Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:54:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: project for a developer $350  (Read 2663 times)
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 08:30:19 PM
Last edit: November 18, 2010, 02:18:50 AM by Bimmerhead

Is it appropriate to solicit for a developer for a bitcoin-related project on the forum?
If it is, is this the category to do it in?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 08:52:36 PM

Well you can always try by first explaining what kind of people you are looking for... or contacting people on IRC might work too~
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2010, 10:32:21 PM

Well you can always try by first explaining what kind of people you are looking for... or contacting people on IRC might work too~

What I've done is gone and posted it over here, in case it's not appropriate to start this type of discussion on this forum:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2122230#post2122230

Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 01:58:33 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2010, 02:03:27 PM by Bimmerhead

Okay here it is:

Customization of vBCredits II Deluxe mod for vBulletin

This needs to be compatible with vBulletin 3.8 and vBulletin 4

I need a credits system that can do the following:

-enhance vBulletin to work like a pay-per-answer site. User posts a question, other users post answers and indicate what price the questioner (or any other user) must pay to see the answer.
-similarly, a user can post an article, which can only be revealed by paying price set by the poster
-users can subscribe to access a thread by paying on an ad hoc basis, or by automatic weekly/monthly/annual subscription charge
-users can donate/tip a poster
-users can donate to the site
-users can display how much they've earned/spent if they wish
-all transactions must be accounted for in some kind of log
-admin can charge to have users post in a particular thread
-users must be able to pay for their in-forum currencies in bitcoin from their bitcoin client or online bitcoin account
-users must be able to cash out their earnings into their bitcoin client or online bitcoin account
-admin should be able to have a commission, optionally set by flat fee or percentage, diverted to a second bitcoin account.  The commission rate can be set differently for each of the payment actions above

After a quick review of some of the mods currently available for vBulletin it seems that modifying vBCredits II Deluxe would be the easiest way to achieve the above, as it comes with an API. I really don't know though, as I'm no developer.  As well, vBCredits includes a lot of useful functionality that could benefit from bitcoinization.

If this project interests you please PM me or post here.

I'll start by saying $350 but if I'm underpricing this feel free to let me know.
appamatto

Activity: 36
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 03:45:05 AM

Nice idea!

I think there are also various stackoverflow clones that could be the basis for a similar system.
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 04:07:10 AM

Yes, I wondered about OSQA, but really I think it is more important to get something built that can plug into a very popular system (vBulletin) than just to have a running example of a bitcoin-funded Q&A site.

But if anyone has a proposal along those lines I am listening...
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 05:09:49 PM

No interest here or over at vbulletin.org

What am I doing wrong?  Not enough money?  Bad idea?
 Huh
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 10:04:45 PM

Huh

Our small community size meant that it will take time for somebody to decide that this project is worth their time.

Also, your bounty would benefit from the price mentioned in the title of this thread.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 17, 2010, 10:16:37 PM

I do think it's a nice idea, but I just don't have time to do it at the moment.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2010, 10:21:41 PM

Huh

I think it is a great idea, I don't have the skills though. It might take time, but I think you'll get what you want eventually.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Anonymous

November 18, 2010, 12:32:20 AM

It would be good if freelancer or odesk accepted payment in bitcoin.....

I love the idea of a forum plugin for v-bulletin.
wumpus

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 07:49:59 AM

Yeah, which brings us back to that we really need a kind of job distribution site based on bitcoins. IMHO that has a higher priority than patching vbulletin.
If people have ways to earn bitcoins and make themselves useful in the process, they might also complain less about the mining process Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 07:51:58 AM

Yeah, which brings us back to that we really need a kind of job distribution site based on bitcoins. IMHO that has a higher priority than patching vbulletin.
If people have ways to earn bitcoins and make themselves useful in the process, they might also complain less about the mining process Smiley

We call them bounties.

Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 09:54:29 PM

I've looked into setting up a getafreelancer type site, but what about this as an alternative: a forum devoted to bitcoin projects divided into the following categories.
1) Projects with a bounty
 -each project would get it's own sub-forum
2) Projects for hire
 -each project gets it's own sub-forum
3) Collaborative projects (no money changing hands here)

That way all the bitcoin projects that are available can be tracked in one place, and each can have multiple discussion threads for different aspects of a given project.

If a few of you think it's a good idea post here and I'll set it up.

Anonymous

November 19, 2010, 03:06:49 AM

I've looked into setting up a getafreelancer type site, but what about this as an alternative: a forum devoted to bitcoin projects divided into the following categories.
2) Projects for hire

That way all the bitcoin projects that are available can be tracked in one place, and each can have multiple discussion threads for different aspects of a given project.

If a few of you think it's a good idea post here and I'll set it up.

I like it. Check your pm's. Smiley
wumpus

View Profile
November 20, 2010, 11:33:59 AM

2) Projects for hire
Good idea, but I don't necessarily see it as replacement for a getafreelancer type of site. Such a site could also involve private, non-bitcoin projects.

Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:17:19 PM

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread because the idea proposed in post #4 still hasn't been done AFAIK, and I still think it's a good idea.

Any takers?  Counteroffers?  Suggestions?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: