Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 07:52:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up this forum  (Read 887 times)
AndrewBuck (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:09:59 PM

Doing a bit of poking around the forum for comparison purposes was kind of interesting.  While I was browsing to look up examples for my last post I thought I would have a quick look back at some of the old posts, and I encourage others to do the same.  If you click to the last page of threads you will see a bunch from back in 2011.  Almost without exception they are people offering real services for sale in bitcoins.  Programming, web hostings, vps offerings, offers to teach people things, minecraft hosting, etc.  Now compare that to the current front page of this subforum and you won't find any of that.

-AndrewBuck
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 16759

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 08:23:02 PM

The way you reduce scams is to delete the threads that are scams.
I've read the reason these threads aren't deleted: it creates a false sense of security.
Basically there are 4 options:
A. Thread is legit.
B. Thread is a scam but hard to find evidence for.
C. Thread is legit but suspected to be a scam.
D. Thread is a scam.

While D can easily be deleted, it leaves the risk of deleting C, while B gets away with it. The forum is very clear about it: moderators do not remove likely scams. It's up to the user to understand and investigate, instead of being blinded by money and falling for even the obvious scams.

AndrewBuck (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:37:24 PM

"moderators do not remove likely scams"

And that is what is exactly wrong.  That is why this forum is a cesspool of crap.  Scams, get rich quick schemes, and basically nothing else.

-AndrewBuck
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:45:14 PM

And that is what is exactly wrong.  That is why this forum is a cesspool of crap.  Scams, get rich quick schemes, and basically nothing else.

-AndrewBuck
This is getting quite meta. As for your earlier post
Doing a bit of poking around the forum for comparison purposes was kind of interesting.  While I was browsing to look up examples for my last post I thought I would have a quick look back at some of the old posts, and I encourage others to do the same.  If you click to the last page of threads you will see a bunch from back in 2011.  Almost without exception they are people offering real services for sale in bitcoins.  Programming, web hostings, vps offerings, offers to teach people things, minecraft hosting, etc.  Now compare that to the current front page of this subforum and you won't find any of that.

-AndrewBuck
There are people still offering those things(except the minecraft hosting thing I guess, but you can still make a thread about it and someone is bound to work for you), bitcoin is just more widely used now.

All I see here is "bla bla sig campaigns are bad"(we've had quite a discussion about this before, use the search feature as you yourself suggest) and "I used bitcoin before it was cool".

As for you getting paid to clean up the forum, not happening as far as I can see it . Because :
1) Mods are already paid to do this, and believe me they go through a whole lot actual spam to filter(I know because I can report like 50 a day if I myself worked at it harder)
2) There are better candidates even if theymos decides to take up a staff member. Let me ask you how many posts have you reported? I have reported over 4k and am still 5th or so member with the highest reporting accuracy(+reported posts ofc).
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 2148

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 10:46:18 PM

-AndrewBuck

I think mods simply don't have resources to filter all the crap, this forum has a giant amount of traffic, imagine how much work it would be to investigate each new announcement. But you are wrong saying that community is ignoring this issue, there's Trust System and people who take their time to give negative reputation to scammers, no matter if it's shady ICO, cloud mining or some ponzi scheme. I think this solution is the best we can have right now.
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 10:50:03 PM

It used to be a place for people offering actual services - programming, web development, consulting, legal services.

I know what you're aiming at sir and I know your kind of person
Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: