Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:34:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues solo mining GUIminer OpenCl  (Read 1766 times)
daggeteo (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:10:39 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 09:32:54 PM by daggeteo

Hi,
I'm using a HD5850 card to mine. I usually mine in pools but wanted to try out solomining just for fun (ie. I know it's a waste of resources). I pretty much followed this guide - http://sonothing.weebly.com/1/post/2013/03/solo-bitcoin-mining-with-bitcoin-qt-and-guiminer.html

The issue I'm having is that my hashrate solo mining is around 150 khash/s when I usually am able to squeeze out at least 270 Mhash/s otherwise. So I tried CGminer and that one worked just fine solomining meaning I got around 270 Mhash/s.

However I prefer OpenCL over CGminer since it has the nice throttling capability with the -s flag.What have I missed? I assume my setup is alright since the issue only pertains to OpenCL.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: Clarification I'm mining BTC, which is why the 150 khash/s feels way low on a GPU.
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:25:53 PM

Can't help with why the OpenCL miner is giving you a lower hashrate directly (not familiar enough with it to know what -s does exactly), but have you checked the CGminer thread thread in the Mining | Software sub-forum?  There are lots of switches and you can probably throttle that way? I know you can use -I for intensity, and can use "-I d" to keep it relatively low.  I use this machine for work all day and am mining in the background and have good performance..

Wait, rereading your post, I see khash and then mhash.  Are you mining BTC or LTC ?  Mhash makes sense for BTC but khash only for LTC, unless that is one huge drop between CGMiner and OpenCL, which doesn't make much sense.

If you're solo-mining, BTC, even though it's for fun, I understand, you know the chances of actually hitting a block are about zero, so you're losing the opportunity to earn what you could in a pool in the interim, right?

Good luck.
daggeteo (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:32:11 PM

Can't help with why the OpenCL miner is giving you a lower hashrate directly (not familiar enough with it to know what -s does exactly), but have you checked the CGminer thread thread in the Mining | Software sub-forum?  There are lots of switches and you can probably throttle that way? I know you can use -I for intensity, and can use "-I d" to keep it relatively low.  I use this machine for work all day and am mining in the background and have good performance..

Wait, rereading your post, I see khash and then mhash.  Are you mining BTC or LTC ?  Mhash makes sense for BTC but khash only for LTC, unless that is one huge drop between CGMiner and OpenCL, which doesn't make much sense.

If you're solo-mining, BTC, even though it's for fun, I understand, you know the chances of actually hitting a block are about zero, so you're losing the opportunity to earn what you could in a pool in the interim, right?

Good luck.

Thanks for quick reply!

At the moment I'm not using the -s flag for the OpenCL since it is giving low rates. I'll look up the switches you're refering to. The only one I've used so far was intensity and when setting -I 1 it would still use 50% of the gpus performance when I'd like to throttle it even harder.

I'm mining BTC, I should've stated that in my initial post, my bad!

I am well aware of the chances being slim to none Smiley I equate it to buying a lottery ticket (that only costs a few cents in electricity).
Gws24

Activity: 537
Merit: 524

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:45:15 PM

Hi, i am mining with a 5770 and i used the following settings for guiminer (now using cgminer):

If you followed the guide you linked to then you made a bitcoin.conf file in c:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. In the guide however the only thing mentioned is a password and username to be put in the conf file. The contents om my conf file contains more then that (found this on the forum somewhere):

rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=pass
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8332
daemon=1
server=1
gen=0

block_nTime=1317972665
block_nNonce=2084524493

With these settings i get 150 MH/s (without the s flag around 200).

For what it's worth even with these settings i also experienced hashrates in the kH/s but that only occurred after switching back and forth between cgminer and guiminer; i was also tweaking my memory and core frequencies at the same time. A restart of my pc solved it!
daggeteo (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:54:44 AM

Hi, i am mining with a 5770 and i used the following settings for guiminer (now using cgminer):

http://i48.tinypic.com/ngu6p5.png

If you followed the guide you linked to then you made a bitcoin.conf file in c:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. In the guide however the only thing mentioned is a password and username to be put in the conf file. The contents om my conf file contains more then that (found this on the forum somewhere):

rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=pass
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=8332
daemon=1
server=1
gen=0

block_nTime=1317972665
block_nNonce=2084524493

With these settings i get 150 MH/s (without the s flag around 200).

For what it's worth even with these settings i also experienced hashrates in the kH/s but that only occurred after switching back and forth between cgminer and guiminer; i was also tweaking my memory and core frequencies at the same time. A restart of my pc solved it!

I updated the conf-file with the settings you provided as well as a restart of the PC. It only boosted it slightly So now I'm up to 325 khash/s, hehe at least some improvement Smiley

Here's a screen of my flags etc. The bubble in the bottom says there're 8 active connections. I doubt that is the reason since CGminer is able to achieve good rates.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7067820/bitcointalkhelp.png
Gws24

Activity: 537
Merit: 524

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:59:23 PM

settings look ok, the only thing you could change that i can think of is the server from other to solo (i believe other is meant for other pools).
daggeteo (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 10:02:53 PM

settings look ok, the only thing you could change that i can think of is the server from other to solo (i believe other is meant for other pools).

Thanks, didn't realize that I had done so. Didn't make a difference though. I guess this isn't meant to be :/ I'll buy a lottery ticket instead Smiley
mepsipax

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:50:58 AM

If you are still needing help with this - you need to untick 'CPU infinity' within GuiMiner, the program will then use your GPU for mining, and your hashrates should improve.

TB2MDU-WEZH5M-ODG4FI-6TWSTO-VVLAKO-TVIZO7-4XCK
daggeteo (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 03:47:44 PM

If you are still needing help with this - you need to untick 'CPU infinity' within GuiMiner, the program will then use your GPU for mining, and your hashrates should improve.

Thanks, I gave up on this and switched to CGminer. but I appreciate the reply! Hopefully someone with similar issues will find help from it Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: