Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:05:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And what if I don't have an up-to-date backup of my blockchain.info wallet? ::)  (Read 453 times)
QDrum (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 05:45:14 PM

So, I've spent a lot of time researching various methods when first getting into bitcoin some while ago. I eventually went for blockchain.info, and implemented some strict security restrictions.
I also made sure I have backups in various places, so that I can use a local client if something happens to blockchain.info.

So, now blockchain.info is down for many hours, and I reached out for my latest backup. To my disgust, I realized I wasn't rigorous enough, and created a new address a few days ago with ~5 BTC, and didn't have the wallet backed up since then, so I don't have the keys for it in my latest wallet.dat backup.

I do have the keys for another address where most of my coins are, but still, this new address with 5 BTC is out of reach for me right now.

Let's assume blockchain.info never comes back again (unlikely, I know). Is there any hope to restore this address? I have the blockchain.info app on my iphone, logged into my wallet and I can see its details, with the new address, there. Of course I can't transfer any money because the blockchain.info server is down. I'm pretty sure the actual wallet.dat is stored there - but how can I access it? Anyone knows?

Maybe I have a copy of it in my browser's local storage?

Any ideas? Of course best thing to do from now on is to be on top of my regular backups...

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:04:51 PM

I have the blockchain.info app on my iphone, logged into my wallet and I can see its details, with the new address, there. Of course I can't transfer any money because the blockchain.info server is down. I'm pretty sure the actual wallet.dat is stored there - but how can I access it? Anyone knows?

Interesting.  I suspect that the private key very well may be on your phone.  I'm not sure how to access it though.  If you get any information on that, please share here.  That would be quite useful info to have.

Maybe I have a copy of it in my browser's local storage?

There is a pretty good chance that the private key is stored here as well.  Again, I don't know how to access it, but all hope isn't lost.  Perhaps someone with some knowledge about this will show up here soon.  In the meantime, don't clear any of your browser cache.

Of course best thing to do from now on is to be on top of my regular backups...
I'm not positive, but I thought blockchain.info had a setting you can use so that a new copy of your wallet is sent to you every time you add a new address.  If/when the site comes back up, you might want to look into that setting.
QDrum (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:34:18 PM

I'm not positive, but I thought blockchain.info had a setting you can use so that a new copy of your wallet is sent to you every time you add a new address.  If/when the site comes back up, you might want to look into that setting.

It does, actually, and I had it on, which is why I'm perplexed about the fact that my last backup in my email account is too old. I was so sure it would send the backup automatically, that I didn't bother to check I actually got it  Undecided
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:38:11 PM

It does, actually, and I had it on, which is why I'm perplexed about the fact that my last backup in my email account is too old. I was so sure it would send the backup automatically, that I didn't bother to check I actually got it  Undecided

That's frustrating.  Hope someone stops in to help you get your private key from your iOS device or browser cache soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: