Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:17:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are people getting greedy again so soon??  (Read 5305 times)
gmiwenht (OP)

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:47:30 PM

"Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful."
― Warren Buffett

I used to be a huge bull up until the crash. I am no longer trading due to personal circumstances. But in general, I think that to be successful you have to know when to adjust your views. Those who are stubborn get burned.

This is how I see it:

1xsBEUVzo6EtAST5Bq96AztiTR5mBXNzt
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:50:16 PM

I think the greedy and shortsighted were the ones selling

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:52:01 PM

"Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful."
― Warren Buffett

I used to be a huge bull up until the crash. I am no longer trading due to personal circumstances. But in general, I think that to be successful you have to know when to adjust your views. Those who are stubborn get burned.

This is how I see it:

Exploit the greed. Sell high buy low. Repeat over and over.  Double, triple your profit.
Brushan

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:52:43 PM

It's a free market. How should we lower the price when people want to have bitcoins? You can't forbid them to buy and they also can't buy it cheaper than anyone is willing to sell.
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:55:45 PM

I used to be a huge bull up until the crash.

i.e:

It made sense to buy when cost $200, but now that its <$100, its obviously overpriced.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
GraphicImpulse

Activity: 66

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:03:36 PM

i.e:

It made sense to buy when cost $200, but now that its <$100, its obviously overpriced.

LOL

+1
gmiwenht (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:08:02 PM

i.e:

No. i.e. the market changed fundamentally following the events of Apr 10. We are not in a bull market any more. And just like when we were in a bull market, any dips were temporary and quickly rebounded (e.g. Valentine's Day), in the same way when we are in a bear market any rallies are temporary and bound to collapse. You can still make money ("bulls make money, bears make money ...") but you need to be able to read the situation and adapt to changes as they occur, and failure to do so due to stubbornness will fuck you up ("... and pigs get slaughtered").

In other words, there is nothing wrong with being a bull or being a bear. But it's not some tribal affiliation that you need to keep for life. Truly successful investors know when to change their mind and switch between the two.

mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:10:07 PM

The market changed how?

Bitcoins are not any less useful this week.

What changed was that people freaked and sold.

The people who are getting greedy now aren't even the same people.

They are new investors that just learned about bitcoin and want a part of it.
gmiwenht (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:14:46 PM

The market changed how?

Exactly. Bitcoins did not change. THE MARKET changed.

The technology underlying the asset does not affect the emotions of traders. We are now in a bear market, which means the trend is DOWN. If someone disagrees with this, I would like to hear what exactly changed between April 15 and today that is getting people so pumped again. I can't see any reasons other than short-term memory and greed.

Brushan

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:25:15 PM

The market changed how?

The technology underlying the asset does not affect the emotions of traders. We are now in a bear market, which means the trend is DOWN. If someone disagrees with this, I would like to hear what exactly changed between April 15 and today that is getting people so pumped again. I can't see any reasons other than short-term memory and greed.

Media coverage, new stores accepting BTC everyday, news about infrastructure being upgraded, plans on opening proffesional exchange in London etc.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:30:44 PM

The situation is very different now, lots of new people buying bitcoins and strong support building up at $70-$80-$90. I don't think it's another greed and delusion phase, we're slowly moving up with strong support following behind it. We didn't have that before. Still there is great resistance and selling pressure at $100 though, so it might be a bumpy ride before we confidently get through this barrier. I doubt we are going below $80 again barring some really bad news which could always happen. The buying pressure is truly scary when we dive below 90, the person who tried to trigger a panic sell last night with his 5k coins found that out the hard way. Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:50:02 PM

The market changed how?

The only reason bitcoin crashed in the first place is to "short-term memory and greed" by that logic.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:57:19 PM

'Biggest crash' huh? maybe by value lost, but in terms of % this is small.

Brushan

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:11:23 PM

I actually think that the crash made more people believers than doubters.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:20:00 PM

I'd say people aren't anymore or less greedy than they were before. Many people believe we simply had a much needed correction, and a bottom arrived in the 50s. There is plenty of media still taking bitcoin seriously rather than just dismissing it as a failed bubble. They discuss volatility and 'last weeks high' rather than laughing it off. That causes other people to take is seriously too including the 20,000+ a day of new people signing up to MtGox. Many of these people are get quick rich newbs, but plenty of others will genuinely love the concept and will join as new 'true believers.'
Geist

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:29:24 PM

That causes other people to take is seriously too including the 20,000+ a day of new people signing up to MtGox. Many of these people are get quick rich newbs, but plenty of others will genuinely love the concept and will join as new 'true believers.'
What if I truly believe in the concept and believe I will get rich from it at the same time(we're still early adopters, a few years into the future, if it achieves widespread adoption, having 1 bit coin will be like having a gold bar)?

Looks like this is my...
(•_•) | ( •_•)>⌐■-■ | (⌐■_■)
...signature. YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:30:29 PM

That causes other people to take is seriously too including the 20,000+ a day of new people signing up to MtGox. Many of these people are get quick rich newbs, but plenty of others will genuinely love the concept and will join as new 'true believers.'
What if I truly believe in the concept and believe I will get rich from it at the same time(we're still early adopters, a few years into the future, if it achieves widespread adoption, having 1 bit coin will be like having a gold bar)?
Then wonderful. What I meant was get rich quick types who are going to panic quickly and do stupid things with their money. Weakhands.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:38:28 PM

I'm seeing this all the time, both in these forums and surrounding me. People saying "nice it popped, now I can get on board and wait for the next bubble"

Kinda sad and pathetic if you ask me

checkers6676

Activity: 128

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:39:53 PM

A circle on a graph saying a rally is short term memory and greed, and you insisting that we are in a bear market, does not create the reality that we are in a bear market. The price went down into the 50s and met an incredibly strong support, and that support has followed the price all the way up into the 90s. People saw that bitcoin has the potential to be $200+, they saw that is has crashed in the past and recovered. The mindset now is get in cheap because whether it goes up tomorrow or a month from now, its going up. Sorry you missed the cheap buy-in point, but its not too late to get in for you Wink
awakening

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:40:23 PM

And one hundred  Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: