Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:21:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMP - does anyone know the arrangement they have with banks?  (Read 4096 times)
michaelGedi (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:27:35 PM

Basically I was part of the Bitcoin-24 problem... I lost a fair bit of money.

Threw the rest of my spare into Bitstmp and have withdrawn my coins...

THE LAST thing I, or anyone else for that matter, wants, is to turn around after a coin sale and find out Bitstamp didn't cover it's tracks legally for the huge amount of funds coming out of their banks.

Anyone with any information? I am searching now and will post if I find, I have also asked them to let me know via a support ticket.

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btcmind

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:23:28 PM

good question. counterparty risk is significant, given recent events.

Bank name:   Unicredit banka Slovenija d.d.

IBAN:   SI56290000170073837
BIC (SWIFT):   BACXSI22
Paul89273

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:24:39 AM

Do you trust Slovenian banks? I don't

Have you considered Bitcoin.de? I've had good experiences with them so far and they seem to have a decent setup and reputation
michaelGedi (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:35:33 AM

Do you trust Slovenian banks? I don't

Have you considered Bitcoin.de? I've had good experiences with them so far and they seem to have a decent setup and reputation

yeah good point, but Bitstamp's service is great... very professional.

They did recently change their bank account so I assume that's them keeping their eye on the ball - but I need to know before I keep trading there... all BTC are in wallet for now tucked away

Will look at Bitcoin.de thanks

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

dtuur

Activity: 37

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:55:04 AM

They are very aware of the Unicredit risk. Are now in the process of changing banks, a well capitalized US bank is their most likely candidate. Announcement about this probably soon. Meanwhile: don't keep your euros/dollars in your Bitstamp account.
michaelGedi (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 01:20:59 PM

"We are deeply aware of all possible security issues when it comes to the concern of banking security. We have already implemented a process that prevents fraud and money laundering, the evidence of which you can see here: https://www.bitstamp.net/account/verify/

We have also appointed a MLRO staff member who oversees all daily operations and bank transaction in order to ensure that we are preemptively in complacence with any such laws and regulations and we are also in constant contact with out bank making sure we are compliant."

Paul89273

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 04:38:01 PM

They did recently change their bank account so I assume that's them keeping their eye on the ball - but I need to know before I keep trading there... all BTC are in wallet for now tucked away

TBH I think every exchange is a risk, I'm sure it's nice getting prompt replies compared to Mt Gox or BTC-e but

The reason why I didn't use Bitstamp is because I sent them an email asking about their bank agreements, I wanted more details and didn't get a reply. I could have been unlucky I guess but no reply = no business.

As I mentioned, I don't like the fact they bank in Slovenia.

BTW Bitcoin.de just announced they are in talks with their bank to see if customers can have bank accounts linked to their Bitcoins so that you have full control of your assets. THIS would be a major step forward! Announcement could be a couple of weeks away though, very professional setup over there! I've been very pleased so far.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1cldhc/

michaelGedi (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:40:43 PM

TBH I think every exchange is a risk, I'm sure it's nice getting prompt replies compared to Mt Gox or BTC-e but

The reason why I didn't use Bitstamp is because I sent them an email asking about their bank agreements, I wanted more details and didn't get a reply. I could have been unlucky I guess but no reply = no business.

As I mentioned, I don't like the fact they bank in Slovenia.

BTW Bitcoin.de just announced they are in talks with their bank to see if customers can have bank accounts linked to their Bitcoins so that you have full control of your assets. THIS would be a major step forward! Announcement could be a couple of weeks away though, very professional setup over there! I've been very pleased so far.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1cldhc/

not sure about their exchange engine though, I haven't used it but the site doesn't feel very "real time"

Pinwheel

Activity: 378

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 08:09:40 PM

next day or same day withdrawal always, real good experience.

Tom Waits: We should just start as soon as possible cause we might catch a rabbit before we have our pants on. (Juxtapoz)
dtuur

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:44:09 PM

They are now changing, very likely towards a much more capitalized US bank.  Expect an announcement soon.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2013, 01:50:41 PM

not sure about their exchange engine though, I haven't used it but the site doesn't feel very "real time"

Because it isn't a normal floating exchange like Mtgox or Bitstamp, it only provides a platform where people can place their offers and others can take them in full or not.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
michaelGedi (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 02:10:00 PM

Because it isn't a normal floating exchange like Mtgox or Bitstamp, it only provides a platform where people can place their offers and others can take them in full or not.

yep, at a glance that's what I saw, thanks for clarifying

Zedster

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:07:58 PM

So far I have used Bitstamp for at least 5 times. SEPA (EU bank transfer system) bank transfer with fairly large sums of money and absolutely no problem.  What reason do you not like Slovenian banks, some preconceived notion? Bah. All banks are satan I don't care where they are.  But that is really no matter now as they have changed banks.  As a matter of fact they changed banks right in the middle of my largest transaction to date and I still had no problem.

NABiT

Activity: 321
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:14:51 PM

So far I have used Bitstamp for at least 5 times. SEPA (EU bank transfer system) bank transfer with fairly large sums of money and absolutely no problem. 

Me neither, I think it is a great service

What reason do you not like Slovenian banks, some preconceived notion?

Because - How eurozone backwater Slovenia became its latest liability - http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/21/us-slovenia-insight-idUSBRE93K06N20130421

But that is really no matter now as they have changed banks.

That's good news, do you happen to know where to?

gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 04:41:32 PM

I vouch for them, one of the swiftest exchanger out there with low fees and no limits once verified.

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
Zedster

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 05:49:28 PM

What reason do you not like Slovenian banks, some preconceived notion?

Because - How eurozone backwater Slovenia became its latest liability - http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/21/us-slovenia-insight-idUSBRE93K06N20130421

But that is really no matter now as they have changed banks.

That's good news, do you happen to know where to?

Interesting about the Slov banks.  I imagine this was partly their reason for the hasty retreat from the Slov banks.  I think they moved to a London bank but don't quote me.
dtuur

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 11:36:20 PM

Interesting about the Slov banks.  I imagine this was partly their reason for the hasty retreat from the Slov banks.  I think they moved to a London bank but don't quote me.

No they incorporated in London.
bit-fxtrader

Activity: 166

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 06:14:26 AM

do you have to get verified before you can receive a sepa transfer with bitstamp? mtgox requires this
NABiT

Activity: 321
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 07:19:49 AM

do you have to get verified before you can receive a sepa transfer with bitstamp? mtgox requires this

ACCOUNT VERIFICATION

In the event that you would like to remove the €1000 first time deposit limit on your unverified account or the €10,000 deposit limit for any future deposits and/or withdrawals, verification is necessary.

There are no transfer limits or trade limits for "verified" Bitstamp users.

RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:05:39 PM

I see Bitstamp still uses a slovenian bank!

Why have they still not changed to a more secure environment? Even Poland is better it seems.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: