Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:11:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colocating your rigs  (Read 2521 times)
lordgrows (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:05:38 PM

I've got some good space in a datacenter, on a secured suite with AC, rackspace, power and bandwidth for you miners. Cheaper than running it from home.
But I'll need a case to present to the boss and need a minimum number of people to make it worth.

Minimum order: it's a block unit of 1U rackspace (19"wide by 1.75" tall by 24-32" deep), and 90W of power. 1Mbps bandwidth included.
Cost: US$ 20/month

Power per U can go up to 270W at a cost of $15/90W block.

If your equipment is not rackmount (like custom mining rigs or ztex boards) we can provide 1U and 2U shelves for $60 each (one time fee) to accomodate them.

Setup fee of $100 but that will be able to be negotiated down or to zero.

I need a minimum 800 units sold (or 72kW, whichever comes first) to have the case and authorization from management.

BTC will obviously be accepted.

Interested people, please PM me. I'll be making a waitlist and will not require any personal identification or commitment or payment at this point until we reach the minimum goal.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ryantc

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:22:38 PM

It's really an interesting idea to keep mining rig cool during the summer

But here is some of my concern, I might be wrong in doing my calculation coz I've never dealt with datacenter space rent.

From data you provide,

1U rackspace comes with 90W of power costs $20/Month, I only consider in terms of power supply (not space in the rack) ATM,
in order to power a 4-video cards ming rig, it requires 7-9 blocks of 90W depends on cards, so that is $20 for the first 90w block plus another 6-8 90W blocks @ $15/each, that's about $90-$120

So only power supply will cost around $100/month/rig

Now, get back to space in the rack, a full size video card is about 5 inch and a typical 2U is about 3.5 inch, I don't know if there is enough space inside to accommodate a typical 4-video cards mining rig.

For ppl who are using FPGA might be a good idea?
lordgrows (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:51:49 PM

But here is some of my concern, I might be wrong in doing my calculation coz I've never dealt with datacenter space rent.

From data you provide,

1U rackspace comes with 90W of power costs $20/Month, I only consider in terms of power supply (not space in the rack) ATM,
in order to power a 4-video cards ming rig, it requires 7-9 blocks of 90W depends on cards, so that is $20 for the first 90w block plus another 6-8 90W blocks @ $15/each, that's about $90-$120

I've read through a little on the forums here and saw one GPU can use around 200-250W of power.

The all-inclusive (conditioned power with UPS, BW, rackspace) cost in the model I proposed is around $0.30/kWh ($0.30 * 0.09kW * 744h on a month = $20.09).
Comparison: Domestic/Residential power in the US is around $0.10-0.17/kWh (source: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_06_b), but don't forget air conditioning expenses (without being optimized as in a datacenter you are looking at least at a PUE of 2, so $0.20-0.34/kWh) and bandwidth (mining uses almost nothing but still you have a minimum monthly internet bill to pay at home). Not even counting the initial investment on a UPS and on an airconditioning unit.

Now, get back to space in the rack, a full size video card is about 5 inch and a typical 2U is about 3.5 inch, I don't know if there is enough space inside to accommodate a typical 4-video cards mining rig.

Usually on rackmount servers a video card will be sideways 90 degrees from the motherboard (facing the floor/top) connected to the motherboard by a riser card. On a 1U you can fit up to 2 PCI slots on a single case depending on the case.
On a 2U you usually can fit 4 or 5x half-height, full length cards.
Supermicro also has servers that go up to 4x GPU PCI-e slots distributed over the chassis in 1U or 2U config.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 02:52:48 PM

From data you provide,

I've read through a little on the forums here and saw one GPU can use around 200-250W of power.

The all-inclusive (conditioned power with UPS, BW, rackspace) cost in the model I proposed is around $0.30/kWh ($0.30 * 0.09kW * 744h on a month = $20.09).
Comparison: Domestic/Residential power in the US is around $0.10-0.17/kWh (source: http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_06_b), but don't forget air conditioning expenses (without being optimized as in a datacenter you are looking at least at a PUE of 2, so $0.20-0.34/kWh) and bandwidth (mining uses almost nothing but still you have a minimum monthly internet bill to pay at home). Not even counting the initial investment on a UPS and on an airconditioning unit.

Usually on rackmount servers a video card will be sideways 90 degrees from the motherboard (facing the floor/top) connected to the motherboard by a riser card. On a 1U you can fit up to 2 PCI slots on a single case depending on the case.
On a 2U you usually can fit 4 or 5x half-height, full length cards.
Supermicro also has servers that go up to 4x GPU PCI-e slots distributed over the chassis in 1U or 2U config.

Have fun cooling 1KW of heat in a 2U server. Ah yes that's right, you can't.

Whole idea sucks in terms of actually being able to do what you said, and the fact it would cost about $1.5k a year per computer.

lordgrows (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 03:05:23 PM

Whole idea sucks in terms of actually being able to do what you said, and the fact it would cost about $1.5k a year per computer.

Cheaper than at home as proved.
But it is possible. If you are using 1kW then you will need at least 4U space using it or not (this datacenter maximum cooling capacity is 225W/U or 11.25kW/cabinet). It's not a home setup with a fan over the case. Plus if Supermicro makes these 2U cases with GPU support then they come with enough fans to do so properly.
exotime

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:56:42 AM

Any data center worth putting your rigs in will be expensive. You'll need a whole rack worth of mining gear - which, would have to be fully cased, making a maximum of probably four cards per 4RU - to make it worth the costs of rack rental, electricity, rack setup fees, connectivity, etc...

Source: DC Engineer
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:52:37 PM

90W per U?  Yeah, that's great for running the motherboard, what about the rest of the machine? 

My lowly 2xGPU machine (HD6970 & HD5870) is hitting close to 500W of power.  The heat it generates is ridiculous, too.  I have three GPUs running in a spare room.  It's a 12'x14' room.  Outside temp is a windy 4C today.  Windows are open.  Heating is off.  Rest of house is 18C.  Room with the mining machine in was 29C when I opened the door this morning.  It's now gone down to 25C after 4 hours.

IF you could build a 4U rack machine with 4xGPU in it, you're looking at 1600W of power, and giving out well over 1KW of heat.  Fill a 42U rack with those machines, that's 16KW of power, and 10KW of heat at a conservative estimate.  That's a lot of heat to shift.

I think you're sniffing glue if you think this idea has any legs.  The logistics are bad, the economics are worse.

Unless you mean renting out the rack space for servers for mining pools, then maybe you've got something.  But running miners is a silly plan.
lordgrows (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:51:29 PM

As said, it supports 270W per U max. And this is a high density facility.
No datacenter will allw more than 10 or 13kW per rack, and the usual is 2kW usable...
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 05:06:32 PM

As said, it supports 270W per U max. And this is a high density facility.
No datacenter will allw more than 10 or 13kW per rack, and the usual is 2kW usable...

That's great but... we don't really care.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:18:13 AM

Cheaper than at home as proved.
But it is possible. If you are using 1kW then you will need at least 4U space using it or not (this datacenter maximum cooling capacity is 225W/U or 11.25kW/cabinet). It's not a home setup with a fan over the case. Plus if Supermicro makes these 2U cases with GPU support then they come with enough fans to do so properly.

My power in Arizona averages 0.07 / kW/h.  With stratum or your own poolserver, bandwidth demand is minimal, and backup with a 3G USB modem is easy and sufficient (pro-tip DSL goes down as often as your hard wired phone does).  The last 5 years in Arizona my power has gone off 0 times.  So there is no upside to a colo for Bitcoin.

For security I lease a small commerical office space - it's far cheaper than residential, and I don't care that the warehouse space hits 40 C.

We should organize a Bitcoin get together in AZ though.  There are lots of useful Bitcoin projects that you could help with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: