Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:04:04 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Store data on the "Blockchain"?  (Read 412 times)
BlackJacky (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 08:43:03 AM

Guys, I have a business case and I would like to ask the community which solution could help.

Lets say there is a company and they want to store very sensitive personal data but instead to store the data themself, they assign another company to store the data for them. They outsource the storing of the data because if they get hacked, the reputation damage would be too high. Is there a blockchain offering such a service? I was thinking about MaidSafe.

Thanks
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 08:48:36 AM

If the data stored is of such sensitive nature, how would letting a third party help in the case of a breach? The data would still be out regardless of who and how it was compromised?
BlackJacky (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 08:57:01 AM

If the data stored is of such sensitive nature, how would letting a third party help in the case of a breach? The data would still be out regardless of who and how it was compromised?

Currently the company is assigning a third party to store the data. Question is if you could get rid off the third party and just store it decentralized?
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 09:11:09 AM

Currently the company is assigning a third party to store the data. Question is if you could get rid off the third party and just store it decentralized?

So, basically instead of storing the data at one external party, the idea is storing the data on multiple external parties?
Sure, a decentralized database can be done, but at the cost of efficiency.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 09:13:05 AM

MAIDSAFE can do that, also check out this projects:

https://storj.io/
https://sia.tech/

The data is as safe as your capacity to keep private keys safe.

You can store data safely in any cloud storage if you encrypt it and keep the keys safe.

digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 09:29:01 AM

I have a question for long and I couldn't find an answer any where, when you write a public note attached to your transaction it has a size right?
But it wont effect the transaction itself or the fee, now where is it stored and can someone change it after the transaction is confirmed?

🖤😏
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 09:45:07 AM

I have a question for long and I couldn't find an answer any where, when you write a public note attached to your transaction it has a size right?
But it wont effect the transaction itself or the fee, now where is it stored and can someone change it after the transaction is confirmed?

Check this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/OP_RETURN

I believe current size is 40 bytes.

requester

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 01:29:29 PM

i think there is no way t store data on blockchain as they are only linked with bitcoin and transaction and not any personal information and 3rd party  informations but there's  lot of website  and services that allow websites to store and out source data.
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 05:49:03 PM

like @ETFbitcoin said, why do you think you need a public blockchain?
from what you said, a "simple" private database would be enough and way more secure(with the proper backup tool).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: