Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:00:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Headline: Bitcoin Buzz Draws Western Union, MoneyGram  (Read 3935 times)
checkers6676 (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:16:52 PM

http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/04/18/bitcoin-buzz-draws-western-union-moneygram/

aaaaaand....speculate!

http://mashable.com/2013/04/02/western-union-bitcoin/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324493704578431000719258048.html
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 10:34:22 PM

I don't understand what they're proposing they do. Using Western Union to transfer BTC would be like using a team of horses to deliver a car.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:42:10 PM

I don't understand what they're proposing they do. Using Western Union to transfer BTC would be like using a team of horses to deliver a car.
LOL! I'd say the best thing they could do would be become a local exchange. A place to quickly sell and buy bitcoin in perhaps even large amounts. I've never used the company so I have no idea how they work, but local exchanges already located in cities across the world would be incredibly useful.
checkers6676 (OP)

Activity: 128

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:44:01 PM

Perhaps the company itself would use bitcoin as a tool to transfer funds internationally, and as a result cut down on their overhead so they can put more money in their own pockets while charging customers the same fees?
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:47:04 PM

I think you guys fail to understand the gravity of the situation.

WU literally could, with extremely little effort, turn every single WU place into the equivalent of a Bitcoin ATM.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

Perhaps the company itself would use bitcoin as a tool to transfer funds internationally, and as a result cut down on their overhead so they can put more money in their own pockets while charging customers the same fees?

Or they could reduce their fees. The first one to embrace Bitcoin would get a jump on the competition

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:51:09 PM

Or they could reduce their fees. The first one to embrace Bitcoin would get a jump on the competition
It would require them becoming an exchanger to do so, unless they want to suddenly stop working the moment gox goes down.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:52:27 PM

WU literally could, with extremely little effort, turn every single WU place into the equivalent of a Bitcoin ATM.
Yeah, that is pretty much what I was saying with the 'local exchanges'. They already have the infrastructure across the globe. Cheesy Grin
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 10:52:30 PM

I think they are mainly concerned with the competition. (No not Bitcoin itself, stupid), but rather the lots of small electronic cash providers who are attached to Bitcoin in one way or the other.
Paxum, Dwolla, OKpay, and so on.
NamelessOne
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:53:38 PM

I think they are mainly concerned with the competition. (No not Bitcoin itself, stupid), but rather the lots of small electronic cash providers who are attached to Bitcoin in one way or the other.
That is a good point and they would be smart to act quickly.
impulse

Activity: 151

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:53:44 PM

This is true. With their existing infrastructure they could instantly become the defacto Bitcoin exchange and Bitcoin bank while barely lifting a finger and expand their business into a whole new world. Western Union could in essence be Bitcoins "killer app".
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:55:49 PM

And they could also make a killing in fees until some competition arises.
A match made in heaven. I never thought I would say that, but go Western Union!  Grin
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 10:56:48 PM

They could become money changers for fiat <--> BTC, making it facebook-level simple for anyone to transfer wealth more quickly across the globe

Oh god please this.

This would murder Gox in one swell foop.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:58:22 PM

Western union simply realizes that bitcoin will make their entire business model obsolete. Which leaves them 2 options "beat um" or "join um." since bitcoin is decentralized they cant "beat um" which leaves only "join um". So it isnt really relevant specifically how they use bitcoin, they just know that they have to find SOME way to use it or they are doomed.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
just1nmc

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:02:44 PM

Sent them an e-mail. Any kind of integration with WU would be huge for bitcoin.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 11:06:08 PM

I'm not sure but my gut says they won't. Their profit margin is simply too high to be thinking about direct completion. My bet would be some sort of marketing campaign.
NikolaTesla

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:51:45 PM

It's a pretty smart move, if you think about it. Customers would still just work with their fiat, and WU would insulate them from the bitcoin part of it, while the bitcoin is used simply to speed up the transfer. Then the customer can be told their $ can now be transfered in mere minutes.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:54:13 PM

I'm not sure but my gut says they won't. Their profit margin is simply too high to be thinking about direct completion. My bet would be some sort of marketing campaign.

Not even close.  Take a look at their 7-year stock ticker.  They're hurting.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/wu/interactive-chart

Bitcoin as their back end transfer mechanism could save them a ton - and the logical step from there would be to own the exchange market more solidly than Gox has ever dreamt of.

They could do a lot worse.  Actually, they are...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 12:13:37 AM

Not even close.  Take a look at their 7-year stock ticker.  They're hurting.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/wu/interactive-chart

Bitcoin as their back end transfer mechanism could save them a ton - and the logical step from there would be to own the exchange market more solidly than Gox has ever dreamt of.

They could do a lot worse.  Actually, they are...

I don't know enough about stocks to judge that.
But I imagine their shareholders wouldn't react too kindly to something like that, even if it were possible. Those people probably are holding the stock because of it's a "conservative" one, those who are looking for a speculative stock are long gone anyway, and I doubt they will look back.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 12:22:23 AM

I don't know enough about stocks to judge that.

Price go down = bad.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: