Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm out  (Read 2418 times)
grimex (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:56:40 PM

bought some bitcoins hoping to profit from another price spike but got bored at prices idling at $19 and things getting weird as time passed so I withdrew my money and bailed out before an inevitable crash.

good luck to those staying in the game  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:04:40 PM

That's what happens when you try to get rich quick.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:06:06 PM

This is a marathon not a sprint omg

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Bleak Morn

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:21:07 PM

bought some bitcoins hoping to profit from another price spike but got bored at prices idling at $19 and things getting weird as time passed so I withdrew my money and bailed out before an inevitable crash.

I could understand the need to share this attempt at a nugget of wisdom if it contained some kind of rational argument, but to me it comes off as "I am impulsive! You should be too so I feel better able to rationalize my shortcomings!"

I wonder, why would anyone want to say that?

Kind of like a person who loudly announces "Come on! Let's all walk out!" of a theatre if they think the show is crappy, only to be followed by nobody.

Is the forum for an application rooted in individualism the best place to try to get people to hop on your bandwagon? Cheesy
allocater

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:28:29 PM

You know when I was little, I used to think that all the adults who fall for get-rich-quick-schemes are stupid. That they don't know something I do. Now I know it was in fact the other way around. I didn't know something, they did. And they knew: Sometimes these schemes work. They have seen people get rich quick, with no work. I didn't know it could work, I didn't see people get rich. So in summary I now know it is perfectly reasonable for people to think that get-rich-quick-schemes could work, because they can. (1% of the time, but they can)
hessenpepper

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:53:09 PM

Which begs the question, "Why is it stable?"  My bet is some big player is stabilizing it.  So is this person buying or selling?

Selling:
Loads of people discovered Bitcoins recently and want to buy some.  An early adopter with a lot of coins has a vested interest in making Bitcoins a success, so he is selling coins like crazy to keep speculators from creating a bubble (that means you grimex).  Bank of Satoshi Nakamoto perhaps?  This is a good thing.  Hopefully, other speculators will leave and things can stabilize again on their own.

Buying:
Loads of people are dumping Bitcoins and this guy is buying them up.  This seems unlikely.  Why would someone do this at $20?
Xenomorph

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:56:02 PM

This is a marathon not a sprint omg

Yeah, no doubt.

We won't even begin to get an idea of what this stuff is for years.
deadon

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:21:45 PM

Good idea, went further down.
deadon

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:22:47 PM

Also, you shouldn't react to any market emotionally, such as "Being bored" - this mentality is sure to fail in any market. You should always have a clear reason as to why you are entering or exiting.
mjoz

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 08:34:10 PM

I agree this market manipulation is doomed to fail.  You cannot "build up" buyers by putting an artificial ceiling in.  No one is going to invest into anything that is locked in with the dollar.  People invest in high-risk because it yields high return and yes bitcoins is high risk regardless of any stabilizing attempts and is likely to remain so until the volumes and market cap is up.
HaRRo

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 08:39:51 PM

Shouldve been more patient Smiley
Bleak Morn

Activity: 26

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:42:13 PM

You know when I was little, I used to think that all the adults who fall for get-rich-quick-schemes are stupid. That they don't know something I do. Now I know it was in fact the other way around. I didn't know something, they did. And they knew: Sometimes these schemes work. They have seen people get rich quick, with no work. I didn't know it could work, I didn't see people get rich. So in summary I now know it is perfectly reasonable for people to think that get-rich-quick-schemes could work, because they can. (1% of the time, but they can)

The mistaken assumption underlying your statement is that people are interested in BTC to get rich.

I haven't seen that to be the case.

People are interested in BTC because they don't like economic systems that are designed to be meddled with to suit the whims of their controllers.

To me the value in a BTC is not in it's daily price (which only reflects aggregate userbase calculations of supply and demand both in the present and the future) but in the concept that it stands for.

There will always be speculators who don't bother to understand the nature of the commodity underpinning their investiment. The economic ecosystem that's developing takes all kinds to function.  Attempts to regulate such characters away for percieved "unfair" activities, or to manipulate the market so that it "does what we want" are the sort of insanity that gave rise to a need for the BTC alternative in the first place.

Come for the promise of riches, but stay for the promise of liberty. Smiley
rangle32

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:50:34 PM

I think this is going to be the case for many who come to check it out, find its not a fast moving scheme, and lose interest.
Takkun

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:01:44 PM

Have fun
grimex (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:14:26 PM

Looks like I bailed out at the right time  Grin
Madehimself

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:17:44 PM

Looks like I bailed out at the right time  Grin

Sprint wise.

Time will only tell.
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 06:32:53 PM

Thanks for your good wishes man-
still came back to check out the current price on an exchange after bailing out? You just weren't quite sure were you but feel better concluding you made the right decision, the price no longer idle and dropped- in USD terms of course after a day or two-

good luck to you too with your USD, EUR, GBP, CHF or whatever, send my wishes to Bernanke, Trichet, DSK and the gang- and do spread the word about what a boring and stale investment bitcoins are.

Price stable and boring in the BTC/USD pair is quite a statement to make and says alot about where you have been these last months and your understanding, experience and faith in the monetary system.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:38:53 PM

If you jump out of the train while it hasn't reached the station 'cause it's taking too long, you at the very least gonna get a bit bruised, it's safer to sit down and only unbuckle your seatbelts after the vehicle has come to a full and complete stop.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
grimex (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:53:26 AM

If you jump out of the train while it hasn't reached the station 'cause it's taking too long, you at the very least gonna get a bit bruised, it's safer to sit down and only unbuckle your seatbelts after the vehicle has come to a full and complete stop.
I TOLD YOU, hahaaa  Grin

I jumped out of the train before it crashed
coran007

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:24:53 AM

I just jumped in a few days ago but mostly with hardware I already had laying around so not much up front costs.  As to the poster that doesn't think people are in this to get rich quick, well I would says its split between 2 groups, those who want to get rich quick and those who just want to make some money Smiley  ok and maybe a 3rd group, those that need a currency that isn't easily traceable.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: