Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:37:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Price of BTC - up about 150% in the past 12 months. Reasons?  (Read 2206 times)
Slark (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 06:01:15 PM

The bitcoin price rose enormously in the last year. We had about 150% increase in the past 12 months.

What do you think caused that?

1. The Halving.
2. Nothing in particular. It is standard for BTC to gain value as a result of general adoption growing.
3. Future Bitcoin projects potential - mainly: Coin ETF, but at that time SegWit and LN were hyped as well.
4. Something else or combination of all factors presented above?

Do you think rising trend will continue in 2017?

Or we will hit the ceiling soon due to current bitcoin problems: unresolved scaling debate, fee war etc.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 06:18:22 PM

it is all of the above!
but you should know that a 100%-150% rise is not a new thing and it certainly was not only last year.

2011 price went from $0.3 to $3 (900%)
2012 price went from $3 to $14 (360%)
2013 price went from $14 to $1200 i'd like to think real price was $180-$200 (1300%)
the Mt Gox correction took some time but before that price was rising the same way.
2015 started from $200ish and ended at $450 (125%)
and 2016 from $450 to $1166 (160%)

p.s. the numbers may be a tiny bit off the mark, check price history for accuracy!

There is a FOMO brewing...
Genesis1337

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 06:27:41 PM

I think that the financial turmoil in many countries with central banks are huge factors. These events all cause more people to come to bitcoin as a gold 2.0 and store of value. Especially events like the Greek debt crisis, India getting rid of bills, or Venezuela going into recession. I always view bitcoin competition to be mainly focus on fiat currencies, with other cryptocurrencies  coming second. And I am definitely bullish in 2017. I've been waiting for a hyper inflation event for that last couple of years, http://www.usdebtclock.org/ and i still think something will happen before 2020. there are so many things that could go wrong with U.S. economy very soon. http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/countdown-to-fomc.html I do think that some of the goldbugs like Peter Schiff and Mike Maloney who think austrian economics is the world will be right in some of there predictions. So we will see what happens.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Bitcoinsummoner

Activity: 1330
Merit: 622

Maintain Social Distance, Stay safe.

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2017, 06:54:07 PM

I think it is because of halving because i just notice the movement from last 2013 that the price is increase before or after block halving dont the exact block halving before but i think there is a big help by block halving..
Compare to the last year movement of the price i feel and seen theres many changes right now..

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
quake313

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 08:06:42 PM

The bitcoin price rose enormously in the last year. We had about 150% increase in the past 12 months.

1. The Halving.
2. Nothing in particular. It is standard for BTC to gain value as a result of general adoption growing.
3. Future Bitcoin projects potential - mainly: Coin ETF, but at that time SegWit and LN were hyped as well.

Or we will hit the ceiling soon due to current bitcoin problems: unresolved scaling debate, fee war etc.

Fair market value of Bitcoin $2136.52
http://www.alfaquotes.com/

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 08:12:43 PM

it is all of the above!
but you should know that a 100%-150% rise is not a new thing and it certainly was not only last year.

2013 price went from $14 to $1200 i'd like to think real price was $180-$200 (1300%)
the Mt Gox correction took some time but before that price was rising the same way.

p.s. the numbers may be a tiny bit off the mark, check price history for accuracy!

Halving, plus ETF, plus capital flight from China (though that part might be abating because of PBOC actions).

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 04:50:05 AM

the only reason for price rise is always adoption and nothing else. and more adoption leads to more demand and that simply rises the price based on supply and demand relationship.

all the rest of the factors such as capital flight!, ETF, and other weird things you hear in other topics, if they lead to more adoption that means they are contributing to rise by adding more people.

although halving means is the only thing that is contributing to less new supply so less sell pressure by miners hence price rise.

Buying the dip...
cracxme

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 05:09:45 AM

First and most important point is Demand, as supply of coins are limited and people taking more interest in it so, price will increase.

Halving is another factor as mining coins become less profitable when halving takes place, so it put pressure on miners, if price will not increase after halving then people will stop taking interest in mining coins as difficulty increasing day by day and thus we need high power miners which are very expensive to operate.

BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 05:23:51 AM

it is all about adoption AKA more demand.
right now more demand means more people investing in bitcoin since it is mostly an investment, and things such as ETF are effective but LN, Segwit,... are off less importance to investors.

for the future we need more adoption as a currency and the later things become of importance. and when more businesses and services are created in bitcoin world we see more people coming in and higher price. and the 100%-200% rises in a year continues.

--looking for signature--
poloniexwhale

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:23:31 AM

1. The Halving.

Halving should be one reason, and the main reason, but before halving pump, I remember we could almost hit 800 usd, and then be dumped to 5-600 usd for months, and then big pump to 1200 usd.

ArdiPrabowo

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:40:07 AM

it is all of the above!

if youre write about statistic bitcoin price is true
investment in bitcoin is profitable, because without anything do it can get much profit, and every year can incraese over 100%
JL421

Activity: 812
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 07:32:26 AM

Normally if you see the price keeps increasing itself as many new users are daily purchasing. And also the mining facilities are increasing so I think that also affects the price. Now talking about 150% I don't know when you purchased but most of the people had purchased bitcoin during the bitfinex hack as the price was really low so if you compare that time and now there is a easy return of 150-180%.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:49:03 AM

this is a normal amount of rise for bitcoin. and it is not even a new thing Smiley

1. The Halving.
all of these can be the cause of the rise.
1) halving has led to less reward for miners to dump which means less sell pressure.
2) this is always there, bitcoin is getting adopted everyday whether by new investors waning to join in the >100% profit each year. or it is adopted by new merchants wanting to get rid of relying on banks and get rid of charge back scam.
3) SegWit and LN are not projects it is more of development, projects are ETF, Megauploan 2.0, OpenBazaar, and many things that I can't recall right now. and these projects introduce bitcoin to many so they are helpful.
4) the price itself has always been a big factor. when bitcoin continues doing well over time, more people notice this and feel more confident to invest.

we are too far away from the "ceiling". many say price should be $5000-$10000 per bitcoin and we are so far away from mass adoption, so you should expect a continued rise in 2017.

Only Bitcoin
puremage111

Activity: 1568
Merit: 511

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 08:51:52 AM

1. The Halving.

I believe Halving could be one of the reason. Then another important factor could be the start recognize and acceptance of bitcoin in multiple market and industry
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 10:30:37 AM

1. The Halving.

The rise started october 2015.Since then we are moving up.
The main reason I would say is that Bitcoin was highly undervalued!! And the smart investors knew that!Halving of course had an delayed effect as we saw in 2013.
There wassn't or isn't any hype due to SegWit or LN. As long as this isn't accepted by the network you can not come up with that as a reason why the price was rising the last 12-15 months!
The ETF gets way too much attention imo and I do no think it will get approved.Therefore we may see some correction happening, although I believe it will only be for a short period of time. A price of $1500 until the end of this year I would see as fair and possible.
However that doesn't mean it will happen. Things often come different than expected.
vatusasid

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 10:32:58 AM

it is all of the above!

This year, the price will rise between 80-200%.
Schuyler

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 10:53:31 AM

I remember last year that one of the reasons for the price surge was the result of the Brexit vote which sent the price from about $500 to almost $800, then it went back to the low $500s before stabilizing for a while at $600. Some predicted that the halving will have a huge effect on the price but that was not to be as that event came and gone and only did the price start to really ascend in November and reached four digits by the first week of January.
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 11:02:43 AM

So many reason for this halving can be one of them, demand can be another, even can be talks about implementation of segwit and BU. All factor and some other are reason that price is changing and can be implemented in any way. Realistically we can expect this year for bitcoin to be over 1200 even 1500 in some point this year. Price can go down below 800 so best recommendation is to store as much is possible.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 11:07:36 AM

Current price and sentiment are partly being driven by the ETF that might get approved next month. It's a big deal if it turns out to get approved since this might be the thing that we needed to bring institutional investors on board. That's why I expect the positive upwards movement to continue till March 11, where after that we'll see what the outcome is. If the ETF gets approved, we may see a decent peak at that exact day, where after that we'll continue going up like we have in the last days. If it doesn't get approved, then I expect the price to dive below $1000 again.
ASHLIUSZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 11:20:43 AM

1. The Halving.

I believe Halving could be one of the reason. Then another important factor could be the start recognize and acceptance of bitcoin in multiple market and industry

Halving gave the start to the increase in price. This further moved gradually. Soon after this due to the China's fake market by exchanges the price pumped and in a short price again came down. Now due to the ETF the upward movement is taking place without any assurance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: