Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:26:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Very slow coinabul finally refunded me.  (Read 5847 times)
Virtuall (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:30:20 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 02:25:35 PM by Virtuall

UPDATE: May 29, 2013, 02:26:20 PM

Today I got refunded!!!

I got 1.78BTC back.

End update

I was ordered a 5gr bar from them 3 days ago, but after I placed my order I came here to check the opinions about Coinabul.

Then I changed my mind and claimed a refund.

I wish I was doing it inversely. Tried to contact them numerous times. I sent them messages through their contact page, I emailed them to Jon@coinabul.com and to contact@coinabul.com then I messaged to user Coinabul here.

I didn't get any answer yet. Huh
nomabitva

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:33:45 PM

That sucks. Let us know if they make things right.
Doomsby

Activity: 31

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:42:09 PM

How long has it been? It is kind of rough to start calling scammer if you have not waited a few days for a response, many emails =/= faster response.  Wink
Doomsby

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 08:51:46 PM

My point is just try not to jump to conclusions.

You may very well be right, refunds are really just based on rep. with bitcoins, once you send em that decision is final.
geeknik

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 09:08:23 PM

Isn't 3 days a little quick to be calling someone a scammer? Maybe there are extenuating circumstances and hopefully this all gets sorted and everyone is happy. =)
Doomsby

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:35:11 PM

Not yet  Wink
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 09:49:10 PM

It seems reasonable for him to protect himself from people who would get the gold if gold price goes up, or ask for a refund if BTC price goes up.
JaneY

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 09:54:11 PM

Bitcoins are designed so people can't do chargebacks. It's in the vendors favor, so you must be sure before you order. You can't really just change your mind and request a refund.
Some vendors have kind of taken advantage of refunds when it comes to bitcoins, if the value of bitcoins has gone down they will refund the bitcoins paid, if the value of of bitcoins has gone up they will refund
the usd amount paid in bitcoins. They means when it comes to refunds, heads vendor wins, tails vendor wins. But as mentioned if their explanation is correct then they are just protecting themselves.
abigfish

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 10:57:15 PM

I cant see how you decided to spend 3.3 btc without checking for references first...anyways please be more careful. I am sorry to hear this happened to you ...

Coinabul seems to have been scammed a lot of people from what i read all around.
I have no personal insight on this matter except for what I've read...and imo he was once an honest and big trader and than boof ...decided to scam close his shop by taking lots of orders and not honoring none...unless im mistaking Smiley
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 12:53:36 AM

Everyone...I doubt OP would be calling Coinabul scammers after 3 days if it was the first incident of them acting shady. If you ask me, not hearing anything for 3 days alone would be a red flag. All the stuff I've read about them on here makes that x 10. And Coinabul was one of the foremost companies accepting bitcoins before they turned scammers, so I have pity on you OP. I hope you get it figured out. Nearly ALL my dealings in precious metals w/bitcoins I do with amagimetals.com. Yet to be disappointed.
abigfish

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 09:09:44 PM

IMO this is a HUGE BITCOIN risk ... really well established sellers abuse the fact that Bitcoin is anonymous and hard to track/regain back ...and after a time of legit biz they seem to turn darkside and boom ...take all of a sudden 20-30 big orders and than poof vanish into thin air....

most likely they will also open up a new exact same biz and repeat this again after being established....
same happens with some sellers on silk etc etc..

huge bitcoin issue... its protection and anonymity motivates some established sellers to close shop with a big scam after a while Sad ...
slacker

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:09:34 PM

Today I got this message from contact@coinabul.com:

I understand your frustration, but since I'd have to issue your refund at current market rates I figured an equivalent value of gold would be more ideal. Since you currently own metal as opposed to BTC, I would have to purchase your metal value back from you at the current market rate and send this value to you, as well as the cost of shipping that you paid, via purchasing BTC at current market rates. Let me know which is preferred.

I think that this is fair (except that long response period -  the reputable merchant should give you answer within 24 hours).

Still nothing... Angry

Did you answered to the message from coinabul? And what you choose - gold or bitcoins?

If this is a small business (one man show) it is normal to wait for several days for response. Especially if this merchant is very popular and have many customers.
slacker

Activity: 43

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 08:13:26 PM

Of course! I answered their message in three hours and I choosed bitcoins - what I didn't received yet.

Maybe the owner of this website is very busy (many Bitcoin based businesses don't have employees beside the owner).
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:38:41 PM

It seems a lot of the 'We accept bitcoins' sites that deal in precious metals etc have a bad habit of 'holding BTC hostage' when value increases or decreases quickly. I guess it's a form of 'douchebag arbitrage' where they hope to make money on the diff if you want refund etc.

I would vet seller VERY carefully before shopping with BTC, especially in valuable goods.
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:45:09 AM

Then I changed my mind and claimed a refund.

You changed your mind. How is that grounds for labeling someone a scammer?

The way I read it, they are way too kind even offering to buy your metals back. The reason bitcoins are cheaper for merchants is because transactions are final.

Volatility would make refunds especially tricky. You could just order and then change your mind every time bitcoins got more valuable, and let the transaction proceed every time bitcoins got less valuable. That way the merchant would only be on the losing side of the forex risk every time, and it would be a sure way to scam them of their money.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:03:55 AM

Always do your research first
Your poor research into what you were getting into is not grounds for calling anyone a scammer

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:17:03 AM

They want to buy my metal back at current market rates, which means that I lost arond BTC1.2...

Oh noes!! They offer to buy back at MARKET RATE! That is clearly the mark of a scammer!

It's nice of them to let you change your mind, but you also want them to buy back over market rate? Please.
C4th

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:57:23 AM

this thread is kind of an example why btc is not great as currency
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 12:17:22 PM

this thread is kind of an example why btc is not great as currency
what? lol

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
wtzr

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 01:33:57 PM

hmm , just wanted to buy something there...

Buy gold and silver with Bitcoins  | bitgild.com | bitgoud.nl
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: