Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 01:44:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The terrible odyssey of trying to buy a small amount of bitcoins  (Read 645 times)
PurpleDog (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 05:19:37 PM

I am amazed by how hard it is to get on with bitcoin.

Up to now.

My strategy:
  • install one desktop wallet
  • create one webwallet
  • buy some bitcoins from my webwallet using my bank acount
  • move the bitcoins to my desktop wallet
  • make a cold backup

just to see how this whole thing works

My result:
  • zero

Let's see:
  • Download Electrum that for some reason doesn't start on my pc, a problem that others have, too.
  • Installed Multibit on my pc. They seem to use some service called Glidera, to let you buy bitcoins, which just operates in the US (I'm in Europe). But I was going to use some internet wallet for that, so anyways.
  • Created a wallet with Blockchain.info Proceeding to buy, my bank told me there were 7 EUR costs for a 15 EUR transfer. I thought it was my bank's overated charges. Tried to connect a different bank acount. It was impossible. The bank acount is nowhere to see in my Blockchain.info profile.
  • Created second wallet with Blockchain.info in order to connect there a different bank acount only to find out Coinify (which is some other service that "helps" buy bc at Blockchain) connected without asking me my bank acount A to that 2nd Blockchain.info acount. Still not being able to see in my profiles WHICH acount is connected where, I have no picture of my own stuff, there.
  • My bank says it's Coinify's end that charges 6 of the total of 7 EUR. My bank only charges 1 EUR for the transaction. Coinify denies that. So there's 6 EUR that is going to slip into someones pocket and I have no idea whose pocket it is. For the time being I trust my bank saying that it's the other end charging it.
  • I created a wallet with coin.space, since blockchain.info is too unhandy with my bank acounts and their obscure charges. But I don't see no way of buying bc there.

So much about easiness and clarity and trust. And we are talking about money!

Any suggestion which monster I should visit next in this terrible Odyssey to by the miserable sum of 15 bloody bitcoins?
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:07:46 PM

Visit cex.io register and provide your details since you are trying to buy legitimately I don't think you'll face any problems, good luck.

🖤😏
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 06:22:11 PM

Are you trying to buy 15 bitcoins or 15 euros worth?

Local bitcoins is an easy way to obtain, you can buy cash in person or just do a bank transfer and then once bought transfer them out and into your wallet. If you want a lightweight wallet for your phone then i reccomend mycelium (android).

If your only looking for 15 euros worth then there are quite a lot of options to just buy with paypal. Unfortunately its not bitcoin that is difficult , its the current banking systems.

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:27:34 PM

Yeah you can blame the banking system, not bitcoin.

If you want a small amount, get electrum, then go to localbitcoins, find a seller, make the deal, and recieve your bitcoin in your electrum wallet. How is this so difficult anyway?

If you want bigger amounts, then you will need bitcoin core for maximun security, and store them there. Maybe localbitcoins is not the best for big amounts and you should look for an exchange.
c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:29:56 PM

Use localbitcoins and put a mycellium wallet on your phone (you can scan QR codes that way...makes it easy). Use mycellium on your phone for your initial acquisition of BTC...very easy. From mycellium, you can transfer to your electrum laptop/desktop.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
PurpleDog (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:39:35 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2017, 06:55:31 PM by PurpleDog

Visit cex.io register and provide your details since you are trying to buy legitimately I don't think you'll face any problems, good luck.

Gee the ask LOTS of stuff. Why do they need my tax number? :/

And I understand this is not actually a wallet, is it?

If you want a small amount, get electrum, then go to localbitcoins, find a seller, make the deal, and recieve your bitcoin in your electrum wallet. How is this so difficult anyway?

First of all, like I said, electrum won't run on my pc. You can check the link I provided in my first post.

Secondly, from the lot of steps you provided I wouldn't know how to go to localbitcoins and find a seller. Of course I will search and find out. That's what I've doing up to now. Searching, trying things out and up to now not much has worked for me.

It is one of the hardest and most obscured processes I have seen, to someone who want to get started.

Use localbitcoins and put a mycellium wallet on your phone (you can scan QR codes that way...makes it easy). Use mycellium on your phone for your initial acquisition of BTC...very easy. From mycellium, you can transfer to your electrum laptop/desktop.

I would like to avoid my smartphone, since it is something that can easily get lost or stolen, but eventually, and since not much else works for my, I suppose I'll have to get this one in the play, too.
c789

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 06:44:08 PM

I would like to avoid my smartphone, since it is something that can easily get lost or stolen, but eventually, and since not much else works for my, I suppose I'll have to get this one in the play, too.

That's a good point, and fortunately I have a good answer for you. When you set up mycellium (and electrum for that matter), you'll be shown a series of words called a word seed. Be absolutely sure to write this down and double-check that you copied it accurately. Store it somewhere safe. Then, if your phone is lost or stolen, you can use your seed words to restore your account (and coins) on another device.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 06:57:03 PM

I've been trying to buy Bitcoin for over a year. I don't want to use on-line services, and local bitcoins has massive spreads by all the sellers in my area.

My current plan is to offer some domain names for sale, and to try to persuade buyers to pay with Bitcoin.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
c789

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 07:00:07 PM

I've been trying to buy Bitcoin for over a year. I don't want to use on-line services, and local bitcoins has massive spreads by all the sellers in my area.

My current plan is to offer some domain names for sale, and to try to persuade buyers to pay with Bitcoin.

Most of them will negotiate. If they're advertising 12% above market, chances are they'll take 10%. At least it worked that way for me.

LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2017, 07:03:43 PM

If what the guy told you about using mycelium is just too hard for you to do with security issues being a major concern to you. Then just wait until ledger blu comes out. Wink

It comes in tablet form and lets you do everything from there.

That's it. Quite simple to understand if you don't want to mess around with all these different devices and problems. Well that is what I am seeing from your original post you are getting frustrated with about getting a simple small amount secured.
PurpleDog (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 07:12:12 PM

But I'd expect some solution now and not having to wait for something to come out (and eventually not work for me, either).

Anyway, I'm checking localbitcoins.com now. Do I understand it correctly that you buy from 3rd parties there where you don't know whether they are going to give you the BC you are paying for?

Is there really no web wallet where you can just buy some bitcoins and transfer them to ur desktop wallet? Really?
PurpleDog (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 07:37:42 PM

btw at localcoins the best trade is at : 1072.59 EUR

when at Blockchain.info the rate now is at : 1,047.52 EUR

c789

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 07:45:21 PM

But I'd expect some solution now and not having to wait for something to come out (and eventually not work for me, either).

Anyway, I'm checking localbitcoins.com now. Do I understand it correctly that you buy from 3rd parties there where you don't know whether they are going to give you the BC you are paying for?

Is there really no web wallet where you can just buy some bitcoins and transfer them to ur desktop wallet? Really?

Localbitcoins (LB) acts as the intermediary. The seller loads his BTC to his account on localbitcoins. Then, after you pay the seller, LB releases the BTC to you. It's pretty low-risk. I've done it many times and never had a problem.

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 6365

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 07:56:50 PM

@PurpleDog: I think you are confusing some things. There is no need to use "the official exchange" of a wallet service like Blockchain.info (and Multibit). Wallets and exchanges are separate things. So you can use any exchange with any wallet - for example, Blockchain.info with Bitstamp or Kraken. You can even use the exchange as a wallet - but I don't recommend that as then you don't have Bitcoins but only IOUs and many exchanges already have got bankrupt.

For Euro/BTC exchange I recommend you to use an exchange service like Bitstamp.com or Kraken.com. Bitstamp doesn't charge any fee for EUR deposits and the fee to convert the EUR into BTC is 0,25%. Kraken has similar prices, as far as I know. Sellers who accept credit cards and similar payments and also the "official Blockchain.info service" are often much more expensive.

Localbitcoin is also a good solution, for buying it's pretty safe. As c789 writes they have an escrow service. (for selling it's a bit more complicated as there are possibilities for the buyers to scam you, e.g. with stolen bank accounts).

(Edit: Ah, I see that you have already installed a desktop wallet. Then you don't need a web wallet, only an exchange like Bitstamp, you can transfer the BTC directly from there to your desktop wallet, with no cost.)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:16:43 PM

Are you trying to buy 15 bitcoins or 15 euros worth?

Local bitcoins is an easy way to obtain, you can buy cash in person or just do a bank transfer and then once bought transfer them out and into your wallet. If you want a lightweight wallet for your phone then i reccomend mycelium (android).

If your only looking for 15 euros worth then there are quite a lot of options to just buy with paypal. Unfortunately its not bitcoin that is difficult , its the current banking systems.

While the thread's title says "trying to buy a small amount of bitcoins", PurpleDog's first post says he's trying to buy "15 bloody bitcoins". Fifteen Bitcoins is not a small amount. Today they would cost a total of €15736,

To buy small amounts you can use the site linked below to search for the nearest Bitcoin ATM to you. There is usually a hefty fee for buying from a Bitcoin ATM, but it's fast and simple.

https://coinatmradar.com/

For 15 Bitcoins I would recommend buying from big exchanges like Bitstamp or the Kraken. However those exchanges want proof of identity like passport, and bank statement scans.

https://www.kraken.com/

https://www.bitstamp.net/

Any suggestion which monster I should visit next in this terrible Odyssey to by the miserable sum of 15 bloody bitcoins?
PurpleDog (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:23:08 PM

thanks for all the kind and useful replies! Smiley

as for the amount, i was talking about 15 EUR

for a 15 EUR transfer.

but indeed, my tongue slipped towards the end, sorry.
PurpleDog (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:33:14 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2017, 08:56:16 PM by PurpleDog

and the odyssey continues. I gave an order for a transfer of 20 EUR via ebanking, to my bank, in order to buy the BC equivalent in Blockchain.info.

And then I get an email from Coinify to pay 2000 EUR!!!

Here's the evidence.

What do you make of it?

Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:43:08 PM

I faced the same kind problem like a month ago. I am abroad now and I totally forgot my card's password. So I was trying to buy bitcoins and to transfer it to my boyfriend to he cash it out on his local card here. But I didn't succeed.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:58:08 PM

Check bittylicious. I think you can buy with a card in the EU. There's a premium but not any more horrific than most p2p places. Buyable amounts start at about 15 Euros or so. Bitstamp has opened up for card purchases too but you might need to send them a stool sample to get an account.

Multibit has been sold by the original developers and has had some weird problems recently so I'd shop elsewhere.
SaShiRaJaVu

Activity: 1694
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 08:58:45 PM

and the odyssey continues. I gave an order for a transfer of 20 EUR via ebanking, to my bank, in order to buy the BC equivalent in Blockchain.info.

And then I get an email from Coinify to pay 2000 EUR!!!

Here's the evidence.

What do you make of it?

It is really weird to see this kind of error from coinify, you should have contacted their customer support to clarify things up and it might be a software glitch to show 2000 EUR instead of 20 .Did you contact their customer care to settle this up and if so what did they tell you regarding this mess up.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: