News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are You losing Interest ?
Yes - 25 (32.9%)
No - 41 (53.9%)
Maybe - 10 (13.2%)
Total Voters: 76

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Are You losing Interest ?  (Read 7085 times)
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 02:04:28 AM

Just wanted to remind you all again i don't think law / regulation = death of crypto.
There is laws for the New York Stock Exchange right ? Well they still trade "penny stocks"
And they exist already anyway..
- Tax guidelines / Rules.
- FiNCEN fined Ripple.
- Cryptsy is being chased by law and has a class-action lawsuit going.
- LocalBitcoins BTC traders were arrested in a Florida parking lot in 2013 for exceeding AML law limits.

So guys don't pretend there is freedom to protect.. it didn't exist in the first place.  Roll Eyes
And if you all really cared so much you too would have left Cryptsy or other exchanges that comply with govt law.. but look around, you are all still using them aren't you ?

Say one thing and do another..

For example i support P2P file sharing so i wouldn't use Coinbase.
They handed over user data for the owner of KickAssTorrents and helped him get arrested by the US govt etc.

You all need to back up your mouth.
You keep complying with more laws as they are added then chanting Free Market while you do it.

I grow tired of pointing out the hypocrisy.

FUD first & ask questions later™
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:58:03 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 04:09:07 AM by iamnotback

Just wanted to remind you all again i don't think law / regulation = death of crypto.
There is laws for the New York Stock Exchange right ? Well they still trade "penny stocks"

And they are all scams too. I created miningstocks.com in 2007 and so I know something about this.

They trample innovation because only the scammers have the connections, resources, and time to waste getting listed. And they place onerous restrictions on the way a coin could be structured, distributed, etc.. It would absolutely kill the Steem concept, which I think is going to be critical (with significant tweaks, e.g. no voting) to attaining mass adoption.

I hope you also understand that the required underwriting for IPOs is a scam that enables the investment bankers such as Goldman Sachs to take all the early stage gains of an IPO.

Regulation is scam, because the regulated are in bed with the regulators. The regulations end up being a way to keep all the non-scammers out of the profits.

I grow tired of pointing out the hypocrisy.

Yeah we grow tired of your hypocrisy.

Why don't you just admit human nature instead of lying to yourself?
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 06:23:48 AM

My hypocrisy ?
Oh jeez man you are posting Steem links here on the forum LOL
Seen the scam topic on it here ?
Why would you ? $$$

Why do i post ? well it sure as hell ain't for money.. i got none  Cheesy

Of course thing are exploited.. does having no laws = less exploitation ?
If we drop murder laws will the crime stats decrease ?

Laws exist for a reason and perfection has nothing to do with it.
Sometimes they get changed etc.
Been to www.dumblaws.com ? I KNOW some are bad.

I also know this forum will vote on my POLL if i post it asking "Is Shelby fucking nuts ?"
You and Dino are some stubborn opinionated mother fuckers who love to rail on forever
Teetering on being off-topic.
ALWAYS you ride off the rails and go down in left field hard for ages.

Losing interest ?
Yeah.. i did and because of how this shit is STILL degenerating.
There already is laws.. wanna fight them ? Go ahead but that is not why came here.
Apparently you all want no laws and want to count your Bitcoin profits (from pointless Altcoins)
Or ANON coins that have 0 realistic chance at major adoption / integration.

Hypocrisy ? gimme break.
The only others like me probably left long ago.. they are not here defending bad.

iamnotback

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 07:01:28 AM

Spoetnik, let me see your laws stop the scams in altcoins. Until then, you are just blowing hot air.

Are we tired? Yes.

Are we losing interest? Depends if we can make more money (and/or be more inspired/preoccupied/addicted) else where.

Such is life.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 08:22:51 AM

I tried to be nice, but you are determined to fill up this thread with off topic posts. You could have messaged me in private or started a new thread in Meta forum or some where else.

This thread is probably getting too much off-topic with this discussion, although in my opinion, it is not, in the sense that to me, anonymous crypto was the missing piece in the puzzle of how humanity could let the singularity happen without noticing, and how individual machines could build an economy and political power without people noticing.  So in that respect, crypto has a function, an important one, and if ever I can contribute to that, I would like to (I'm in favor of a singularity and the demise of humanity after my death: the idea that people would live happy after I'm gone pisses me off to some point...).

Concerning your hypothesis of me "wanting to win a discussion", you're wrong, I only discuss on a forum to get input for my own ideas.  You're only a source of entropy for me, I don't care much what you might think, what others might think or whatever.  I don't need a public, I need input for my own thinking, the only thing that really matters in this world.  As such, you have contributed to it and I thank you.  Although your basic point is correct, I think you're totally wrong on the orders of magnitude, which invalidates your rebuttal, because you're confusing physical entropy, and actual relevant information.  Actual information is limited by physical entropy, but there's a lot of useless noise in physical entropy.  A hot stove sends out tons of physical entropy, but doesn't contribute much to the intelligence (the financial, scientific, political and economical intelligence) of the receiver.  But by having to argue, you obliged me to put upper limits to numbers, which helped me in my thinking, and I thank you for that.
dinofelis

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 08:24:41 AM

Of course law and regulation are not the "death" of crypto.  But it is the death of crypto as a free currency to allow free economic exchange.  It will of course always remain a financial gamblers instrument.  There are many out there, as you say.  Penny stock is one.  The problem that crypto is facing, as compared to penny stock, is that it has no economic function AT ALL.  It is pure greater-fool game.  Ripping off and be ripped off, in a scewed game manipulated by the powers that be.  The stock market has an economic function: allocate investor resources to the most effective means of production.  Even several financial derivatives have economic functions, mainly in hedging, and hence selling insurance and risk - even though these tools have been mostly used also in greater-fool ripoff games.
But crypto will simply serve no purpose at all apart for being funny gamblers' tokens, at its best.
In the worst case, crypto will be adopted by the powers that be to scrutinize its citizens even more, and kill the bit of economic freedom they still have.

So it will be the death of crypto as a means to obtain economic freedom.  It will remain a gambler's token, manipulated by the powers that be to pump value in their hands.  It doesn't serve an economic purpose.  And it can become a dangerous tool of oppression.

dinofelis

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 08:36:52 AM

Of course thing are exploited.. does having no laws = less exploitation ?
If we drop murder laws will the crime stats decrease ?

Of course.

Murder laws is the prohibition to stop individual killings, and at the same time to organize large-scale killings.  If you add up all the killing in state-organized wars, you're probably far far outnumbering the number of individual murders that are avoided by states.

Murder laws are nothing else but a way to monopolise killing, with economies of scale for states waging war.

And nothing stops you from agreeing collectively upon a prohibition of murder.  The one who murders, is then ejected out of the contract, and anyone can murder him too without being annoyed either.  You don't need any law for that.  Only a contract, and enough guns.

Finally, there's fundamentally nothing wrong with murder.  If humanity was for 99.% killed, life would be much better for the survivors.  Instead of being 7 billion, we would be 70 million.  Killing a few humans is really not much of a deal.  You can call it self-regulation.

Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:06:42 AM

Cut the crap..

Wanna chant Free Market ?
Well get your damn names off that Cryptsy class action lawsuit then !
And close your exchange account etc.

God fucking help you if i find out you two guys have a Poloniex account  Cheesy

You people are full of raw uncut pure crypto-shit - YES that is worse than normal shit Wink

You all realize who is watching right ?
Imagine every Cartel and gang and terrorist organization around the globe finding out they can circumvent any and all financial laws with Crypto.
At the expense of naive fools idealism  Roll Eyes

I bet you are all counting your ROI's about it right now salivating at the prospects.

Well.. what happens when a Mark or Paul decided to take the money and run ?
You LOSE foolish little hypocrites.

We're talking about cut throat people that would behead their own mother for a dollar or a little more power etc.
And you are more than willing to hold the door open for them ?
Come one come all.. Terrorism ? no problem !
Berni Madoff or Martha Stewart ? oh their not so bad tee hee lol jaja ja
Hell's Angels ? toy drives ?
Italian Mob ?

You people are pathetic loser morons.
What in the fuck do you think they will do in Crypto ?

I have known more than one person in my life assassinated by organized crime.
They do WHAT EVER THEY WANT.
They play by their rules.

Guess what is holding them all back from fucking up your shit ?

Bottom Line:
I stuck around this long just to keep saying I told you so over and over.
I have been right predicting how this would play out.
I called it on a large scale and down to specific coins. (Like Doge)

I just was not imagining how low you would all get and how fast.
You all went from bitching about a 2% premine to saying Ripple and Ethereum are *now* legit.
And all the other ICO's..
I never predicted ICO's would take off.. because i never thought you were all that slimy and corrupt.
Boy was i wrong.  Roll Eyes

I am arguing with people who hang out here pretending to have credibility for money.
Your not in my league so sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.
No one is buying it Investards.. NOBODY !

All this shit is..
Is a circle jerk of greed where 1 Investard chants to another.. preaching to the choir.
If Earth wanted to be involved with this scammy ass silly bullshit they would already be here.
They are not for a reason.

Say hello to the new players here.. MLM scammers.
Guess who is next eye balling ANON coins and Dark Market usage ?

It's funny i have been the one defending your Free Market while the rest of you talk shit.
Cryptsy added user-verification and i avoided it and wrapped up my Trading.
Soon after that i dropped Poloniex.
You see shit talkers i ACTUALLY back up my mouth unlike you.
You all spew bullshit because you want that freedom but you are not willing to defend it in the slightest.

Yup the guy here saying we need regulations has done more to defend the "free market" than all of you.
Know what the little kidiots are thinking ?
Oh well, Spoetnik how would i make money of 3 letter ascii codes then ?
You don't dumb fucks.
That is the whole integrity part you fail to grasp.  Cheesy

StinkyLover

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

This industry is pure fiction

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 09:56:44 AM

Brother Spoetnik

As soon as you take your eye off the ball, crypto will explode. OK, maybe not. I'm not losing interest but I don't think we're headed towards mainstream adoption right now.

My reservations about this industry are:

1. Since joining and getting involved over these years I've now realised that I don't want to be my own bank. Everybody wants to steal your crypto and there's no comeback once it's gone. Plug me back into the matrix please!
2. The blockchain itself. I know advancements are coming but there's something that just niggles me about the current concept of the bloatchain (sorry blockchain). The next blockchain innov needs to do something like constantly hash the previous 10,000 blocks so that the chain size is kept to a reasonable size for eternity. I don't really care about storage tech. It still takes new users DAYS to download mature bloatchains. Sort it geniuses!!
3. The tech. I keep saying it, nobody cares. Start getting usability sorted. OK, I get why anonymity is required. Everybody wants some privacy. I don't want a Russian gangster to know my BTC balance just because they know my BTC address. Tech has to be usable, not just techy.
4. The scams and constant striving for profit. It's ugly and non-tech users are put off. I am. It's never ending and I have no ideas to make my own IPO/ICO and profit as well!

Maybe what we need are crypto banks (kill me now, just do it) where your BTC or anything else is kept safely. Y'all know that's where we're headed. The Poloniex's of this world may evolve into crypto banks with their own secure multiwallets available.

One thing for sure is that crypto has to evolve into something usable. So far it's all about the tech and not enough about the rollout.

onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 10:16:33 AM

I think that ICO's and huge premines are really bad for crypto community (especially the ones with unknown devs).
There are too many clone coins out there, that are launched as an ICO. Small amount on launch as ICO would be acceptable as far as the devs are known.
C-CEX has had too many bad ICO's and they accept almost every coin that are submitted there as long as they get their 3BTC fee.
What do we need is new coins with new features and skilled developers, and not just some scumback scammers launching 2 ICO's every month and running away with the funds.
We will not probably go mainstream before these issues have been solved.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████
███████████████████████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
dinofelis

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:07:26 PM

Brother Spoetnik

As soon as you take your eye off the ball, crypto will explode. OK, maybe not. I'm not losing interest but I don't think we're headed towards mainstream adoption right now.

My reservations about this industry are:

1. Since joining and getting involved over these years I've now realised that I don't want to be my own bank. Everybody wants to steal your crypto and there's no comeback once it's gone. Plug me back into the matrix please!
2. The blockchain itself. I know advancements are coming but there's something that just niggles me about the current concept of the bloatchain (sorry blockchain). The next blockchain innov needs to do something like constantly hash the previous 10,000 blocks so that the chain size is kept to a reasonable size for eternity. I don't really care about storage tech. It still takes new users DAYS to download mature bloatchains. Sort it geniuses!!
3. The tech. I keep saying it, nobody cares. Start getting usability sorted. OK, I get why anonymity is required. Everybody wants some privacy. I don't want a Russian gangster to know my BTC balance just because they know my BTC address. Tech has to be usable, not just techy.
4. The scams and constant striving for profit. It's ugly and non-tech users are put off. I am. It's never ending and I have no ideas to make my own IPO/ICO and profit as well!

Maybe what we need are crypto banks (kill me now, just do it) where your BTC or anything else is kept safely. Y'all know that's where we're headed. The Poloniex's of this world may evolve into crypto banks with their own secure multiwallets available.

One thing for sure is that crypto has to evolve into something usable. So far it's all about the tech and not enough about the rollout.

This is what I'm repeating all the time: if you want to be entirely law-abiding, law-protected and government-respected, fiat is much much better.  The only thing that crypto has for it, is that it is trustless and decentralized.  But if a centralized authority making the laws and enforcing the laws is admitted, it is MUCH MUCH cheaper, simpler, easier... to do away with that trustlessness distributed and have that authority, that is in any case dictating the laws, be the central authority for the monetary asset too.  That's exactly what a central bank is.

dinofelis

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:13:02 PM

You all realize who is watching right ?
Imagine every Cartel and gang and terrorist organization around the globe finding out they can circumvent any and all financial laws with Crypto.

We now have a SELECT club of such cartels, gangs and terrorist organisations.  They are called states, and their dependencies.  Having unregulated crypto opens the game they can play up to everybody. 

Well.. what happens when a Mark or Paul decided to take the money and run ?
You LOSE foolish little hypocrites.

That's what states do all the time.  They call it taxes.

We're talking about cut throat people that would behead their own mother for a dollar or a little more power etc.
And you are more than willing to hold the door open for them ?
Come one come all.. Terrorism ? no problem !
Berni Madoff or Martha Stewart ? oh their not so bad tee hee lol jaja ja
Hell's Angels ? toy drives ?
Italian Mob ?

These are amateurs.  States are the professional throat cutters, scammers, terrorists and mobs.  They have stolen more from people than any gang, they have killed more people than any mob, they have lied, cheated and scammed more than a thousand Madoffs.

I have known more than one person in my life assassinated by organized crime.
They do WHAT EVER THEY WANT.
They play by their rules.

I know millions of people that have been assassinated by states.  They call it wars.
iamnotback

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 12:27:41 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 12:48:26 PM by iamnotback

...because you're confusing physical entropy, and actual relevant information.  Actual information is limited by physical entropy, but there's a lot of useless noise in physical entropy.  A hot stove sends out tons of physical entropy, but doesn't contribute much to the intelligence (the financial, scientific, political and economical intelligence) of the receiver.  But by having to argue, you obliged me to put upper limits to numbers, which helped me in my thinking, and I thank you for that.

I am just frustrated because I don't have time to whirl away arguing in forums about things that don't really concern the immediate goals I (we) need to be focused on. But I also can't allow the community to get the impression that I am incorrect on any major topic (unless I am genuinely incorrect, in which case I will concede at the earliest possible realization of it).

Also Malthusian doomsday religion FUD supports a lot of scammy shitcoins in our ecosystem, so I'd really like to squash that and encourage more objective rationality amongst speculators (if possible but I am not going to appoint myself as the altcoin police again).

Your error is you don't seem to deeply understand Chaos theory (although I presume you at least understand it superficially or definitionally). You don't seem to understand that a total perspective on information is always contingent on the future outcomes (i.e. to distinguish information from noise requires understanding the future outcomes to which the current body of entropy will be applied) and due to the Butterfly effect then you will egregiously underestimate the possible permutations of outcomes. That is why it is incalculable. And this is also the reason that the network is the vastly greater portion of the entropy and why it is itself also alive. If we had more time and inclination, we could elucidate this more formally.

cha·os the·o·ry
noun
the branch of mathematics that deals with complex systems whose behavior is highly sensitive to slight changes in conditions, so that small alterations can give rise to strikingly great consequences.

Let's use the equation for Pi as an example. We can communicate all of the digits of Pi by simply sending the equation for it. So it seems the entropy is very low in isolation. Now let's introduce a network of actors which respond to input by computing from Nth digit as a function of the input and their prior state, plus the unbounded nondeterminism of the communication latency across the network. Now you have unbounded entropy. That is Chaos theory. The entropy is incalculable and unbounded because it is alive. This is why top-down control always fails. This is the why the free market anneals better because the decisions are made by actors closer to their local gradients.

P.S. another problem is it is very likely that the Singularity has become an ideological cause or religion for you. You've likely invested a lot into it being true. So it not being true is going to be a big blow.
iamnotback

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:04:58 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 01:40:23 PM by iamnotback

The problem that crypto is facing, as compared to penny stock, is that it has no economic function AT ALL.

It has been much more easy for me to take investment from angel investors anonymously via Bitcoin (some was sent with XMR.to and ShapeShift) than I could have achieved with fiat to my bank account in the USA. Also I didn't want to have all my funds stored in that USA bank account, but for example the child support department in Washington State has already more than once gone into that account and stolen funds even if I was only 15 days late on a child support payment. And I figured at any time my ex might get an attorney and somehow garnish the entire account even though I haven't lived with her for 15 years (after she left!) and I don't have any assets whatsoever except my year 2003 model Isuzu SUV which about to die (negative net worth). Btw, my youngest child will be 18 in May, so it isn't like I haven't supported my kids (e.g. spent $8000+ tuition a year in 2004 to send them to Brent Baguio, the best private school in the Philippines).

Note I had closed my bank account in the Philippines because of FATCA. And opening another bank account in the USA wouldn't solve any of the above problems. And I can't easily open another account there since I am not there and haven't been in the USA since 2006.

Bitcoin has an economic function which is to the enable investment in this ecosystem, which is going to end up spawning the WWW of blockchains and cause blockchains to go mainstream, the same as TBL's WWW did for the nascent Internet which had been around for a decade before he invented the WWW.

Don't be so short-sighted and doomsday oriented. It isn't good for your mental health nor your investment decisions.
dinofelis

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:46:58 PM

Your error is you don't seem to deeply understand Chaos theory (although I presume you at least understand it superficially or definitionally).

If you'd know me, you'd understand that that comment is, well, misguided.  But you don't know me, and you shouldn't.  Of course it is pretentious to claim to know a subject deeply, and there are people on this planet who know much more about it than I do, but they are not very numerous, I can say.  I'll easily concede that I'm not in the top 10, nor even in the top 100.  Beyond that, we'd have to discuss Wink

I also know enough about it to know that it is not of enormous interest here, in what I'm saying.  It has some importance, but that importance is vastly over-estimated in your rebuttals.

But let me frame somewhat more what I try to demonstrate, because there may very well be a big misunderstanding on that.  

My theorem is the following:

"in as much as we can rely on Moore's law in the coming century, and in as much as there is no major backlash in technological, economical and political development, the day that machines will have a political, economical and scientific superiority over humans will fall within this century.  That day is the day that we are not the dominant species on earth any more, but they are".

My demonstration is that the premises lead to the existence of a network of nodes which surpasses the human network in all respects concerning political, economical, scientific intelligence: the nodes are individually more performing than individual humans, and the network is at least as performing as the human network.

The last bit is simple to demonstrate: as the human network is built ON TOP of a machine network for most of its information flow, then of course the machine network, as a network is at least as performing as the human network built on top of it.  This also goes for "public knowledge".  All public knowledge "on the internet" is of course also available to machines.

So it is not on the network side that humans will continue to outperform machines, as the human network is built on top of it: machines can very easily have a virtual network that is just as performant, and that has just as much access to public knowledge (political, financial, scientific, historical, social, ....) than humans have through that same network.

This is why the thing that matters is the comparison of individual nodes.  I take it that the human network will be of similar size than the machine network (a few billion nodes).  I take it that there will be (at least) as many machine nodes than there are human nodes.  So the only thing that makes the difference is the individual node intelligence.  When individual node intelligence surpasses individual human intelligence, my theorem is demonstrated.

So how can I demonstrate that node intelligence will, at a certain point, be capable of surpassing human intelligence ?  I don't know what FORM machine intelligence will take.  It most probably will NOT be an imitation of the human brain, because the human brain structure is not adapted to silicon, and what is performing with carbon chemistry may be extremely wasteful of resources with silicon.  But a WORST CASE would be when machines implement human-brain-like processing.  As I said, this will most probably not be what will happen, as in silicon, there are probably *much faster ways* to implement brain-like intelligence, but the worst case is when we imitate the human brain in silicon.

For this, we need to have:
1) the hardware capacity
2) the software running on it

Moore's law demonstrates that in about 20-30 years, the equivalence of individual PC will reach/surpass the raw memory and processing power of human brains.  So in as much as we can run the right software on it, an individual PC will be able to do similar kinds of processing as your average human brain.  The estimates taken for that are most probably exaggerated.  Probably the processing power needed for our *intelligent political, financial, economical and scientific thinking* is much, much smaller than that.  But it can of course not surpass the total potential capacity of processing of our brain.  So in the worst of cases, individual nodes will have sufficient raw hardware capacity to do all the needed processing.

The question that remains is: the software.  You may have a gigantic supercomputer, if the software running on it serves to calculate prime numbers, that machine will never do any political or economical thinking.  The question is: is it *thinkable* to have software that will implement sufficient intelligent thinking, processing like the human brain is doing ?  It might be that the "software" the human brain is running, is immensely complex.  Is it ?

That was the essence of my previous posts: no, it isn't that terribly complex.  The human brain is a processing system of which the fundamental software cannot surpass the full genetic information needed to *build a brain*.  Most probably it is a very small part of that, because that genetic information must also tell how digestion works, how procreation works, and even in the construction of the brain, there are a lot of aspects that don't matter concerning the processing, but are just the metabolism of brain cells.  I (strongly over)estimated the total information contents of genetic and epi-genetic information (everything that is needed to build physically a human body) to be 4 TB.  But in reality, the part that corresponds to the computational aspects of the human brain must be a very very small part of it, simply because much of this genetic and epigenetic information is common with fish, mollusks and chimps.

So the specific instruction set needed to get to the computational structure of the human brain mustn't be such a big deal.

Now, the human brain is a self-modifying piece of software, which "learns" by obtaining sensory information.  You're entirely correct on that.  But to "make a brain" you only need to BOOTSTRAP its construction, in exactly the same way as the human brain is constructed from genetic and epi-genetic information in the womb of the mother.

One shouldn't confuse the "run-time" structure of the human brain (which can be very complex) with the code needed to implement that run-time.  For instance, the code needed to set up a computational neural network with 1 billion nodes and 10 layers can probably be written in a few pages.  That's all that is needed to implement such a huge neural network on a running machine.  THAT is the code I'm talking about, that must be smaller (much, much smaller) than 4 TB.  THAT is the code that implements the computational aspects of the "raw" human brain, with its "native" (literally) structure (the "pre-wired things").

Once you get that raw brain up and running on sufficiently powerful hardware, you can FEED it similar stimuli than a small baby receives from its sensory inputs, the most important one being the visual stimuli.  We're talking about fluxes less than a few MB/s, which can very easily be fed into the run-time object that is running and is the "raw brain", modifying itself like the brain is modifying itself when a baby is growing up.  Have this object running for 20 years with similar stimuli as a human brain, and you obtain a thinking adult brain-like run-time state.

If all of this succeeds, you will end up with a run-time equivalent of a human brain.

I only wanted to demonstrate that all these steps fall largely within reasonable boundaries, totally feasible in principle on the informational side, some even today, and all very easily if Moore's law applies, within a few decades, not even a century.

So the "worst case human brain simulation" is feasible.  As in silicon, most probably much more efficient and different ways will be found to implement intelligence, not simulating clumsily a human brain, there is no fundamental problem, nor on the software side, nor on the hardware side, to obtain nodes that have sufficiently intelligent individual behaviour to outsmart us on the political, social, scientific, economic and financial side.  

But what is more, biological nature cannot clone a brain state, while silicon can very easily clone a brain state.  The learning doesn't need to be done over for every brain.  You simply do it a few times, to have some diversity in the obtained mature brain states, and then clone those a billion-fold into other nodes.

There are no information/entropy fluxes that are problematic for silicon in this respect.  Once we have a few thousand alternative mature brain states, they can be cloned, distributed, mixed, .... to make a myriad of different mature brain states in, most probably, a matter of days, on billions of machines.

You don't seem to understand that a total perspective on information is always contingent on the future outcomes (i.e. to distinguish information from noise requires understanding the future outcomes to which the current body of entropy will be applied) and due to the Butterfly effect then you will egregiously underestimate the possible permutations of outcomes. That is why it is incalculable. And this is also the reason that the network is the vastly greater portion of the entropy and why it is itself also alive. If we had more time and inclination, we could elucidate this more formally.

You are making a major mistake here.   You are perfectly right that it is essentially impossible to reproduce exactly a VERY PARTICULAR brain state: the brain state of Mary on Monday morning.  That will depend on details and is prone to chaotic divergence you talked about.  But we don't need Mary's brain state on Monday morning.  These details don't matter.  If Mary didn't look at a particular movie when she was 7 years old, she would be a different person  last Monday.  But we don't care.  The different Mary will do too.  It will also be an intelligent brain that can think politically, economically, financially and scientifically.  In a totally different way than the Mary version that saw the movie. But that doesn't matter.  The Mary that saw the movie, and the Mary that didn't see the movie, are both human brains that outsmart chimps.  In the same way, the exact brain state our silicon arrives at doesn't matter, if it can outsmart systematically most humans.  This is why chaos theory and so on don't matter in this.

It is sufficient that the possibility exists, and sooner or later, it will be realized.  As its realization will be irreversible, once is enough.  You are totally right that the KIND of society that will evolve is not predictable because prone to chaotically impossible to trace effects, but that's not what I'm talking about.  This kind of discussion is like me saying that a big meteorite is going to hit the earth and this is going to eradicate a lot of species, and you are telling me that I can't know that because I cannot predict the details of every aspect of the collision: where will what piece of rock fly ?  I don't need to do these (indeed impossible) predictions to know that the impact of the meteorite will kill off a lot of species.  I would need to do this impossible thing if I'd have to predict what new species would arise afterwards.  But just predicting the broad lines of the extinction doesn't need to delve into the details.

Let's use the equation for Pi as an example. We can communicate all of the digits of Pi by simply sending the equation for it. So it seems the entropy is very low in isolation. Now let's introduce a network of actors which respond to input by computing from Nth digit as a function of the input and their prior state, plus the unbounded nondeterminism of the communication latency across the network. Now you have unbounded entropy. That is Chaos theory. The entropy is incalculable and unbounded because it is alive. This is why top-down control always fails. This is the why the free market anneals better because the decisions are made by actors closer to their local gradients.

This is totally wrong.  What I'm saying is that, indeed, sending the equation tells you how to calculate Pi.  If there is enough raw computing power, you will be able to calculate the 100 billionth digit, while I sent you under one KB of information.  So *it will be possible to calculate Pi's 100th billionth digit* with just 1 KB of crucial information.  You don't need the more than 100 GB of run-state information to do so.  Thank you for giving an example that illustrates what I'm saying.  That it would be difficult or impossible to predict the EXACT STATE of a network of nodes trying to calculate that digit doesn't change the fact that in the end, that digit can be calculated.  That's the point.  We don't care about the exact state of a particular realisation of that computation.  We only want to show that it is possible, and not even very difficult to do so.

You could say that that those 100 billion digits don't contain much entropy: it contains much less than 1 KB of entropy.  It is all the difference between pseudo-random and truly random number generation, and is of utmost importance in cryptography.

P.S. another problem is it is very likely that the Singularity has become an ideological cause or religion for you. You've likely invested a lot into it being true. So it not being true is going to be a big blow.

No, not really.  I'm actually much more of a half solipsist, inspired by many-minds of quantum theory. (if all worlds exist of which I observe only one, then I'm the creator of that world, if you see where I'm coming from.  Of course, when I die, that world doesn't disappear, but it loses its specificity: it is one amongst all possible ones.   The Landscape style of thing).

What is nice about the singularity argument, is that you can stop worrying about the world.
dinofelis

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 01:51:22 PM

The problem that crypto is facing, as compared to penny stock, is that it has no economic function AT ALL.

It has been much more easy for me to take investment from angel investors anonymously via Bitcoin (some was sent with XMR.to and ShapeShift) than I could have achieved with fiat to my bank account in the USA.

We agree.  But that's because this is not totally complying to all legal requirements.  This is a real use case.  I'm launching this argument in the face of the people wanting total legality of crypto.  THEN it can be done with fiat, or it is (somewhat) illegal.
I'm NOT talking (only) about buying guns and drugs on dark markets.  But exactly about your kind of economic relation, which would be dangerous and/or illegal if these guys have it their way.

As you say in the rest of your post, you use crypto to hide from the sticky fat fingers of state and law.  That's the true reason for crypto to exist.  When it becomes entirely "legal" it will not serve that purpose any more.
iamnotback

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:23:25 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 08:55:49 PM by iamnotback

The reason we have 100s of shitcoins (even speculators don't realize they are shit, e.g. MaidSafe) and nothing really substantial is because nothing other than PoW (and its flaws) can function without whales:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1799665.msg17950272#msg17950272 (<--- read all my comments in the linked thread, not just the linked one)
iamnotback

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 03:47:26 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 04:45:44 PM by iamnotback

It has been much more easy for me to take investment from angel investors anonymously via Bitcoin (some was sent with XMR.to and ShapeShift) than I could have achieved with fiat to my bank account in the USA.

We agree.  But that's because this is not totally complying to all legal requirements.

Afaik, I haven't broken any law. Well I've read it conjectured that in the USA that everyone commits 3 felonies a day and doesn't know it, but I mean reasonable and auspicious laws that everyone tends to adhere to.

The point is that blockchains and crypto do LEGAL features that the legacy systems can't do! And the WWW of blockchains is going to do LEGAL things that the legacy WWW can't do.

I am preparing to work on this seriously as soon as my disseminated, extra-pulmonary Tuberculosis is cured.

This is a real use case.  I'm launching this argument in the face of the people wanting total legality of crypto.  THEN it can be done with fiat, or it is (somewhat) illegal.

Myopic, too binary, and fatalistic.

There are entirely legal things that crypto can do that fiat can't do. Decentralization is a feature that isn't always illegal. I think you don't understand why top-down control destroys degrees-of-freedom, which thus inhibits maximum productivity (this ties in with your myopia on why you don't understand that the Singularity is nonsense). You have a very top-down structured, fatalistic perspective on nature. But nature is very decentralized and chaotic (by chaotic we mean UNBOUNDED ENTROPY). The UNBOUNDED ENTROPY is your huge blindspot.

I'm NOT talking (only) about buying guns and drugs on dark markets.  But exactly about your kind of economic relation, which would be dangerous and/or illegal if these guys have it their way.

You presume that TPTB can obtain a total order on the control of the Earth. I understand that due to Chaos theory, they can't. They won't get their way. They are not an omniscient God.

The following shows how it is impossible to maintain total order control, and look at the Gallup poll which shows that the public has lost confidence in top-down institutions:

The corruption of the death of the Industrial Age in Stage #5 will give way to the rising Knowledge Age in Stage #6.

As you say in the rest of your post, you use crypto to hide from the sticky fat fingers of state and law.

Not making my cash easily accessible to someone's abuse of the State and another agency's abuse of the law is just degrees-of-freedom and chaos in action. It doesn't mean I did anything illegal or I am hiding from the law. It means it was more efficient (cheaper and more expedient) than going to court or otherwise fight abuse by others in the society. It is not an absolute matter of it being illegal, because for the moment it is afaik not illegal. Someone sent me BTC and I didn't move it to my bank account. No government agency requires me to report that action to anyone at this time. And by the time the USA gets around to requiring that, I will have renounced my citizenship (this is on my TODO list asap). These top-down Western clusterfucks will collapse back to third world cesspools. The world will move on.

That's the true reason for crypto to exist.  When it becomes entirely "legal" it will not serve that purpose any more.

There are things we really need on the Internet which can't be done currently, but which can be done with decentralized micropayments and decentralized consensus on data (i.e. a blockchain).

Soon (if my health cooperates) you will become more informed about my plans...
iamnotback

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 05:54:35 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2017, 07:39:50 PM by iamnotback

My demonstration is that the premises lead to the existence of a network of nodes which surpasses the human network in all respects concerning political, economical, scientific intelligence: the nodes are individually more performing than individual humans, and the network is at least as performing as the human network.

Since (as I demonstrated in my prior reply to you with the example of unbounded entropy of the universe) it is impossible for any of us to have a top-down totally-ordered comprehension of the totality of the complexity of the human network, then your presumption that you can make such a determination by comparing a few aspects of the network that you deem to be cardinal is quite ludicrous and audacious (but respectfully your communication has not been ostentatious and again my frustration is having to repeat myself).

Publish an academic paper with such "sound" arguments and subject it to peer review, lol.

Read on for more specific refutation...

The last bit is simple to demonstrate: as the human network is built ON TOP of a machine network

And on top of a human network which builds and maintains that machine network.

If you removed ALL of the humans for 1 hour, the machine network would experience failure and outages. Within probably 24 hours or so, the entire Internet would probably be down.

You seem to forget/discount that the machine network exists within the chaos of nature, a nature to which we biological humans are already well adapted over 1000s (or millions?) of years.

then of course the machine network, as a network is at least as performingperformant as the human network built on top of it.

So TCP/IP is as performant as Bitcoin's protocol which is built on top of TCP/IP. Logic fail.  Roll Eyes

This also goes for "public knowledge".  All public knowledge "on the internet" is of course also available to machines.

As if everyone human interprets every slice of information in the same way.

There is no one "correct" (canonical) interpretation of anything. The entire point of diversity and adaptation is resilience to an UNKNOWN (unbounded entropy) future.

None of us can measure the entropy of the human network. It in incalculable. I have already explained why but you don't seem to grasp the example of unbounded entropy (did you not watch Hewitt's video which I linked for you). For as long as you fail to understand why, then you are wasting my time by replying. Unless you say something new which doesn't repeat the same mistakes, I am probably going to ignore your future posts on this issue. Because this is getting redundant.

You seem to think we start only with a very low entropy of a few TBs total and somehow adapt to all that chaos in our existence ongoing and don't go extinct. Rather the reason we cope well (and machines don't!) is because of the massive entropy encoded in our living system (ridiculous that you assume that system is only the genes and that it only starts with the individual human that is born tomorrow).

So the only thing that makes the difference is the individual node intelligence.  When individual node intelligence surpasses individual human intelligence, my theorem is demonstrated.

I have already explained why that is an incorrect assumption. But even in that case, I have already explained why the machine "intelligence" can never match a human, because the human's entropy is not just any particular performance metric you decide to measure of the brain, but it is the interaction of all the cells, bacteria, and environment that makes each human and their actions, personality, thoughts, etc. all unique. And the unbounded entropy due to unbounded communication delay (see the Hewitt video!) across the network of interactions (not just the Internet but in all forms of human interaction) means that there is unbounded entropy in the network which is alive.

Machines might become part of the network, but for them to become cardinal to humans, they must adapt better than humans and subjugate humans. Raw processing power is not a given to make it so. Humans will also adapt. We can embed machines in our own body to supplement any areas where we feel machines have an advantage and then we still have our advantage of being more adapted as a starting point and we are biological, so we are much more complex with much higher entropy (there is variability even in the dynamic life of our DNA and RNA which is not completely deterministic by the starting point of the genes at birth).

But more than the comparison of any one component or aspect is the holistic adaptation and integration which we can't measure nor fathom in totality because omniscience can't exist. So it means that for machines to attain it, they would have to evolve to it, since we can't impart it to them. Evolution is orthogonal to processing power of the brain. Evolution is a phenomenon driven by the annealing of chaos over long epochs.

That was the essence of my previous posts: no, it isn't that terribly complex.  The human brain is a processing system of which the fundamental software cannot surpass the full genetic information needed to *build a brain*.

Incorrect. The human is a complex system that is not deterministic from fertilization. The unbounded entropy interacts with the human body and produces a chaotic and unique result for each one. Refer to the pendulum example from Chaos theory. Refer to Hewitt's video. Refer to the example I provided in my prior reply to you.

Now, the human brain is a self-modifying piece of software, which "learns" by obtaining sensory information.  You're entirely correct on that.  But to "make a brain" you only need to BOOTSTRAP its construction, in exactly the same way as the human brain is constructed from genetic and epi-genetic information in the womb of the mother.

You need the entire biology, rearing, and lifetime of the human in its network environment to produce a human. That environment and network even includes the microflora that enter the digestive system. Which is very diversified and every human has a different population of microflora strains and even every bacterium is unique as each human is unique (nature doesn't ever produce an exact duplicate of anything).

You are talking about reproducing a very artificial simulation of one narrow aspect of a human. We can train A.I. to do things that we recognize as reproducible in our environment. But we can't train A.I. to adapt and evolve with the same complexity as the totality of the human network. If machines are going to evolve to be cardinal that will be due to some unpredictable outcome of nature. It is not unavoidable or fatalistic. It is quite unlikely. It is much more likely that humans will incorporate machines into human and adapt and remain cardinal to machines (because we are in a myriad of adaptation that machines don't have but we can't measure it ourselves because it is invisible information in the living network of our historic adaptation, which is not just the genes as I have explained to you but of course you won't comprehend it or agree because it doesn't fit your fatalistic Singularity religion).

One shouldn't confuse the "run-time" structure of the human brain (which can be very complex) with the code needed to implement that run-time.

And don't confuse running it now with running over millions of years in a living network which has been continuously living all that time. You have no way to extract the information in that system, because a total order of omniscience doesn't exist.

Btw, I also studied A.I. and neural nets in the 1980s.

Once you get that raw brain up and running on sufficiently powerful hardware, you can FEED it similar stimuli than a small baby receives from its sensory inputs, the most important one being the visual stimuli.

We can get machines to mimic the processing of our environment which we have identified as reproducible. What you can't teach the machine is our historic adaptation to an unknown future which is stored in the continuous living analog network for which you don't even know which sensors to build. Since you can't know everything that has ever happened, you can know the entropy that is stored in the living network.

But what is more, biological nature cannot clone a brain state, while silicon can very easily clone a brain state.

That difference should have been instructive to you, but for some reason the significance didn't occur to you.

I explained the importance of this in a prior reply:

You still don't seem to understand that the network (i.e. the free market) is alive and dynamic and no one can capture that information ever.

If you tried to extract that information then due to Chaos theory, you'd add to it in the process and then when you tried to extract what you added it to it, you add to it some more. You'd never get to the edge of the universe, because this would require that we don't exist in the first place.

We can't even extract our entropy in order to transfer it to machines. That we can't copy or even measure or know our own entropy but can copy of the entropy of machines is very instructive.

Nature never produces an exact copy of anything. You seem to think even in fertilization that the only input entropy are the genes, but that is not the case. We also have cosmic rays, the environment of the womb, etc and then the environmental stimulus ongoing even from the first cell split of the embryo. Thus the entropy of the human system is not just a few TBs of genes. The fact that you can copy machines indicates their entropy is very low.

You don't seem to understand that a total perspective on information is always contingent on the future outcomes (i.e. to distinguish information from noise requires understanding the future outcomes to which the current body of entropy will be applied) and due to the Butterfly effect then you will egregiously underestimate the possible permutations of outcomes. That is why it is incalculable. And this is also the reason that the network is the vastly greater portion of the entropy and why it is itself also alive. If we had more time and inclination, we could elucidate this more formally.

You are making a major mistake here.

No, you are.

You are perfectly right that it is essentially impossible to reproduce exactly a VERY PARTICULAR brain state: the brain state of Mary on Monday morning.  That will depend on details and is prone to chaotic divergence you talked about.  But we don't need Mary's brain state on Monday morning.  These details don't matter.  If Mary didn't look at a particular movie when she was 7 years old, she would be a different person  last Monday.  But we don't care.  The different Mary will do too.  It will also be an intelligent brain that can think politically, economically, financially and scientifically.  In a totally different way than the Mary version that saw the movie. But that doesn't matter.  The Mary that saw the movie, and the Mary that didn't see the movie, are both human brains that outsmart chimps.  In the same way, the exact brain state our silicon arrives at doesn't matter, if it can outsmart systematically most humans.  This is why chaos theory and so on don't matter in this.

The fact that Mary is a unique derivative of unbounded entropy our living, continuous, analog network is absolutely critical to the point of why the resilience and adaptation of the human system is eons greater than that of the machines.

It is sufficient that the possibility exists, and sooner or later, it will be realized.  As its realization will be irreversible, once is enough.

If everything was random (i.e. instead of unbounded entropy, we had reached infinite entropy and nothing was distinguishable), then we wouldn't even bother talking about a Singularity and machines being evolutionarily superior to humans.

You are totally right that the KIND of society that will evolve is not predictable because prone to chaotically impossible to trace effects, but that's not what I'm talking about.  This kind of discussion is like me saying that a big meteorite is going to hit the earth and this is going to eradicate a lot of species, and you are telling me that I can't know that because I cannot predict the details of every aspect of the collision: where will what piece of rock fly ?  I don't need to do these (indeed impossible) predictions to know that the impact of the meteorite will kill off a lot of species.  I would need to do this impossible thing if I'd have to predict what new species would arise afterwards.  But just predicting the broad lines of the extinction doesn't need to delve into the details.

You don't seem to comprehend that the information stored in the living network is a historic adaptation to those unpredictable events and that you can't know all of it. It is recorded in our living adaptation, but you can't go experience it. It is there, but inaccessible to you. Our living network will react to its environment with that stored entropy but you can't possibly measure not calculate it (because you can't go back in time and experience every thing, and especially not every cell mutation, etc). Top-down knowledge is not complete. The little nuances of differences are what stores the eons of quadrillions (or more!) of historic adaptations.

This is totally wrong.

No, you are incorrect again.

What I'm saying is that, indeed, sending the equation tells you how to calculate Pi.  If there is enough raw computing power, you will be able to calculate the 100 billionth digit, while I sent you under one KB of information.  So *it will be possible to calculate Pi's 100th billionth digit* with just 1 KB of crucial information.  You don't need the more than 100 GB of run-state information to do so.  Thank you for giving an example that illustrates what I'm saying.  That it would be difficult or impossible to predict the EXACT STATE of a network of nodes trying to calculate that digit doesn't change the fact that in the end, that digit can be calculated.  That's the point.  We don't care about the exact state of a particular realisation of that computation.  We only want to show that it is possible, and not even very difficult to do so.

It was the unbounded entropy introduced by the unpredictable communication delay that means the entropy of the equation for Pi is not the entropy of the system. And the point is that the continuous, living human network is going react to that unpredictable environment with its quadrillions (or more!) of historic adaptations which are stored in the knowledge and diversity of the network. But we can't extract or even calculate that pre-existing state which is also an input to the system.

What is nice about the singularity argument, is that you can stop worrying about the world.

You can stop worrying without the Singularity. The human race is well adapted unless the Earth is totally destroyed. And we are approaching extraterrestrial adaptation.
Spoetnik (OP)
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 08:16:21 PM

I got 51% attacked here on my topic by the genius show (Dino vs Shelby)  Cheesy
And you guys when i post comments too long ?
I started skipping most of it guys no offense.. it's just getting to be a bit much  Shocked

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: