
Merit: 542

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

Audio driver is not compatible on your mobo or in your windows 10, try to uninstall your recently installed audio driver then reboot the computer and install your audio driver, if it does not solve the issue try to search a new audio driver you can use skydriver software to automatically detects the appropriate driver on your system.

SlaughterGirl

Activity: 288

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 07:44:55 AM

I have similar problem on win7. First it starts to happen while I was using Aimp for music and sound in that program stopped (while all other sounds worked just fine), then I have started using Windows player and then sound begin to get pause itself every once in a while... Now I use VLC player and I dont have any issues

Mike8 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 02:29:10 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2017, 09:02:17 AM by Mike8

First of all, I think that it's fixed. It had one entire day without any more stops.
I so hope it'll keep working....

First thing i said was check your event viewer.. there may be a clear answer there for you.

The event viewer had a lot of WHEA logger warnings like this:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0x340A
Class Code: 0x30400

The details view of this entry contains further information.

just google didn't help this time. Most errors were about WiFi and I don't have WiFi on this.

So it happens in your browser only ? All browsers ?

Chrome. And sometimes foobar2000 player.

And that tweaker won't do anything unless you click on the options.
It has no installer to so there is no way to install or uninstall it.
So i am not sure how you "uninstalled" it.

I am not sure what you are talking about.
LAV codecs sounded like an interesting idea, so I installed them and used the tweaker to make the system use them by default.

My point was that i do things different and not so much that you should.
If you are not an advanced user doing advanced stuff may not be a good idea.

I am medium user. Neither basic, neither too advanced.
The correct hints use to get me on the right direction, usually, without too much explanation. Usually.

If you DO in fact have a Realtek audio chipset (integrated on motherboard)
You might have better luck using the driver from Realtek's web site and not the default Microsoft one
Why that might be helpful is if your audio setup is screwed up the process of changing drivers might help.
It would basically reset how it is.
So it 's not so much a 1 don't work and the other does thing.

It is Realtek. Actually one Realtek on mobo and I think that one more on the old AMD video card, at least that's what I understood. Both are made by Realtek, but needed different drivers.
And I had MS drivers and the main thing I've done was to replace MS drivers with manufacturer drivers, even if some are rather old (2012).

I am curious how many tabs you might have open all with an audio feed on them too.
Most of the time i have Firefox running and i try not to open to many tabs especially at places like Youtube etc.
Anyway it could be lots of things.. check that event viewer and go from there.
Poke around to see if there is any messages related to audio or maybe your browser etc.
That is why the event viewer is there.

This is an interesting hint, I really thought the OS is not stupid and won't screw up if I open more Youtube tabs.
I'll keep an eye on that if the issue occurs again.

To get help you should post more info too.
What soundcard or sound chip do you have ?
What type of audio setup is it ?
Digital / Analog HDMI ?

Realtek High Definition Audio
ATI HDMI Audio (I think that the chipset is actually Realtek in this one too)
Logitech Wireless Headset

I would also be double checking the thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink; if it's an old CPU it's probably worth cleaning off the old thermal paste and reapplying new paste.

Interesting, I will go and ask somebody to check this for me, it's out of my league. Thanks.

Earlier i was going to post the Realtek site link (i collect driver bookmarks for years)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Google found for me their Czech site. It did the job.

But.. what VOD said may be a better idea.. never tried that ever though.

Why? You already helped more than they could.

I will shut up now so i don't make this any more confusing Wink

No, you were all right. And Process Explorer is my Taskman replacement for years now (just I have an older version, I see).
The CPU usage was as expected. The 90%+ use happens when I want to and I did that for a test. The normal is under 5%, but the temperature is still high, that's why the thermal paste idea sounded good to me.

I have similar problem on win7. First it starts to happen while I was using Aimp for music and sound in that program stopped (while all other sounds worked just fine), then I have started using Windows player and then sound begin to get pause itself every once in a while... Now I use VLC player and I dont have any issues

When I had Win7 on this same computer, this never happened, so the problem is not the same. Thanks though.

Thank you all for the help. Now it seems to be OK. If the problem reoccurs, I'll ask again.

Edit 2017-03-03, for whoever has the same issues:
The problem still occurred after the driver fixes, but much more seldom. I've seen 2 possible problems:

1. The system log still has shown from time to time error like this: Unable to start a DCOM Server: CortanaUI.AppXtpp90jhw9p0njjb85kvhxpppgrqfp117.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable
I've done the steps from here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/cortana-error-in-event-viewer/2580f7a5-554c-4e8e-a4e7-77e6ede25923

2. Somehow it looked like when Vuze was running this problem started occurring or at least it came more often. I uninstalled it.

Maybe this sounds surprising, for me it was, but after all these steps, including the last two, the sound doesn't stop no matter what I do, no matter the CPU is at 3% or almost 100%.

The problem is solved.

Thank you for your help, especially Spoetnik for getting me to the right direction (abandon Microshitty drivers).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: